Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Waze no longer works in browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks! I have never heard of this app. Just bought it to give it a try... I have so many $ credit in my Google account from Google Opinion and have nowhere to use it anyway.

Update: OMG, this app is so cool. I never had Android Auto in any of my cars before. Waze seems to work well. I will need to try it on my next drive. And it has Whatsapp messages! Best $5 ever spent on Play store. I actually like connecting it to my phone's Hotspot as my T-mobile has 20GB hotspot per month and the network is more stable than Tesla AT&T premium internet here in SoCal.
Consider my curiosity piqued!

Last edited:
Tesla Waze stopped working before V11 with the black screen problem (could see the page was loaded but not getting geo info). I found others with the same issue, but it still worked on my brother's M3 just fine. The azure?whatever website works fine too as I can open Tesla Waze on my phone no problem. I agree that I don't think it's getting the geo location, but when I opened the new V11 browser tonight on ADS-B Exchange.com to look at an aircraft tracking map, the browser/website said it needed permission for my location, I clicked yes and it worked fine in the M3 with my location displayed properly. Big fan of Tesla Waze too, so hopefully there's a fix. Not a big fan of the new update, AT ALL! Navigating for stations is especially difficult. The recently listen to info for last played music channels/stations is hard to find and not working well on mine. Scrolling left to right now, and the recently played items are all jumbled up. And if I do anything with the screen while on a call the red phone symbol to hang up a call disappears leaving me droning on with long winded voice mail messages as I fumble for my phone to hang up the call. I've tried test calls to see how to get the red phone icon back up, not a clue. The UI used to be a major selling point over other automakers.

I paid $5 for the TeslAA app. While I much prefer the look of TeslaWaze, this is definitely a decent way to be able to get Waze on the Browser until (hopefully) they are able to get TeslaWaze back running. It is a much better option than having to look down all the time at the phone in the wireless charging area on my 2021.

Reactions: richapps
Sure it doesn't help TeslaWaze but it does put full Waze on the MCU screen including sound and touch screen feedback. I like it better than TeslaWaze.
I played with some more. It has some hiccups and I have no idea if it is a problem with TeslAA or with my Pixel 3 or with the car. Once in while, the map will stop updating, have to press the "refresh" on the browser to restore it. Spotify interface is missing the "heart" like button. Sometime the volume of Spotify music will suddenly drop lower and came back up. This never happen with Tesla Spotify app or with connecting thru my phone BT without Android Auto running.

The app itself turns on Hotspot on my phone automictically when my BT is connected to the car which is awesome, but because my car is already connected to the Home's WiFi, I have to manually switch it to the hotspot. And there is some kind of error on Tesla side that when you try to switch WiFi, it will try to tell you the password of the other WiFi is not correct even though it is. So you have to let it drop back to Tesla LTE and select again. I will have to do this every time I start the car from home unless I "forget" the home WiFi network then I won't get software updates as fast.

So overall, it is still really cool for $5 especially when I have like $80 in free play store credit. But I think I will go back to my old ways of using Tesla Nav and Waze on phone combo. I also like it that way because it gives me 2 ETAs. Usually Tesla ETA is later than the actual time, and Waze ETA is earlier than actual. So I would know if I just go down the middle, it would be the ETA.

With all the other issues with V11, I guess this hasn't gotten the attention it deserves.

The browser is (was) a major benefit of my Tesla (as well as TPMS). It was really most useful for weather and Waze. But they broke geolocation and now it's crap.

This is classic *wrecknology, folks: taking something that worked perfectly fine, and breaking it.
I am so disappointed!

Thanks! I have never heard of this app. Just bought it to give it a try... I have so many $ credit in my Google account from Google Opinion and have nowhere to use it anyway.

Update: OMG, this app is so cool. I never had Android Auto in any of my cars before. Waze seems to work well. I will need to try it on my next drive. And it has Whatsapp messages! Best $5 ever spent on Play store. I actually like connecting it to my phone's Hotspot as my T-mobile has 20GB hotspot per month and the network is more stable than Tesla AT&T premium internet here in SoCal.

I am not sure - did you install TESLaa app on your Tesla?

There's no way to install apps on a Tesla car. Google TESLaa - it's an app for Android phones. You use the web browser on the Tesla car to go to an URL that displays your phone screen running TESLaa

Thx!

"... use the web browser on the Tesla car to go to an URL that displays your phone screen..." is it only Android thingy? I know of none for iPhone, otherwise please educate me.

As I mentioned above, TESLaa is an Android app - meaning it runs on Android phones only. There are a couple of iPhone apps (TeslaMirror and AirTesla) that allow you to mirror the phone screen on the Tesla browser but from what I've heard they're clunky. They do a screen recording on your iPhone and stream it to the Tesla browser.

As I mentioned above, TESLaa is an Android app - meaning it runs on Android phones only. There are a couple of iPhone apps (TeslaMirror and AirTesla) that allow you to mirror the phone screen on the Tesla browser but from what I've heard they're clunky. They do a screen recording on your iPhone and stream it to the Tesla browser.

The biggest problem with the iOS screen mirroring apps is they cause your phone to overheat, especially if you have your phone sitting in the wireless chargers. That's where most of the performance issues people run into stem from. If you can keep the phone cool, they work pretty seamlessly, minus it just being a video, and not interactable on the screen.

There's a raspberry pi CarPlay project being worked on though, that seems to work quite similarly to TeslAA. I'm looking forward to that being released.

Reactions: Shahed and Relayer
This is bullshit - I am pissed. Why talk it out? I found this valuable and they pull it? Elon, the browser has always been terrible and now this? Why go backward.

I am beside myself with disappointment and anger.

I spent 2k to get 2.0 hardware so teslawaze would work better - and you pull it!!!

Reactions: Relayer
The biggest problem with the iOS screen mirroring apps is they cause your phone to overheat, especially if you have your phone sitting in the wireless chargers. That's where most of the performance issues people run into stem from. If you can keep the phone cool, they work pretty seamlessly, minus it just being a video, and not interactable on the screen.

There's a raspberry pi CarPlay project being worked on though, that seems to work quite similarly to TeslAA. I'm looking forward to that being released.
Exactly. I ran Waze on my Pixel 6 on the charger while driving 2hrs today, and my phone got wayyy too hot. A great way to roast a battery.
TeslAA was neat but still no good, didn't get Waze to work on my car browser, and running hotspot makes overheating worse.

Exactly. I ran Waze on my Pixel 6 on the charger while driving 2hrs today, and my phone got wayyy too hot. A great way to roast a battery.
TeslAA was neat but still no good, didn't get Waze to work on my car browser, and running hotspot makes overheating worse.
Interesting. I was going to upgrade my Pixel 3XL to 6 Pro a few months ago. Glad I didn't then. I drive 1 to 1.5 hr each way to work and phone never even get warm running Waze. I use a plug in wired charger though. Are you using wireless charging?

Interesting. I was going to upgrade my Pixel 3XL to 6 Pro a few months ago. Glad I didn't then. I drive 1 to 1.5 hr each way to work and phone never even get warm running Waze. I use a plug in wired charger though. Are you using wireless charging?
Yeah, it was wireless charging. I'm not about to go back to wired charging again, too much fuss with cables. Also, I don't like to charge my phone over 80% most times just like my Tesla. But even plugged in I know that running hotspot can tax the phone pretty hard.