Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla was not the 1st to power a car with Panasonic 18650 Li-ion cells

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed 8500 Panasonic 18650 cells in a 1970 VW driving it 235 miles before needing a recharge, this was before Tesla released the Roadster. Additionally I was a EV instructor in Fremont, CA. teaching EV conversion and Hybrid technology to laid off students from NUMI, later to be hired by Tesla using a Certificate of Completion I provided them at the end of the class. So, to be
fair and set the record straight, the Tesla car was NOT the first electric car to be powered by Li-ion batteries, i.e. Panasonic 18650 cells.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I installed 8500 Panasonic 18650 cells in a 1970 VW driving it 235 miles before needing a recharge, this was before Tesla released the Roadster. Additionally I was a EV instructor in Fremont, CA. teaching EV conversion and Hybrid technology to laid off students from NUMI, later to be hired by Tesla using a Certificate of Completion I provided them at the end of the class. So, to be
fair and set the record straight, the Tesla car was NOT the first electric car to be powered by Li-ion batteries, i.e. Panasonic 18650 cells.

Keeping in mind that AC Propulsion were the ones who built the tzero, which is what Eberhard (when he was Tesla's CEO) tested out the 18650 on first, I think Tesla's claim is that they are the first to manufacture a car with it. Different claim with a distinction.

I acquired the 18650 cells from AST computer, installed them in a 1970 VW (can be seen on green overdrive on You Tube) and was driving it on the road in N California January 2006. I later sold the complete battery pack to two T____ engineers for a offer I couldn't refuse. Did I make a big mistake? Probably not. News media wants me to go on camera and say that Tesla stole my idea.

Considering that the AC Propulsion TZero is, in a roundabout way, what became the Tesla Roadster, I'm still willing to give it to Tesla...
Of course I'm also curious to hear more details about Cruisin's accomplishments (and when they were)

I acquired the 18650 cells from AST computer, installed them in a 1970 VW (can be seen on green overdrive on You Tube) and was driving it on the road in N California January 2006. I later sold the complete battery pack to two T____ engineers for a offer I couldn't refuse. Did I make a big mistake? Probably not. News media wants me to go on camera and say that Tesla stole my idea.
That does sound like quite the feat, and congrats on selling the prototype to T____ I doubt you made a mistake doing so, unless you thought you could have commercialized it yourself, which is not an easy feat by any means!
Though considering ACPropusion beat you to it by 3 years, and Tesla is known to have developed from that, I think you'll need to have a lot more than "I was before Tesla" to convince people here that it was your idea that Tesla went from...

cool story bro. solar car teams were using 18650 packs back in the late 90s. the hard part was making it safe. did your pack have cell level fuses? if so please show pics and I will give u props

I acquired the 18650 cells from AST computer, installed them in a 1970 VW (can be seen on green overdrive on You Tube) and was driving it on the road in N California January 2006.

See the following at AC Propulsion's website:

AC Propulsion said:
In 2003, tzero was upgraded to Lithium battery technology and achieved 0-60 mph in 3.6 seconds and range up to 300 miles.
It's not in this quote but they used 6,800 18650 cells. That information's in their press release