Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla went haywire this afternoon [ re opening frunk, screen going black]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was sitting outside a store with the car on waiting for my wife when all of a sudden the frunk opened itself while parked. It then kept reopening the frunk after I got out to shut it. I even noticed the latch for the frunk kept moving when I opened it (jiggering back and forth), suggesting a software goof.

I then got back in the car, turned around a corner, and the screen shut off. I parked, I had to do a soft reset a couple of times because the screen kept going black after reboot, and then finally the screen came back on and stayed on, and the car is now acting normally. The only thing I did before all this was use screen clean mode.

Any idea? Did the heat make the software go nuts? Should I book a service appointment?

PUT (and update) YOUR firmware version in your profile
signature, so that we can compare to other reports.

I have had all sorts of odd things with 2021.4.18, like
losing the backup camera for a whole day, and changes
in the behavior of the Blue Nag.

How old is your car? That sort of strange behavior can happen when the 12V battery is dying.
I had the same thing happen to my car after cleaning the screen and my car was just delivered end of last year (so can't be 12V battery). A reboot solved it. It seems to be from phantom touches from whatever residue remains on the screen (or maybe the cleaning messes with the touch calibration) and somehow rebooting resolves it.

I had the same thing happen to my car after cleaning the screen and my car was just delivered end of last year (so can't be 12V battery). A reboot solved it. It seems to be from phantom touches from whatever residue remains on the screen (or maybe the cleaning messes with the touch calibration) and somehow rebooting resolves it.
Yeah, that had to have been it. It's been now driving for several weeks without a single problem. Learned my lesson...

PUT (and update) YOUR firmware version in your profile
signature, so that we can compare to other reports.

I have had all sorts of odd things with 2021.4.18, like
losing the backup camera for a whole day, and changes
in the behavior of the Blue Nag.
I also experience black rear camera on this firmware version. Seems to happen when I use the touch screen to open the trunk. After a deep sleep camera will turn work again. I will need to confirm if opening trunk from the screen is causing it. (I do have hansshow trunk kit installed, don't think this is the issue because it haven't had any issue on previous firmware).

I will try a hard reset disconnect 12v etc hopefully it will work. If not, hopefully next update whenever I get it resolves it.

So I was sitting outside a store with the car on waiting for my wife when all of a sudden the frunk opened itself while parked. It then kept reopening the frunk after I got out to shut it. I even noticed the latch for the frunk kept moving when I opened it (jiggering back and forth), suggesting a software goof.

I then got back in the car, turned around a corner, and the screen shut off. I parked, I had to do a soft reset a couple of times because the screen kept going black after reboot, and then finally the screen came back on and stayed on, and the car is now acting normally. The only thing I did before all this was use screen clean mode.

Any idea? Did the heat make the software go nuts? Should I book a service appointment?
I had something similar during my delivery. I was in the car and all four windows rolled down an inch, then rolled back up. Reminded me of The Onion article about Teslas suffocating their owners lol. One of the SA's was walking by and I asked for help. Even he was perplexed. I then wondered if it was my phone. I found that my phone was on and the face facing my skin in my shorts. Somehow it was activating the "Vent" windows option constantly.

I am wondering if potentially a similar thing happened to you?

I also experience black rear camera on this firmware version. Seems to happen when I use the touch screen to open the trunk. After a deep sleep camera will turn work again. I will need to confirm if opening trunk from the screen is causing it. (I do have hansshow trunk kit installed, don't think this is the issue because it haven't had any issue on previous firmware).

I will try a hard reset disconnect 12v etc hopefully it will work. If not, hopefully next update whenever I get it resolves it.
I have been having the exact same issue for the last month. I too have the hansshow trunk kit installed. (Version with the connector under the rear deck). It only occurs when I open the trunk (screen or rear button) and clears after a deep sleep. I know hansshow is doing something to display the trunk opening and closing repeatedly. I wonder if it is related. (Currently on 2021.4.18.3)

I have been having the exact same issue for the last month. I too have the hansshow trunk kit installed. (Version with the connector under the rear deck). It only occurs when I open the trunk (screen or rear button) and clears after a deep sleep. I know hansshow is doing something to display the trunk opening and closing repeatedly. I wonder if it is related. (Currently on 2021.4.18.3)
Good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this issue. Confirmed it happens regardless which method I use to open the trunk. Never had any issues on previous firmware until I updated. I hope it's the firmware issue (2021.4.18.2) and it will be fixed on later firmware.

I haven't got time to try hard reset. When I do and if it fixes the issue I'll report back.