Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wheel change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone set an appointment for tesla to come and change out after market wheels from stock ones? Yes they would be already mounted and balanced, thank you everyone

No idea what this would cost. I will buy stock Tesla Geminis from someone selling them here and put them on the car myself. If I didn't know how to do this I would ask around amongst my friends until I found someone willing to show me. In fact, if I were local I would come help you out myself. Have you checked the local area of Tesla Motors Club for people in your area interested in helping out fellow Tesla owners?

Keith

Has anyone set an appointment for tesla to come and change out after market wheels from stock ones? Yes they would be already mounted and balanced, thank you everyone
Tesla will not touch any aftermarket stuff, period. I had one of the TPMS go bad in my aftermarket set and the SC said it wasn't their problem. Ended up purchasing a replacement set of TPMS and went to local tuning shop to get them swapped. It actually worked out better since they have a really expensive wheel/tire mount/balance machine that does not scratch the wheels. :cool:

If you are going to have them already mounted and balanced at a wheel/tire shop somewhere, why wouldn't you ask them to swap them? Just curious. Make sure you remember to remove the TPMS from the factory wheels to put them in the new wheels.

I didn't realize this -- Can't I have a TPMS on both sets of wheels (my 3 season Gemini and the winter tires I will be buying)? I've never cared much about TPMS before.
Yes. Of course. That's exactly what I am doing. TPMS are over the counter parts at your neighborhood SC. $75 a piece. I have the Gemini wheels/tires for SoCal rainy winter months and the nice aftermarket ones for all other months. :cool:

My personal experience my service center here was hesitant to change my wheels i ordered from tsportline and tires from tirerack giving me the run around

i personally had my local pep boys assemble the wheel and tires and install the tmps i got from tire rack https://m.tirerack.com/tpms/results...Model+Y+Long+Range&autoYear=2021&autoModClar=
My service center had the tmps out of stock last month so i went ahead and got them there cuz I wasn’t gonna wait

and then i picked them up and swapped out my geminis for my aftermarket assembled ones in my garage saved myself 80$ to swap them at pep boyz

Thank you guys for the advice. I live so rural it is hard to find anyone out by me. Tesla is coming tomorrow and we will see how it goes. I will keep you posted. I got the tires mail order from tsportline also already set up with correct tpms and mounted and balanced. all I need is jacked up and swapped out. we will see if telsa does it or gives me the run around when they get to my house.

Reactions: dino007
My personal experience my service center here was hesitant to change my wheels i ordered from tsportline and tires from tirerack giving me the run around

i personally had my local pep boys assemble the wheel and tires and install the tmps i got from tire rack https://m.tirerack.com/tpms/results...Model+Y+Long+Range&autoYear=2021&autoModClar=
My service center had the tmps out of stock last month so i went ahead and got them there cuz I wasn’t gonna wait

and then i picked them up and swapped out my geminis for my aftermarket assembled ones in my garage saved myself 80$ to swap them at pep boyz
I also ordered TPMS through Tire Rack and they’re waiting for me at Firestone. They will be mounting new tires on some Inductions I picked up. The guy I spoke to on the phone was concerned that the TPMS wouldn’t work with their software but they are auto detected by the car right?

I checked the price and Tire Rack is selling these for $95 each and Tesla is selling them for $75 each. So why not just buy direct from Tesla and they will cover from a warranty perspective no? or am I missing something...
Yea I didn’t wanna wait for my local tesla service center to be in stock, was just me being impatient but naturally yea go thru the service center if they got them

I also ordered TPMS through Tire Rack and they’re waiting for me at Firestone. They will be mounting new tires on some Inductions I picked up. The guy I spoke to on the phone was concerned that the TPMS wouldn’t work with their software but they are auto detected by the car right?
Yea i legit didn’t do anything or my local pep boys the car automatically picked it up after driving it for 15 minutes

Reactions: maxshafiq
OK update, no issue swapping out the stock wheels and tires for the aftermarket ones. Tesla Service guy was cool no issue. The reason I did not do it myself is because of my schedule and $100 is well worth it compared to my time. I have worked machines, equipment, etc all my life, I have the skills, tools, etc. My question was a simple one, will tesla come out and swap out wheels that are aftermarket? Now I know the answer and my wife can handle a call if I am not available to do it or not around on this earth anymore. Simple as schedule a service appointment. Simple answer is yes no issue at all. Now I have a set of stock 20" induction wheels with no curb rash and tires with 2k miles on them that I might possibly sell.

Reactions: dino007 and DanDi58