TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla was not the 1st to power a car with Panasonic 18650 Li-ion cells

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Cruisin, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Cruisin

Cruisin Member

I installed 8500 Panasonic 18650 cells in a 1970 VW driving it 235 miles before needing a recharge, this was before Tesla released the Roadster. Additionally I was a EV instructor in Fremont, CA. teaching EV conversion and Hybrid technology to laid off students from NUMI, later to be hired by Tesla using a Certificate of Completion I provided them at the end of the class. So, to be
    fair and set the record straight, the Tesla car was NOT the first electric car to be powered by Li-ion batteries, i.e. Panasonic 18650 cells.

2. AntronX

AntronX Member

3. Oil4AsphaultOnly

Keeping in mind that AC Propulsion were the ones who built the tzero, which is what Eberhard (when he was Tesla's CEO) tested out the 18650 on first, I think Tesla's claim is that they are the first to manufacture a car with it. Different claim with a distinction.

4. green1

green1 Active Member

Considering that the AC Propulsion TZero is, in a roundabout way, what became the Tesla Roadster, I'm still willing to give it to Tesla...
    Of course I'm also curious to hear more details about Cruisin's accomplishments (and when they were)

5. Cruisin

Cruisin Member

I acquired the 18650 cells from AST computer, installed them in a 1970 VW (can be seen on green overdrive on You Tube) and was driving it on the road in N California January 2006. I later sold the complete battery pack to two T____ engineers for a offer I couldn't refuse. Did I make a big mistake? Probably not. News media wants me to go on camera and say that Tesla stole my idea.

6. green1

green1 Active Member

That does sound like quite the feat, and congrats on selling the prototype to T____ I doubt you made a mistake doing so, unless you thought you could have commercialized it yourself, which is not an easy feat by any means!
    Though considering ACPropusion beat you to it by 3 years, and Tesla is known to have developed from that, I think you'll need to have a lot more than "I was before Tesla" to convince people here that it was your idea that Tesla went from...

7. flathillll

flathillll Member

cool story bro. solar car teams were using 18650 packs back in the late 90s. the hard part was making it safe. did your pack have cell level fuses? if so please show pics and I will give u props

8. AndreN

AndreN Member

See the following at AC Propulsion's website:

It's not in this quote but they used 6,800 18650 cells. That information's in their press release

9. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

This should not be in "Tesla News" section.

10. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

FYI "Cruisin" made similar claims years ago on DIYElectriccar before being banned for general unpleasantness and questionable business practices. He then joined up again under various user names until his posting behavior made it obvious who he was and got banned again. One example: Curtis 1238-144v - Page 2 - DIY Electric Car Forums

11. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

In that YouTube video you(?) mention 80-120 miles of range, here you say 235?