Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla website says $7500 rebate to Dec 31 2018 (via Reddit)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess we will wait and see. Everything I read says the next two quarters AFTER hitting the 200K mark. We will know soon.

From your first link:
Two quarters after a manufacturer hits 200,000 units, the tax credit available to their customers is cut in half.

Hit 200,000 on May 15.
ONE quarter after (July 1 - Sept 30) Full Credit
TWO quarter after (Oct 1 - Dec 31) Cut in half

I stand corrected.

Thanks.
You can find the IRS publication at Plug In Electric Vehicle Credit IRC 30 and IRC 30D | Internal Revenue Service. At the very bottom:

IRS Publication said:
The qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”). Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and 25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period. Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period.

The phase-out is the "second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000... have been sold". So the phase-out is the first cut-in-half credit quarter, and that means you get the rest of the quarter the 200k was hit, plus the "first quarter after", and then the "second quarter after" is when the phase-out begins.

As a 3-time purchaser of FSD (S, S, 3), I can tell you this is incorrect.

The "defer" premium on the feature has risen, and only once. Thus, even for that "keeps on going up in price" is an odd way to describe a { horizontal line, step function up, horizontal line } historical pricing chart.
I went on a test drive on Tuesday afternoon and the sales rep indicated that the FSD after-install price was rising to 6K.
Of course, the rep could have been mis-informed.

Autopilot and FSD driving will only decrease when other competing car companies have their own cheaper alternatives imo.
How long will it be before competitors reduce their sky high additional hardware costs to anywhere near $10,000.00? My advice is don't hold your breath.

I'm not trying to burst bubbles or be negative, but I cannot see why Tesla won't increase the cost as FSD improves. It just makes sense. I believe in the next couple of years FSD will improve enough that it becomes an absolute "must have" and Tesla will capitalize (as it should).

Sometime in the semi-distant future when a large portion of new cars have autonomous hardware, competitive costs will indeed become a factor.

How long will it be before competitors reduce their sky high additional hardware costs to anywhere near $10,000.00? ...
What are you referring to? Mobileye implementation doesn't cost that much. Propilot is mobileye only without lidar. We will know at end of year cost of driverless level 2 and level 3 but where looking in the neighborhood of $1,500 and $8K respectively.

Brian - you said "Oh it's just a one time increase."
I replied "The sales replays it's rising to 6K post install." That means 2 price jumps. from 4-5, and from 5-6.....
Interesting.

Down the line as the gap between FSD and EAP widens, the cost of FSD will continue increasing. It's hard to imagine now because there is no legit difference between the two other than price. In the future, this will be a distant memory as they become truly separate and distinct products.