Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla - where are my (HW2) auto rain sensing wipers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These were never promised and never part of the Model S to begin with. Compare apples to apples and stay on topic please

Lighted vanity mirrors, they actually were promised.

Retrofitted to all Model S's no less.

there's also the same left stalk to activate wipers on the Model 3 as on the Model S.

It is not the same stalk at all. Model 3 stalk seems to be missing the entire rotating control that operates the wipers on Model S. There is the button, though, that seems to allow some wiper/washer operation without the touchscreen.

i thought someone noticed the extra rain sensor on the 3. Used it as evidence that the S would never work?? Don’t recall for sure.

I do agree the setup is built around automatic wipers functioning reasonably well. They did in my AP1 car test drive.

i thought someone noticed the extra rain sensor on the 3. Used it as evidence that the S would never work?? Don’t recall for sure.

I do agree the setup is built around automatic wipers functioning reasonably well. They did in my AP1 car test drive.

There is a sensor in all AP2 cars for light and humidity, so presence of a visible sensor in that area is not news in itself. Question is: Is Model 3 sensor just that same/similar or something more - so far seems unknown...

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
Is there a formal way of requesting features to Tesla?
Tap the washer button repeatedly and scream "f************************ck!!!"

J/K. Sorry to say you have to be patient like everyone else here. If you have the time you could put in a formal request to your local SC, but I doubt that would do anything good. Seems Tesla is struggling with the neural nets / software (vision, i.e. camera, based rain sensing - not exactly off the shelf tech.)

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: KyleDay and croman
Tesla (even Musk) have been pretty quiet about AP recently.

That could mean we are getting close to a major announcement (version 9.0 software?).

Or, it could mean they're stuck - and it's taking much longer to make the next incremental improvement...

Customers know automatic wipers aren't working - so there shouldn't be any harm in Tesla admitting this - and letting us know if they believe they'll ever get it working...

Tesla (even Musk) have been pretty quiet about AP recently.

That could mean we are getting close to a major announcement (version 9.0 software?).

Or, it could mean they're stuck - and it's taking much longer to make the next incremental improvement...

Customers know automatic wipers aren't working - so there shouldn't be any harm in Tesla admitting this - and letting us know if they believe they'll ever get it working...

Tesla has removed auto wipers as a feature of the cars since at least June 2017. That's not a good sign nor should new buyers even expect the feature since its no longer listed.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
I'm pretty sure it hasn't. There's a microscopic chance that the infamous (thanks to myself) HVAC-sensor - you know, that little lens-thingy we see above the triple cam - is doing rain sensing, but most likely it's for sensing light. At least that seems to be the prevailing theory in lack of evidence of the contrary.

If Tesla is still using Hella as their supplier perhaps it is all three functions in one (rain/light/humidity). http://www.hella.com/microsite-electronics/assets/media/08_rain_light_sensor_gb_druck.pdf

I’m sorry but I recall this being a listed feature under EAP. It’s talked about in threads that date back to January...

HW2: Still no rain-sensing wipers. No Auto-high beams

I emailed Tesla on Monday and they responded yesterday...

0813E3A5-5914-4887-AD09-CBBE52A98D99.jpeg

How should I respond? Seriously anyone want to take a stab at this I’ll copy and paste it in the reply.

Reactions: VT_EE