TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla - where's the E in my EAP ?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by thegruf, Sep 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

Any news?
    All seems to have gone a bit quiet recently.
    No doubt everyone at HQ working hard as ever, but at least a tweet on progress would be appreciated.

• Like x 1
  2. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Member

Not much new since Karpathy took over.

3. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

I think they've moved on to Model 3 and aren't really working on EAP or FSD any longer. Elon is also focused on Space X right now. That speech he gave in Australia was very interesting.

• Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. DrivingRockies

Very much seems that way...

5. OilSucks

OilSucks Member

Seriously, things have gone sort of cold and dead now... He only has a few months remaining to get that FSD event from LA to NYC.

6. davinci2017

davinci2017 Member

I think they are gonna just let the noise die down by not posting anything for a while. I've given up on it getting any better, I use it occasionally when the road is mostly empty, but didnt get my 5k's worth IMO. I do hope by 2018 we have a proper update catching up on all past promises, but that hope diminishes every month.

Still love the car though, but Tesla as a company? not so much... I've lost some respect and love for them in the last 6 months.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  7. HookBill

HookBill Member

Looks like it went the same direction as the 'E' in SEXY. If they rename it 3AP perhaps it might move a little faster. ;)

• Funny x 3
  8. OilSucks

OilSucks Member

I hate admitting that you are right but you are... I love my Model S, seriously could not imagine even considering another car at this moment in time. In fact I wish I had stepped it up and either got the X or the P100D for the full Model S effect.

But the way they handle things... Everything from the Sales experience to the Delivery experience was just odd.

• Like x 1
  9. dmcmillen

dmcmillen Member

My commute is 80% divided highway (aka "ideal" EAP road). EAP regularly loses track of one side of the lane or the other, despite the lines being crystal clear, causing the car to dive to the opposite side of the lane to hug the line. I don't dare take my hands off the wheel -- ever -- and it almost always results in a disengagement because my reaction is to pull the wheel back lest I sideswipe someone in the next lane. I'm not confident the system is taking the proximity sensors into account.

The behavior is so nerve-wracking that I thought about recording and posting a video as it's almost unreal in that it makes driving so much MORE stressful. However, there are some highways that are truly "smooth as silk" (just not on my commute) -- and I don't know if I can tell the difference just by looking at them.

I'm particularly saddened that I was so excited to get my Model S in May after 4-5 years of waiting and while I have regularly applied the updates, the behavior doesn't seem to be improving. I continue to engage EAP regardless because, perhaps naively, I believe that all of the data my car must be uploading will somehow help accelerate improvements. Until then, mostly just disappointed by the slow progress and lack of information from Tesla.

• Like x 1
  10. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

"We've extended the length of time before Auto Pilot reaches parity. 3 months minimum, 6 months tops."

Rather than dump more negativity on the fire, let me reminisce about how adding the lines to backup camera went from "soon" to "it's never going to happen" to "here it is in an update pushed years after you forgot you gave up on that feature." Which I guess still sounds negative, but they do get things done in Tesla Time.

11. Drekar

Drekar Member

#11 Drekar, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    I wish I had not blown $8K on EAP/FSD. The only useful thing I use is the adaptive cruise control. $5K for ACC (or TACC) is too much. Any chance of getting a refund? That will teach me to not get involved in Kickstarter campaigns. I did not even get a T-Shirt!

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  12. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

Probably not. If I had been smart I would have kept the AP 1.0 option I originally ordered, even though I ended up with an AP 2.0 car. I ordered before they announced the new hardware, so I could have kept the AP 1.0 functionality on AP 2.0 hardware for the same price as AP 1.0 was when I placed my order. Instead I paid an extra $5500 to upgrade to full EAP / FSD which so far was money flushed down the toilet.

• Like x 1
  13. kdday

kdday Member

I've been wondering lately if anyone has started demanding FSD refunds. I'm a huge fan of AP on my AP2.0 car; it's gotten loads better since 17.17.4. However, I did not pre purchase FSD and if I had I'd be grumbling.

Has anyone approached to ask for a refund? Yes they might ultimately release some FSD features in the coming months, but $3,000 is a nice amount of free money to give someone for an unknown time frame.

14. mcbarnet007

mcbarnet007 Member

you should really schedule an appointment with your SC to see if there is anything wrong with the hardware. Pick a route that you know will have problem and demonstrate the issues. I've heard improper hardware causing bad AP2 experience.

15. mmmk

mmmk Member

I would love to have the ~$8.4K back frankly. I'm curious how Tesla prices this 8K of 'future features' on trade-ins. My guess is poorly. I would prefer normal cruise control. It's neat-o but paying this much for a beta... I've sure learned my lesson.

16. whitex

whitex Active Member

Sadly Tesla Time doesn't apply to taking money. "Here is your P100D, pay us sometime eventually please, we work on Tesla Time so we understand".

• Like x 1
  17. zambono

zambono Member

It became a minus -AP

18. R.S

R.S Member

If it works on other highways he probably doesn't have any HW problems. Those should be the same on any road.

19. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Someone on here summed it up nicely: stop setting people's expectations by tweeting about stuff ages before it happens. Just deliver a solid, stable product when it's ready.

Since that post, which was just after "silky smooth", nothing tweeted or spoken about AP at all. Not even at the M3 launch.

• Like x 1
  20. R.S

R.S Member

I totally agree, but the problem is that the last info we got was totally optimisitc and maybe we need some correction tweets to get expectations right. The official message is still EAP fully done about now, with FSD diverging and FSD being prime time ready in one and a halve years.

• Like x 1