Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla was unable to complete install solar panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need advice.

I had my install scheduled for this past Saturday for a total of 19 panels going in my roof. Upon arrival one of the installers said that he wasn't sure about attaching the system to my existing power meter. He ended up calling a more experienced electrician who also said that it couldn't be done, I have an old pushmatic 200 amp panel before the installers left they told me that this was a mistake on their part and that I shouldn't have to pay additional money for their mistake. Today I got an email from my project advisor with a quote for a main panel upgrade. My concern here is that this should have been discovered during the home inspection phase and not the day of install. The installer finished everything except for the electrical part. Has this happened to anyone and what has been your experience? What should I do at this point?

• Informative
Reactions: Lubestaff
Sorry for your troubles.

I was told from the beginning that we would need to upgrade service in order to have PV/PW setup. I was given a choice to do in on my own or let installer take case of it. I got a quote from my electrician and installer's quote was very close. I decided to go with installer as their electrician was familiar with scope, team and requirements for PV/PW. He came and had everything done a day before the team arrived.
If you still want to continue with setup I would get few quotes, update the service and move on. I highly doubt you would get anything beyond " we are sorry" - I mean I don't expect any monetary compensation for this mistake.
Good thing about doing it now is you can claim it on your federal tax return as a part of solar project.

p.s. another common suggestion is to babysit every single detail on your project and know exactly what you want. During my project I've caught multiple errors that could cause delays in project. I also disagreed with initial equipment placement and we were able to change the project to my satisfaction and without any objections from inspector. Good luck

I went thru the same situation as solarAddict. I was given option to upgrade with my electrician or Tesla. Tesla pricing was almost double my electricians so I went with my electrician. Once city approved inspection of upgrade, I let Tesla know.

OP call your advisor explain what happened and that you didn’t expect to incur this expense this late in the install and hadn’t made plans for it. I’m assuming a main panel upgrade came in around $4-5K? Believe this work is subcontracted out. Ask if they can do something for you. The advisor would have to reach out to their manager and even that person likely would need authorization. I suspect they will do something for you. Ultimately the upgraded equipment will be a benefit to you however. Stay pleasant on the phone despite how frustrating it is to have to handle now.

Even with photos or sometimes site inspections things get missed. We had a 2004 200A main panel whose labels had long fallen off the panel. It wasn’t until city permit application time did we both learn from the city after they pulled old plans that the panel installed had a 200A bus (needed 225A for solar).

I’m sure everyone at Tesla is working hard to get as many homeowners hooked up as possible before YE.

Last edited: