Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla website - used inventory - gone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am waiting (and waiting) for my used model S from Tesla. price was pretty good and the exact spec wanted so will keep waiting while they sort out their finance system to they can bill people!!! But, noticed their used inventory for MS is now just 1 car (at a price that looks v high)! Maybe they sold out or maybe they have such a drama that they can't even list cars for sale now since the Christmas break. odd

I placed an order for a used Model S on the 3rd December, with a £4000 deposit and have been given the runaround ever since. We're now 33 days in and I have absolutely no information on the status of my order.

I did get a couple of photos in the first 24 hours of the actual car but after that just 'maybe next week' or nothing emails....

What other car manufacturer would behave like this? I can go and drive off in a used-approved BMW or Mercedes benz tomorrow - and it will be in showroom condition *before* I have to put £4000 down.

I placed an order for a used Model S on the 3rd December, with a £4000 deposit and have been given the runaround ever since. We're now 33 days in and I have absolutely no information on the status of my order.

I did get a couple of photos in the first 24 hours of the actual car but after that just 'maybe next week' or nothing emails....

What other car manufacturer would behave like this? I can go and drive off in a used-approved BMW or Mercedes benz tomorrow - and it will be in showroom condition *before* I have to put £4000 down.

Only 33 days? I'm currently at 65 days now... And sick and tired of the hopeless lack of communication / lack of responses to emails / unanswered phones etc. I've been more than loyal to Tesla since 2011 .. but am so pissed orf with whats happened to the company that .. I'm thinking of making the transition back to unsustainable transport in the form of a tweaked Jag F-Type SVR with similar poke to a P100DL albeit at 10mpg, and drive it until the wheels fall off, before returning the fold for a MS Plaid Mk2.

The US side of this site is also full of threads about how impossible it is to speak to a human, and terrible problems using the bizarre SMS way of communication - that just doesn't work at present. If Tesla doesn't address this soon then the company will collapse when 360,000 new M3 owners start getting angry when they too realise its impossible to sort their faults out.

But you're not alone. Quite a few other people have posted about their CPO / UK buying difficulties including me. See this thread here :-

CPO buying – anyone else having extreme difficulty with Tesla UK ?!?

Last edited:
But you're not alone. Quite a few other people have posted about their CPO / UK buying difficulties including me.

As I mentioned in the thread you linked, it creates entirely the wrong level of expectation to continue calling it a 'CPO' scheme.

Tesla ended CPO a while ago now, it is just a used car sales scheme these days and one you cannot inspect before delivery.

As I mentioned in the thread you linked, it creates entirely the wrong level of expectation to continue calling it a 'CPO' scheme.

Tesla ended CPO a while ago now, it is just a used car sales scheme these days and one you cannot inspect before delivery.

.. so, the CPO car I thought I bought over 2 months ago was not a CPO car that had not been refurbished ?

Heres a screen grab of the misleading advert for the car :-

misleading CPO statement then.jpg

Who knows with Tesla, but it looks like you have either received an unexpected benefit, or they advertised it incorrectly...

For over a year now since the CPO scheme ended they have only listed used vehicles as benefiting from a mechanical check, with no refurbishment. If yours was actually listed as CPO Refurbished then you may have got lucky.

How was the condition of bodywork, interior etc.?

Who knows with Tesla, but it looks like you have either received an unexpected benefit, or they advertised it incorrectly...

For over a year now since the CPO scheme ended they have only listed used vehicles as benefiting from a mechanical check, with no refurbishment. If yours was actually listed as CPO Refurbished then you may have got lucky.

How was the condition of bodywork, interior etc.?

The 'CPO refurb complete' was misleading .. The photos of the car that eventually turned up (1 week after putting down the deposit..) were NOT good, and the advertised spec was also seriously wrong. The condition was not good with many marks on the bodywork and damage to the seat leather. Many of the photos had BCA sticker arrows on them that BCA themselves show with their own pre-auction adverts, so I presume this particular CPO car was not a trade-in, but actually an auction purchase. They also refused to detail any significant history for GDPR reasons (!), and refused to supply a summary of what was on the "70 point" inspection list but still expected me to fork out the full payment without a chance to even inspect. I suspect someone running their CPO program is ruthlessly pulling all this off because of high demand, and that they know they don't have much EV competition. But if/when the Germans get their act together (probably in about 5 yrs !) then Tesla will have to seriously modify the way they treat their customers.

This was all two months ago, and despite 30+ emails and phone calls, I've only had a few responses, most of which were SMS's saying 'we cant deliver until late November due to internal problems with raising an invoice' .. to .. 'we cant deliver until end of December' .. to .. 'actually we don't know when our software and invoicing system is going to be back online so we don't actually know when we can deliver'.

Its been absolutely hopeless. So they've agreed to just cancel the deal and return the deposit. I presume many others will be doing the same, none of which instils any confidence in their ability to deal with customer issues after handing over a sizeable wedge of cash.

Last edited:
Invitation. Offer and acceptance. Under UK consumer la Tesla have entered into a contract with you. It might be different in the US but EU/UK law is pretty clear.

