Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla: We are updating all reservation timelines in the next few days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will we be mad or glad?

I don't know but:

Doesn't matter when you reserve/order anymore.
Doesn't matter if you are on the East Coast or West Coast anymore.
Doesn't matter if you waited in line back in March 16 anymore.
Doesn't seem to matter if you are a previous owner anymore.

I really don't know how they decide who gets their cars and when.

This makes a lot of sense. Within each category (LR P, LR AWD, LR RWD and SR), everyone will be sorted by reservation date. Think of it similar to boarding groups on airlines. Performance is Group A, LR AWD is B, LR RWD is C and SR is last. I wonder if they will clear out all of the current Performance orders before building any LR AWD and if new Performance orders are automatically slotted in front of existing AWDs, etc.

Perhaps Tesla can give estimated delivery time frames within 2-3 weeks instead of 2-3 months.

This makes a lot of sense. Within each category (LR P, LR AWD, LR RWD and SR), everyone will be sorted by reservation date. Think of it similar to boarding groups on airlines. Performance is Group A, LR AWD is B, LR RWD is C and SR is last. I wonder if they will clear out all of the current Performance orders before building any LR AWD and if new Performance orders are automatically slotted in front of existing AWDs, etc..

If the P motors are genuinely lot sorted that would be difficult to impossible....because it'd result in a huge stockpile of front motors sitting around waiting to build non-P AWD cars.

It'd make far more sense (especially since the P-AWD without the 5k pack and the non-P AWD appear mechanically the same car) to be building P to AWD in the same percentage as they have orders for both (or at least whatever percentage they're sorting the motors in... if the "best" 10% of any batch go into Ps then 10% of what you build that week are Ps, etc)

This makes a lot of sense. Within each category (LR P, LR AWD, LR RWD and SR), everyone will be sorted by reservation date. Think of it similar to boarding groups on airlines. Performance is Group A, LR AWD is B, LR RWD is C and SR is last. I wonder if they will clear out all of the current Performance orders before building any LR AWD and if new Performance orders are automatically slotted in front of existing AWDs, etc.

Perhaps Tesla can give estimated delivery time frames within 2-3 weeks instead of 2-3 months.

Hopefully, Tesla has the gate attendant my last flight had. She scans the first passenger for the flight, and flips on the PA system and says "Sir, we're boarding Sky Priority right now, not zone 4. You are in zone 4, the last zone. Please go sit down." much to the amusement of everyone in line....

I think there’s gonna be a lot of bumping back. Tesla has seemed to always make the more expensive cars first. So they will make all the P’s and then trickle new P orders in while they make mostly AWDs. If you wanted LR RWD the quick window has now past I think.

They could have been storing the higher performing motors for some time now. It doesn’t sound like motor production has been mentioned as a rate limiting step in the discussions about production rate.

Elon’s tweets about the P models seem to make it clear he wants to make as many of them as fast as he can due to the economics involved.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
As long as I get it before end of the year to get full $7500 I am ok. They have to built AWD as they are binning and sorting best motors for Pegormance model. As mentioned, not like those left around. Wonder what is the rate?

Pretty much this. That said, I don't see them stating that the timelines on the non-reservation/new order people to only be 2-4 months at worst if they can't fulfill their orders in at that time or less.