TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla website says $7500 rebate to Dec 31 2018 (via Reddit)

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by webdbbt, Jul 12, 2018.

1. webdbbt

webdbbt Member

Reddit user /u/victorssecr3t noticed a change to the Incentives page on Tesla's website. It indicates that the $7,500 federal rebate is available until Dec 31, 2018!

Electric Vehicle Incentives

This does look like confirmation that Tesla did or will deliver their 200,000 car in Q3!

[Edit] Meant to post this in Ordering Production Delivery.

• Informative x 2
  2. DanCar

DanCar Member

Suspect Tesla will drop some prices after new year to compensate, like cost of autopilot option.

• Disagree x 1
  3. smatthew

smatthew Member

I doubt that. FSD just keeps on going up in price.....

4. Mo City

Mo City Member

They definitely will have the option of dropping the base price in the future if/when necessary.

They definitely will NOT drop the price of FSD. It will continue to increase, probably significantly.

5. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

You know this how? o_O

• Like x 1
  6. Mo City

Mo City Member

Obviously it's an opinion.

A drop in the price of FSD is a total pipe dream IMO. Nothing more than nice fantasy.

(I assume you agree the production ramp will lower unit costs).

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

If the price of FSD increases significantly, Tesla's entire approach to it has failed. It's not just the idea of vision+radar, it's _cheap_ autonomy. Tesla wants to sell cheap autonomous vehicles directly to the public. The higher the cost of FSD the fewer autonomous cars they would be able to sell.

FSD is still $3k at delivery. They only upped the post-delivery price. They've changed the odds on the bet, but not changed the stake.

8. icefree

icefree Member

It indicates that the $7,500 federal tax credit is available until Dec 31, 2018!
    - FTFY

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. azred

azred Active Member

#9 azred, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    An absurd idea, huh? I recall when I bought my S60 19 months ago, the software cost to make it an S75 was $6000 at purchase. I passed even though the post-purchase price was a breathtaking $9000. Dumb decision, right? Not so much. The price dropped to $2000 less than six months later. I think your certainty about the future of software upgrade prices is the total pipe dream. As fed tax credits disappear, waiting lists shrink and competition from other builders increases, some price adjustments downward may be much more than a fantasy.

• Like x 2
  10. Stacks

Stacks Member

Autopilot and FSD driving will only decrease when other competing car companies have their own cheaper alternatives imo.

• Like x 1
  11. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

This makes more sense than @Mo City "opinion"

12. remlemasi

remlemasi Member

(Kind of a double-post from the other thread, but I'll put it here anyway since they're related)

With Tesla's announcement that the $7,500 federal credit will last for deliveries through 12/31/2018, are prospective buyers, especially for LR RWD at 3-5 months, simply taking a $2,500 gamble that they'll receive the full $7,500 credit?

I know production is ramping up very aggressively, but with Tesla's track record for over-promising and under-delivering, how can anyone be sure they will get the full tax credit? Many buyers may be planning financially to receive that extra, $3,750 at tax time.

13. azdryheat

azdryheat Member

Doesn't this mean the 200K US car is delivered 2Q 2018? I thought once it hit, the next 2Q were at $7500?

14. remlemasi

remlemasi Member

It's the REMAINDER of the quarter in which the 200,000th vehicle was delivered (transferred, titled, whatever) PLUS the following quarter.

15. DanCar

DanCar Member

No, it means the 200K was delivered in Q3.

16. DanCar

DanCar Member

Some companies like Subaru have said they will bring level 2 driverless to cars as a standard option. I think Subaru already has this on one car in Japan. Here is an incomplete list of cars with Level 2 driverless capability:
    Lane centering - Wikipedia

17. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

As a 3-time purchaser of FSD (S, S, 3), I can tell you this is incorrect.

The "defer" premium on the feature has risen, and only once. Thus, even for that "keeps on going up in price" is an odd way to describe a { horizontal line, step function up, horizontal line } historical pricing chart.

18. azdryheat

azdryheat Member

19. drawfour

drawfour Member

I'm not going to read those articles, but either they're wrong or you're reading them wrong.

The tax credit is applicable for the REST of the quarter they hit the 200k mark in, plus the next. If they hit it on June 30, then it would apply only through Q3, because June 30 is in Q2. If they hit it on July 1, then you get it for the rest of Q3 plus Q4.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. azdryheat

azdryheat Member

I guess we will wait and see. Everything I read says the next two quarters AFTER hitting the 200K mark. We will know soon.

• Disagree x 4