Write to Tesla giving them 21 days to perform the contract.
If they fail to do so you can buy another vehicle of similar spec and take them to small claims for 'loss of bargain'

I would not have waited any more than 3 days on buying a used car from anyone.
Tesla are going to learn a very hard lesson especially in 2 or three years when all the lease model 3 go back to them and the arse falls out of the Tesla second hand market because there is no confidence in Tesla support.
I leased mine from LeasePlan so it will be their problem.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Its been absolutely hopeless. So they've agreed to just cancel the deal and return the deposit. I presume many others will be doing the same, none of which instils any confidence in their ability to deal with customer issues after handing over a sizeable wedge of cash.

Glad you've got a resolution.

Other than that one line in the advert, was there actually any mention of 'CPO' anywhere else?

It's so crap, spending so much money and looking forward to getting an exciting car and now feeling really pissed off by their inability to raise an invoice. I mean really FFS just hire a person give them a card machine and a spreadsheet and get the business working. Such a bad experience - now considering buying privately (thanks for those that replied to my earlier thread on that) or buying an i-Pace. Trouble I will have next is that I had a charger installed with the rebate and they will be asking for proof of car ownership else will want the rebate back, I think I had 28 days which is v soon (or maybe passed by) so I guess will mean I have to take Tesla to small claims for breach of contract if I have to repay that - though contract does not state a delivery date of course!!!

Anyone purchasing a Used Model S then make sure you ask for their detailed pictures before buying, its often that there is some dents to the cars and also often faults with the car, their '1001 used car checks' are useless and you can end up like everyone else waiting for months for a fix.

If they can't even get the 'New' model 3s to customers without paint problems don't expect a used car from them to be in a good condition....

Tesla are going to learn a very hard lesson especially in 2 or three years when all the lease model 3 go back to them and the arse falls out of the Tesla second hand market because there is no confidence in Tesla support.
I leased mine from LeasePlan so it will be their problem.

I would not be surprised at all if they decide to do something strange with the lease returns to prop up the market in someway

Gonna chip back in again here - looks like NOBODY is taking delivery of their Tesla used vehicles since November.

Just to say that I think it's reasonable to buy a used vehicle online without having seen it in the flesh. I buy stuff online all the time and am happy with the fact it's a large company and UK consumer law protects me quite well against any vendor selling me something which doesn't align with the statutory protections afforded to the vendor and consumer.

Whilst buying a used vehicle privately has it's advantages (namely lifetime-supercharging and perhaps a slightly lower price), buying used from Tesla still has something nobody else can do - namely 4 years / 50,000 miles warranty on the whole car).

I've taken some advice from above and sent them this email today to both Pieter (it seems they only have ONE person in the whole of Western Europe dealing with any of this) and their UK order email address:

Under UK and EU consumer law we have Invitation, Offer and Acceptance. All of this has happened between myself and Tesla and has created a contract between us.

You have made an ‘invitation to treat’ and made an offer to sell me a used Tesla car, I have accepted the offer via your website, you have removed the item from your catalogue, taken a £4000 deposit and sent me a contact. Therefore I have accepted the offer and you have accepted the offer.

It is expected that Tesla fulfil their side of the contract by supplying this good to me in a ‘reasonable time’.

It is now 37 days which is no longer a ‘reasonable’ amount of time – especially as repeated promised of delivery ‘next’ week’ have occurred over the last 5 weeks.

We have wasted time and money on hire cars, responding to emails and anticipate reduction in value of the goods. If we cannot find an amicable resolution to this before 15th January 2020, we will be seeking to cancel the contract and will take Tesla to the small claims court for damages.

Please can you do whatever is necessary to fix your issues with invoicing and fulfil the contract as agreed.

I look forward to hearing from you.

I've done the 'small claims court' thing a few times before - against large companies - and won. In the case of Tesla I can see them not even contesting such a thing if they're so disorganised they can't even deliver a car that's parked 30 miles from my house....

I bought a 2016 Model S direct from Tesla a few months ago so thought I'd share my more positive experience.

Enquired via website once or twice with no reply, however when they did get in touch and I had a contact (Pieter who was very helpful) then it was quick to get specs and images of cars.

Lots of cars seemed in poor condition with images of scratches, leather scuffs etc however I went with what I saw as a good deal and was pleasantly surprised as the suffs and scratches were MUCH less visible than on the very critical photos.

I found them actually very helpful having put down a deposit and changing my mind and they moved it to another car to complete.

It did then take a bit of chasing to locate the car etc however that sounds a bit par for the cause.

Buying direct has the big benefit of the 2/4 year extended warranty which I wanted for peace of mind.

Previous screenshot look like tesla-info data so not tesla specs.

Overall very happy with the car, so good luck to people waiting!

I bought a 2016 Model S direct from Tesla a few months ago so thought I'd share my more positive experience.

Enquired via website once or twice with no reply, however when they did get in touch and I had a contact (Pieter who was very helpful) then it was quick to get specs and images of cars.

Lots of cars seemed in poor condition with images of scratches, leather scuffs etc however I went with what I saw as a good deal and was pleasantly surprised as the suffs and scratches were MUCH less visible than on the very critical photos.

I found them actually very helpful having put down a deposit and changing my mind and they moved it to another car to complete.

It did then take a bit of chasing to locate the car etc however that sounds a bit par for the cause.

Buying direct has the big benefit of the 2/4 year extended warranty which I wanted for peace of mind.

Previous screenshot look like tesla-info data so not tesla specs.

Overall very happy with the car, so good luck to people waiting!

Such a shame you got yours and it seems everyone else since November is just stuck because they 'can't invoice'....!