Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Waze no longer works in browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently it's because GPS was taken out of browser support? I can't believe there aren't more people upset about this being broken.
I was already unhappy with many of the new UI changes but this is the icing on the cake. I have used TeslaWaze for at least the last 18 months while traveling and found it to be a very valuable safety tool. For those not familiar TeslaWaze gives you, or least it did, wind speed and direction relative to the direction the car is traveling (ie.. tailwind/headwind); likewise, it overlaid weather information over the map, showed altitude along with things Waze shows like cops, wrecks, road hazards, traffic jams ...etc.

Reactions: Relayer and d-sub
I was already unhappy with many of the new UI changes but this is the icing on the cake. I have used TeslaWaze for at least the last 18 months while traveling and found it to be a very valuable safety tool. For those not familiar TeslaWaze gives you, or least it did, wind speed and direction relative to the direction the car is traveling (ie.. tailwind/headwind); likewise, it overlaid weather information over the map, showed altitude along with things Waze shows like cops, wrecks, road hazards, traffic jams ...etc.
Exactly. I like TeslaWaze much more than the Waze app on my phone, which is why I never used that version. There's no workaround until they fix it.
I hope they do, because it's one of the few things that is an easy fix for this disaster of a release.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Meh I just have my phone on my M3 charger with Waze running always. Tesla Waze isn’t the best implementation I found and it was always slow.
I have tried using the app on my phone since I have no choice, and it sucks.
It defaults to road view and doesn't have a simple display like the Tesla map. Also, you have to look away from the road to see it. TeslaWaze was the best use of the browser.

I have tried using the app on my phone since I have no choice, and it sucks.
It defaults to road view and doesn't have a simple display like the Tesla map. Also, you have to look away from the road to see it. TeslaWaze was the best use of the browser.
You should be able to change it in Settings. Click the Magnifying Glass -> Setting Gear -> Map display
Change Map view to 2D, turn off Auto Zoom, turn off Show Wazers. It should be more similar to TeslaWaze on a small screen.

• Informative
Reactions: gnxs and TSLA Pilot
You should be able to change it in Settings. Click the Magnifying Glass -> Setting Gear -> Map display
Change Map view to 2D, turn off Auto Zoom, turn off Show Wazers. It should be more similar to TeslaWaze on a small screen.
That's much more like it, thanks.
It still sucks to have to look down at the charging dock. I'm hoping they just fix what they broke in the browser soon, but unfortunately everything else is on fire for the dev team atm.

I'll try that, thx.
I've been actually using TeslaWaze on my phone browser, which is just a stopgap. It still sucks to have to look down at the charging dock. I'm hoping they just fix what they broke in the browser soon, but unfortunately everything else is on fire for the dev team atm.

Agreed - seeing it on the larger screen more in your view than on a phone is easier, safer, and will not get you pulled over for fiddling with your phone while driving in my area.

Reactions: JohnnyG and Relayer
I'll try that, thx.
I've been actually using TeslaWaze on my phone browser, which is just a stopgap. It still sucks to have to look down at the charging dock. I'm hoping they just fix what they broke in the browser soon, but unfortunately everything else is on fire for the dev team atm.
I use Waze on my phone every time when I go to work. I put Waze on my phone but I don't look at it. I have the audio sets to only announce incidents on the way (Police reported ahead, object on the road, accident reported ahead, etc). I have Tesla Nav on the car's map to my work. Tesla Map for visual, Waze for audio. I don't get to "see" the police icon but I will hear it and slow down LOL. Once in a while I do take a quick glance to the phone (my phone is mounted on a 1 foot tall cup holder mount) to see if there is any police way ahead. I only have to look about 20 degree down.

Concur with all of the above, except that on BOTH of our '19 and '20 Raven MS's, TeslaWaze hasn't worked for many months. Every time I've tried it just crashes the browser.

It's exasperating as I'd grown to love it over the years, and ever since mid-2021 it's been down for us. Tesla Service says, "Oh, it must draw too many resources and that's why it crashes the browser. Sorry, nothing we can do."

I use Waze on my phone every time when I go to work. I put Waze on my phone but I don't look at it. I have the audio sets to only announce incidents on the way (Police reported ahead, object on the road, accident reported ahead, etc). I have Tesla Nav on the car's map to my work. Tesla Map for visual, Waze for audio. I don't get to "see" the police icon but I will hear it and slow down LOL. Once in a while I do take a quick glance to the phone (my phone is mounted on a 1 foot tall cup holder mount) to see if there is any police way ahead. I only have to look about 20 degree down.

I like the in-car satnav, and so many of my complaints on the Tesla satnav would be solved if they had incidents and such show up - like other manufacturers do.

Reactions: Relayer
Apparently it's because GPS was taken out of browser support? I can't believe there aren't more people upset about this being broken.
I share your frustration. First it stopped working in my 2019 (prior to v11), now it no longer works in my plaid. Very frustrating. Don't even get me started on the complete uselessness of the browser in my wife's 2013.

Reactions: JohnnyG and Relayer
To each their own of course but I like the TESLaa app, Android Auto. Obviously for the Droid only but you can choose the displayed app including Google, Waze, or even ABRB. It actually appears much more stable to me on v11.
Thanks! I have never heard of this app. Just bought it to give it a try... I have so many $ credit in my Google account from Google Opinion and have nowhere to use it anyway.

Update: OMG, this app is so cool. I never had Android Auto in any of my cars before. Waze seems to work well. I will need to try it on my next drive. And it has Whatsapp messages! Best $5 ever spent on Play store. I actually like connecting it to my phone's Hotspot as my T-mobile has 20GB hotspot per month and the network is more stable than Tesla AT&T premium internet here in SoCal.

Last edited: