Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Weather App?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Just curious if you would find it useful if Tesla had a dedicated weather app, or weather info integration into nav? This might would require a subscription of some sort for weather data from Weather Underground or somewhere.

The Tesla browser app got me thing about this. The browser is not very useful, and the weather sites I've tried on it work exceptionally poorly on the Tesla browser. Most of the time the browser is just a tinker toy for me, but weather information would actually be useful for navigation planning and planning overnight stays.

I was thinking about the number of times I've tried to get weather information this year while traveling for work in my Tesla. It's been many times this year, where I have had to plan around storms, mostly to avoid hail, by changing my travel days, changing where I park, etc. I've avoided hail that I actually saw fall from the sky 3 times this year. Most recently, I was in the leading edge of a nasty storm and ended up having to call my wife to give me weather info so I could decide weather to stop and wait it out or keep driving to get ahead of it. That was just last week. Each time, a weather app in my car giving me rain radar and future weather info would have been super helpful.

Now most people don't travel nearly as much as I do for work, so maybe others wouldn't be interested. That's why I'm making this post. To see if others out there would have any interest in Tesla developing a weather app of some kind. Maybe integrated with the nav map, maybe not. Doesn't matter to me.

Weather radar would be the most helpful to me, but all weather info would be helpful.

How about the rest of you? Any interest in a dedicated weather app for your Tesla? Is this something Tesla should think about making?

Another alternative would be just improving the browser so that weather sites work on it.

Reactions: emorog and Sambas
So, maybe I'm missing the point but why not just use WeatherBug or Wunderground on your phone? One reason for not having things (apps) work better on the MCU is the 'free' bandwidth. I'm not sure I want it to work better to the point that Tesla starts charging us monthly for real bandwidth for apps.

So, maybe I'm missing the point but why not just use WeatherBug or Wunderground on your phone? One reason for not having things (apps) work better on the MCU is the 'free' bandwidth. I'm not sure I want it to work better to the point that Tesla starts charging us monthly for real bandwidth for apps.
I think the idea here is to have everything that the driver may need available in the center display with full integration with rest of the app. Remember we can use our phones to make calls, check our calendar and navigate but we don't, we use Tesla's app.
Many car companies (including our big three) offer some sort of weather app on their vehicles so I don't think it is costly.

Weather radar would be the most helpful to me, but all weather info would be helpful
Since rain, temperatures and wind have a significant impact on the range, I think all weather info should be available to the driver. I use Tesla winds and elevation website on the browser very frequently and I would love to have something similar integrated with the navigation app.

I have used tesla waze with radar on for my travels and hail avoidance. It has served me well in my commute. I always check the national radar and weather patterns before my cross country trips so even then only need local visablity while driving.

But yes I would still love a dedicated app for wind, temp, precip, and radar image live updates.

Thanks for all your replies so far. You've already mentioned a couple of additional possibilities for getting weather info that I didn't know about. I'll try them out.

As for just using an app on the phone, that's a reasonable question. There are 2 reasons. 1) It's just better to have it on the big screen and it could be helpful to have it showing while driving without having to handle a phone or use some wily phone holding contraption. 2) (not a good reason, mind you) I've still got a touch of phone rebel in me where long ago I resisted getting a cell phone at all; I finally had to comply so people wouldn't hate me, and the new smartphones were pretty nice, but I still resist using my phone for anything other than making phone calls and texting.

Thanks for all your replies so far. You've already mentioned a couple of additional possibilities for getting weather info that I didn't know about. I'll try them out.

As for just using an app on the phone, that's a reasonable question. There are 2 reasons. 1) It's just better to have it on the big screen and it could be helpful to have it showing while driving without having to handle a phone or use some wily phone holding contraption. 2) (not a good reason, mind you) I've still got a touch of phone rebel in me where long ago I resisted getting a cell phone at all; I finally had to comply so people wouldn't hate me, and the new smartphones were pretty nice, but I still resist using my phone for anything other than making phone calls and texting.
I've always found ProClip mounts excellent for mounting phones so you have them right in front of you in any car. Already got one for my coming Model X. There are other mounts that are good also. Having the phone next to the wheel is even more convenient than the 17" screen, believe it or not.

I used to be a big GPS (Garmin) fan, but gave it up with larger iPhones and constant updates from google maps and their using turn by turn directions and adding lane indications.

You can also switch to weather radar and keep the nav still running and telling you what to do, for instance. I think I'll be using the Tesla nav for the Supercharger locations (but I have EVTO-Tesla for that, also) and my phone for most else, unless Tesla improves things.

I do understand those who aren't glued to their phones all day (I'm in IT and it's a habit for me :D) liking the large screen's browser and apps more!