Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla "Wave"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked my my Tesla less than a month ago, so there's still a giddiness I get whenever I drive it which I hope never goes away. However I still get a little excited when I see another Tesla on the road, as I had for 2 years while planning to get my own. Now I feel somewhat closer to this tight knit group.

I also continue to be a motorcycle enthusiast, and I have a similar passion and excitement about seeing other motorcycles and riders. However in this tight knit community, we all wave whenever we pass by another rider.

I suggest from now on that all Tesla drivers wave to each other while passing. Whether or not you choose to join me, if you see another Tesla driver excitedly waving to you as you drive by, you know who it is :)

My wife and I were driving over to the Carolina game today on Old Fayetteville Road in Chapel Hill about 11 am. We passed a nice gray or silver Model S going in the opposite direction, and I gave it a casual wave. Then I realized that I was driving my wife's car, and turned to her and asked "I wonder what that guy thought of the knucklehead waving at him from a minivan?" :biggrin:

My wife and I were driving over to the Carolina game today on Old Fayetteville Road in Chapel Hill about 11 am. We passed a nice gray or silver Model S going in the opposite direction, and I gave it a casual wave. Then I realized that I was driving my wife's car, and turned to her and asked "I wonder what that guy thought of the knucklehead waving at him from a minivan?" :biggrin:

Funny stuff. I've done that numerous times to Jeep owners when I'm not in my Wrangler.
Go Heels!!

funny... I used to do this, when there were very few. Now, I pass 2-4 on my 2 mile drive down Carmel Valley Road. Folks think you're nuts here in Carmel and Silicon Valley.

I just picked my my Tesla less than a month ago, so there's still a giddiness I get whenever I drive it which I hope never goes away. However I still get a little excited when I see another Tesla on the road, as I had for 2 years while planning to get my own. Now I feel somewhat closer to this tight knit group.

I also continue to be a motorcycle enthusiast, and I have a similar passion and excitement about seeing other motorcycles and riders. However in this tight knit community, we all wave whenever we pass by another rider.

I suggest from now on that all Tesla drivers wave to each other while passing. Whether or not you choose to join me, if you see another Tesla driver excitedly waving to you as you drive by, you know who it is :)

When I used to ride I did get the wave from motorcycle riders. Same for MINI Cooper drivers.

On my way home today from the Roseville SuperCharger I pass up a SolarCity car and the girl driver did give the thumbs up. Probably not the same.

The Tesla wave is officially dead in Toronto and it died in July 2015. I got my car in November 2014 and everyone waved. In June/July Tesla's Lawrence location delivered something like 200 cars.

Since then, it is just another car. Those drivers don't even look at another Model S let alone wave. I currently see about one Tesla per day now with a record high of five set just last week.

I still get waves when I drive anywhere else (Ottawa, Buffalo, etc) but not in Toronto. I'd almost buy a Model X just to be part of a rare club again.

I think part of the problem is people might not be aware you're also a Tesla until it's too late. Move recognized another Tesla and by the time my brain transmits the signal to my arm to wave, the couple second delay means the other Teslas already gone. I don't think it's necessarily intentional unfriendliness on people's part.