Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla - where are my (HW2) auto rain sensing wipers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before my Tesla, I only owned BMWs, and my E46 M3 bought in 1996 had this feature. :) Not complaining, just amused that it's taking so long for them to get this working.

I saw an ad for a BMW 550i that said something like "We've been doing this for 135 years." (give or take 100 years, I can't remember) But they're right. They've been at this a long time, and their quality shows. I'd be all over their next gen cars if they were pure electric.

Well i'm complaining :)

it's pure hubris that led to this. They decided to save a few bucks (literally) and dump the dedicate sensor to attempt camera recognition instead.

Agree.
And I'm all for a bit of hubris, it can be what makes stuff special.
But dumping a well established rain sensor for theoretical camera detection seems like a painful way of re-inventing the wheel to me.

It has to be required for anything above L2 EAP. Hope we don't have to wait until then.

Tesla obviously believe they can do it, as the Model 3 doesn't have a sensor either and they surely would have capitulated and fitted a rain sensor to it as a new model if they couldn't make it work.

I guess they will end up with a redesign and retrofit. Mass recalls have happened before. Better do that right away. Really sad decision from our favourite car company.
I had this for my last 2 cars the last 6 years, worked excellent. Huge increase in safety passing truck or in damp tunnels.

I am on it in written form, waiting for answer. Depending on that, next step is consumer protection agency to force a resolution.

After 4 years buying Tesla cars there is one thing I learned: the best way to avoid stress and disappointment when it comes to buying Tesla products is to never ever pay for anything Tesla says will come in the future. If you have no choice because the future feature was bundled with some option you do want, expect it will never get there while you own the car. If it comes, it will be a nice surprise, but until then, or if it never comes, you'll feel much better about your purchase."Expect the worse, hope for the best" approach unfortunately applies all to well to any Tesla vapourware features.

@J1mbo, The (Mercedes-sourced) Light and Wiper stalk on AP2-cars are so small and flimsy, so enganging wipers is really clumsy. The old multi-stalk is much bigger and easier to handle. Any normal stalk where wipers are up/down instead of rotating would be prefered in situations there you need to activate wipers fast, but that means another right hand stalk.

Reactions: arlorose
I thought i saw a few threads (here and Tesla's own forum) where it was confirmed that the Model 3 does have a rain sensor? Or did i dream that?
Technical discussion here:
AP2.0 Cameras: Capabilities and Limitations?

1006811-14981321245389838_origin.jpg

Reactions: BigD0g
I guess they will end up with a redesign and retrofit. Mass recalls have happened before. Better do that right away. Really sad decision from our favourite car company.
I had this for my last 2 cars the last 6 years, worked excellent. Huge increase in safety passing truck or in damp tunnels.

I am on it in written form, waiting for answer. Depending on that, next step is consumer protection agency to force a resolution.
I would be really interested to how it gos so far for you. I am thinking some legal action as well. Tired of this stupid rotating control. My son's 18$K Mazda has it and it is working well!

We need a new poll. Why no rain sense wipers on AP2 yet?

1) The rain sense wipers guy/gal has been busy on a higher priority project
2) The rain sense wipers is low impact low risk, so it's allocated to interns and the new guys/gals, and you know how that goes sometimes.
3) Some engineer said "this hardware will work just fine for rain sense wipers", only to say "oops" after hardware rollout, and now they are struggling to fix the oops.
4) The software is done, but it's buried in a release branch that has other software changes that are dragging and buggy, and no one has wanted to try to split out the code.
5) They lost the certificate for the communications protocol and don't know what to do.
6) They want to be able to say they got AP2 up above parity with AP1 even before they had the wipers working.
7) The wipers guy was told he had to fix the buggy door handles he designed first.