Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Website Redesign

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My care used to show up on the website, as a silver model S, which is my car on both the landing page and the detailed car page. Now after the redesign a blue model S and a black model S replaced it. Is it just me or is this the same for everyone? Lots of changes happening on the website lately.

It was a colossal pain in the ass to purchase an ESA these past few weeks. A few weeks ago, the form was present to enter contact and credit card info from the /support/[e-s-a] page. This week, it was gone. Wasn't just me - the phone support rep couldn't find it either and fortunately knew what I was talking about. Unlike the next two contacts. This after a local SvC said the best route was to call the 800#. Well, subsequent calls to the 800# and any attempts to reach an SvC via phone resulted either in no answer or no clue, including bad info.

Finally, I called Sales, who, go figure, answered, gave initially bad info, and then transferred me to a random human at a random SvC. All of this after the initial support ticket resulted in "You'll have to purchase through a SvC." See above when a local SvC said to purchase via phone support.

Anyway, the random human, after trying to find reasons to not take my money, finally acquiesced, took the payment via credit card, sent me an invoice for the ESA, and stated that my Tesla account online would reflect the ESA purchase and date thereof. Helpful since ESAs are transferrable and refundable (pro-rated in favor of Tesla, whether more mileage or more time elapsed, less the retail cost of any repairs performed under the ESA).

In other words, if you drive 25K miles/year, it's another $200/month and $200/visit with no annual service requirements anymore for 24 months of relative peace of mind. Unless you're smart like I was not and remember to purchase the ESA which is no longer available for purchase unless you're grandfathered, evidently, for $4250 instead of $4750 for the 50,000 additional miles of coverage. The 4 year thing is a joke - anyone who drives one of these chariots less than 12,500 miles/year has completely missed the point of owning one of the finest touring machines on the planet.

While annual services are no longer a thing, do consider brake fluid flushes every 25K miles as well as AC dessicant bag and refrigerant topoff service every 50K miles. Neither of which are covered by the ESA, but still - it's inexpensive preventative maintenance.

ESA would have been a waste of money for me. They are on average not worth it.
Not necessarily. A general statement like that doesn't take into the cost of the MCU/1 replacement out of warranty which can be pretty expensive as a single part.

MCU1 Replacement Costs.PNG

ESA would have been a waste of money for me. They are on average not worth it.

Yeah, on average they're not worth it because, in general, they are insurance polices and priced to cover the expected average repairs plus a "little" profit. But just like other insurance, some will have repairs higher than average and some lower. It's all about do you feel lucky.

Replacing the console screen for bubbles, later the mcu for flash memory, the instrument cluster for bubbles, drver's seat for failed sensor, cv joints and you are way over on the unlucky side of average.

Correct. You'd be winning the ESA game in that case.

@TIppy did all that happen to your 13, 16, or 19 model S?

And if you're buying cars at this frequency, trading in for newer... why would you ever ESA? You get a new warranty on each one. If you're a high miler and warranty is expiring on mileage before time clause you should consider trading up 2 years, or leasing.

Correct. You'd be winning the ESA game in that case.

@TIppy did all that happen to your 13, 16, or 19 model S?

And if you're buying cars at this frequency, trading in for newer... why would you ever ESA? You get a new warranty on each one. If you're a high miler and warranty is expiring on mileage before time clause you should consider trading up 2 years, or leasing.

2013. The wife likes the handling and lack of gadgetry of the P85+, so we decided to hang on to it until the 4yr extended warranty runs out.

Replacing the console screen for bubbles, later the mcu for flash memory, the instrument cluster for bubbles, drver's seat for failed sensor, cv joints and you are way over on the unlucky side of average.

No hes not, he ticked all the boxes of being a 5 year old owner. After owning a 2013 P85+ surely you can relate: things DO fail on a tesla, and its not like a normal car. Electronics are not like brake pads. ESA has been well worth it for many who encounter these "very normal" tesla issues, especially the MCU and half shafts.

Reactions: drklain