Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Whistleblower releases VINs with alleged punctured battery cells - Who's got a 3 on the list?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• Model-3-punctured-cell-Martin-Tripp.jpg
    Model-3-punctured-cell-Martin-Tripp.jpg
    692.9 KB · Views: 510
Didn't he work at the gigafactory? If so, how could he possibly know which battery packs had bad cells? In turn, how could he know which cars they wound up in? This sounds like 100% FUD.
I thought the claim was he had installed backdoors into Tesla's computer systems. There are VINs on the list that are in the 30,000s. Weren't those manufactured after the backdoors were found?

I'm not sure if you guys are aware, but Tesla's battery pack technology includes lots of safeguards for failed battery cells. Its their battery packaging technology that puts them leaps and bounds above their competition and one of big things is their safety margins.

Tesla believes that small cells is better and safer than large cells, because its easier to contain the thermal runaway from a small cell than a big cell rupturing. Plus the manufacturing quality was significantly better in cylindrical cells versus pouch cells (large format) with far fewer manufacturing defects.

I was at a Tesla presentation a long time ago and they were presenting this data along with how many cells fail in a module, but generally Tesla modules are designed with to take cell losses without losing the entire module/pack. While me, like anyone would prefer to have a vehicle not be on the list, I would bet there was enough safety margin in the pack design that even if salvage cells were utilized, the pack would function as designed even if the cells failed.

Didn't he work at the gigafactory? If so, how could he possibly know which battery packs had bad cells? In turn, how could he know which cars they wound up in? This sounds like 100% FUD.

It's actually pretty simple .

Any manufacturing/resource planning system will let you see the origin/time/place/issues of that any part was manufactured down to the bolt and person on the line. How do you think manufacturers issue recalls for specific VINs?

I'm not on the list, but if I was, I'd contact Tesla and see if they'd be interested in having my battery pack examined by an independent third party to check for the alleged defect. If Trip is full of it, Tesla gets evidence they can use to prove as much in court. If he's telling the truth, presumably Tesla would replace the defective battery modules. Win-win for the owner.