Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(My message to the Tesla Service center in Richmond Va. and Tyson Corner Va.)

I have a 2015 Tesla Model S I purchased still under Tesla Bumper to Bumper Warranty and It powered off on me in the highway witch was extremely dangerous. I took it to the Richmond Tesla which I had to pay out of pocket for towing, they looked at it and found someone had applied a zip tie on the vehicle and said that the zip tie being on my vehicle voided my warranty, the vehicle need a new drive unit which a Richmond tesla tech told me cost 8000-9000 to fix it out of my pocket, the customer service was horrible also so I paid another tow truck to pickup the vehicle and take it to Tesla in Tyson corner Va. upon arriving at that service center they greeted me with great customer service and immediately checked out the vehicle and said Hi Mr. Jones, we diagnosed your vehicle. We found that your vehicle needs a new rear drive unit due to an isolation fault, which caused the alerts you saw on the 21st. In addition, we found it needs a new left fore arm and shock bolt, and for the water leak we need a new sunroof main seal. All of this is under warranty. Now, we also found we need a new left front hub due to it missing a stud. Since this is from outside influence, it would not be covered under warranty. If you would like us to proceed with this repair, we would be looking at $220 plus tax. Let me know how you would like to proceed with that.
-Paul

After this conversation Richmond red flagged Tyson Corner and told them don’t fix my vehicle because it had a zip tie on it, I didn’t personally see the zip tie but they had pictures of the bottom of a car with a zip tie on it for all I know it could’ve been another vehicle and they just made it seem like it was mine in the pictures they didn’t show it to me and they removed it without asking me anything or showing me. So it’s kinda funny they just drop the warranty as if Tesla didn’t want me to get my vehicle fix because I’m a young African American male.

This is my message to Paul at Tyson Corner Tesla

Hey Paul I appreciate you for being so kind and excellent customer service but I would like to speak with your Tesla Manager if possible or the Regional Manager. Paying the money to fix it is no problem, but me paying for something I didn’t do or didn’t even see with my Personal eyes is not acceptable. I know I have a used 2015 but what if I had bought a new 2019 and parked it at a super charger and left it and someone put a zip tie on it and I didn’t know, would I still have to suffer the Repercussions of someone else’s wrong doing? If I did something to the vehicle I 100% agree but I purchased this vehicle for $40,000 under the impression that it was still under Tesla Warranty and they would fix any problem, if you all are not willing to fix this problem with a zip tie, what else will Tesla come up with. I had 3 friends buy new Tesla’s in Virginia off of me promoting how good the vehicles are and I have about 40 more associates looking into them, I will contact Mr. Elon Musk in every social media I have, and write bad reviews on every site and go to the news about this situation if it isn’t resolved. He told me his manager doesn’t have to talk to me!!!!!!!!!! It this issue doesn’t be resolved I will boycott Tesla and go viral!!!!

If someone put a rock through your windshield at a supercharger station would that be under warranty?

I suggest you change your tactics. I would explore specifically how a zip tie damaged and voided your warranty.

If it did then maybe an insurance claim for damages?

The Richmond Service Center are crooks , crazy as hell.
Short story, i went in cause car wouldn't super chage, after v9 update.
Young boy hands me bill to sign, its $2000. WTF is this?
He says"your port is bad, door bad, and color ring"
I said u r crazy, who told u this? He sai Jacksonville did, that was a lie.
I refused it. (((( he did not know i had installed new port the night before)))
I agreed to let them chg port for 600. I stood there while they changed port, 30 minutes.
It did not fix the no charge. 3 technician with laptops could not fix sw problem.
They gave me a loaner after 6 hours.
Next day , called at noon, car ready.
Went in, asked lady at desk what they did, she said they loaded a sw patch.
Got home to Florida by luck.
Bottom line . Richmond are crazy crooks. They would not let me go to parts dept. I go to prts here in Jax all the time. .???
I'm going back up in May with old port and ask for refund. Yes, good luck. I know

My motor blew up literly in front of JAX SC last week.
They called and said. ""Your under car rubber guard was installed wrong, damaged cable, that ruined motor"". Not covered.
I exploded on him. Got NEW service manager on phone, i told her to read maintenance history, they removed the pan to look at suspension. I have papers to prove it.
Hours later she calls back. Motor , cable free under warranty. BUT ,, i have to pay for damaged pan. $125. WTF WHY.
I just gave up. OK. if that makes u happy. I got pan, it looks fine to me??
We might start to this sloppy Service Center stuff appear ? The 3s are cauing enormous strain on these tiny service center.