Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Warranty, worthless and dishonest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Veh: 2017 Tesla S 75D (received in 2018). Mobile charger included w/veh

I went to Dublin Tesla Service Dept today to get them to replace my Mobile Charger as the portion that inserts into receptacle on vehicle was cracked. Been cracked for awhile as I was noticing a black gummy substance on the charging receptacle for awhile (wasn’t sure where it was coming from). In hindsight this appears to be electrical grease coming from crack in the Mobile Charging handle that is cracked.

To my surprise (not really, as Customer Service has always sucked), they wouldn’t replace it. First excuse was, we have exceeded the one year warranty period. Charging Equipment has a one year warranty if purchased separately. If purchased with vehicle, “Any Tesla connector or adapter included in the initial purchase and delivery of a Tesla vehicle by Tesla is covered under the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty section of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 4 years or 50,000 miles.”

Once I cleared up this issue with the service tech, he claimed the crack was not due to manufacturing defect but normal wear, as a red light would appear indicating a fault and thus a defect. I explained to him that Tesla Vehs were smart but not that smart as a inanimate part would not trip any red lights when it became cracked. He explained it might be from misuse and then later said it was definitely from misuse. It is possible he obtained his engineering degree in the amount of time he gave me the runaround.

Unit was never dropped (as indicated in photos) and veh never driven away while charger plugged in (as veh will not allow such action).

Anyone have similar issues and how was this escalated before I get stuck in a phone tree.

Attachments

• B2E63BDE-663B-4202-9E86-EC12FE8DB545.jpeg
    B2E63BDE-663B-4202-9E86-EC12FE8DB545.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 916AABFC-CE68-4021-A764-34269CEC49E8.jpeg
    916AABFC-CE68-4021-A764-34269CEC49E8.jpeg
    343 KB · Views: 78
  • 7D9593FC-8A1E-4392-8753-1F8415680249.jpeg
    7D9593FC-8A1E-4392-8753-1F8415680249.jpeg
    358.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 267C74E6-CCC8-4EB7-9FA3-2E4C1FA7E7BD.png
    267C74E6-CCC8-4EB7-9FA3-2E4C1FA7E7BD.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
  • 684BCA1F-0909-4114-A5C5-914BD2ACF550.jpeg
    684BCA1F-0909-4114-A5C5-914BD2ACF550.jpeg
    345.8 KB · Views: 78
It might not be grease. Could be from overheating. Have you ever seen a overheated drop cord or plug? They will often have a goo like substance.

If true, the crack you are seeing may also be caused by thermal stresses.

Next time you use it, ramp it up to max charge and take a temp reading with a thermal camera or similar device.

Then, take a drive to a different SeC and push the heat angle.

I think it would be hard to convince any company that a crack like that is a warrantable defect. I don’t see how that could be caused by anything but force.

Somebody ran into that thing with something - their hip or something else - while it was sticking out of the car. If it wasn’t you, it was someone else and they’re not copping to it.

We will probably never know for sure unless OP springs for a new MC, and decides to open it up and look inside.

Dielectric grease is not black, usually, and not gummy. Overheated plastic, ie, ABS, PVC, will crack and leak plasticizers.

I think it would be hard to convince any company that a crack like that is a warrantable defect. I don’t see how that could be caused by anything but force.

Not in the realm of possibilities that excess heat on the item could cause plastic to become more brittle and under “normal” force (different for each individual) that the plug could crack? The corresponding receptacle is not cracked.

Not in the realm of possibilities that excess heat on the item could cause plastic to become more brittle and under “normal” force (different for each individual) that the plug could crack? The corresponding receptacle is not cracked.

Esp if the plasticizers are leaking out...that makes things brittle. Like Bakelite back in the day.

I suppose it’s possible. I guess you could try and demonstrate that with some thermal readings of it charging under load.

Though even then I think you’ve still got a chicken/egg problem - is it damaged because it overheated, or did it overheat because it’s damaged?

I suppose it’s possible. I guess you could try and demonstrate that with some thermal readings of it charging under load.

Though even then I think you’ve still got a chicken/egg problem - is it damaged because it overheated, or did it overheat because it’s damaged?

My guess...chicken (the former) No way to tell without taking it apart, but the heat likely came from the inside, from the wires and connections.