TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla?? Who makes the Tesla?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Jaff, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

#1 Jaff, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
    Matt, my point was the overwhelming majority of folks that I speak with have never heard of TM...conversely, I'm sure they've all heard of GM and probably heard about / read about the volt.

I have many high end clients who have 2-3 BMW / MB / Audi etc in their households...most of them know nothing of TM...to them, an EV is a Volt or Leaf...some of these folks need some edumicatin' about how an EV can perform...I think the bottom line is many, many folks with the ability to afford a Roadster or Model S are completely in the dark about TM...

2. mattjs33

mattjs33 Member

See, this to me is baffling. I can't imagine someone who was a gearhead enough to own a BMW, not being a gearhead enough to be aware of Tesla.

But then, I guess a lot of owners of those brands really aren't gearheads, they're just owners because that's what they think they supposed to do!

You'd probably get a lot of people asking, "So who makes the Tesla, then?"

3. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

#3 Jaff, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
    You might have just hit on it Matt...I wouldn't describe any of these folks save one or two as "gearheads."

This is more the wine & cheese crowd (mostly self-employed)...driving these vehicles for their luxury performance, as opposed to driving "raw performance" vehicles...not meaning to sound elitist, but none of these folks change their tires let alone their oil...:biggrin:

Yes, I've been asked "Who makes Tesla" dozens of times...:rolleyes::biggrin:

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Me too.

5. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

#5 Jaff, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
    Thanks to vfx who just posted this in a different thread (it's relevant here as well) ...I don't know how scientific the survey was, but it's probably a good start...66% are up for an EV...nice number.

...but only 8% knew about TM...some work to do here folks! :wink::biggrin:

Electric Car Survey
    This one says 2/3rds are up for an EV.

8 percent could name Tesla.

http://www.thegreencarwebsite.co.uk/...-replacements/

“Tesla’s vehicles are not conventional everyday cars, and there are just 1,000 of its roadsters in operation across the globe,” said Carroll. “The fact that – after the Prius – it is the most well-known electric or hybrid car is testament to the company’s ongoing aim to educate consumers about the capabilities of electric and hybrid vehicles, even though the majority of motorists are not in its target market. Mainstream car manufacturers need to be doing more of this in order to develop the trust of the mass market.”
    Yaay us!

6. kgb

kgb Member

All the time! As I've mentioned elsewhere, it seems to be that boys 10 years and up seem to recognize the Tesla. Not sure what the age ceiling is.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Same here "Who?". At least I can say they are here in California.

8. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

More "Brand Recognition"...

Today, I parked my Roadster in one of the two main malls in town (Grimsby...a town of almost 30,000)

Mark, a tech from TM's Toronto shop parked his big white service van right beside my car...(he was installing the 4.5.1 firmware release)....big black letters on the van "TESLA"...

A gal walks by and looks at my car and says...

"Nice Lotus" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Jaff, on that one I really did LOL (laugh out loud).

10. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

:biggrin:..even with a "billboard" parked beside us, we still can't get no respect! :biggrin::wink:

Mark gave me a funny parting shot..."Have fun driving your Lotus!" :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

11. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Will be interesting to hear these comments when Model S arrives. I'll keep a notepad in the vehicle.

12. kgb

kgb Member

I was out with a friend of mine who has a 2005 Lamborghini Murcielago that he picked up for $20k less than my Tesla. Doesn't matter that his car was less expensive and is slower, everyone stops to take pictures of the Lambo and walks right past the Tesla/(Lotus?).

What's up with that?!

On the other hand, I had a friend drive past my house and when he called me, he asked if I bought a Ferrari F430.

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Blazing speed and less tickets.

14. I think it has to do more with the size of the Tesla/Lotus. If it was a slightly larger vehicle I think it would get a lot more "respect". A lot of people have mistaken my Tesla for a Pontiac or Mazda.

I kinda liked the "ELECTRIC" script on the rear end of some 2008 Roadsters.

15. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

#15 PopSmith, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
    Part of that appeal is the Lamborghini's (initial) price tag. The average person knows their expensive but not necessarily how expensive; brand-new a 2003 Murciélago started at just north of $320,000. Luckily the Roadster isn't subject to "normal" supercar depreciation. :smile:

Of course the Roadster is faster, less expensive and cooler (in my opinion) than a Murciélago but doesn't quite have the "sex-appeal" of a Lamborghini.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0411_2005_lamborghini_murcielago_roadster/index.html

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Or luxury tax or gas guzzler tax.

17. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

Very true, it's probably the only supercar that qualifies (or, possibly, will ever qualify) for a discount.

18. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I immediately thought of size between the Tesla and Murcielago. The Murcielago has a pretty big footprint, like most supercars. The Tesla/Lotus is much smaller than most typical supercars.

19. mattjs33

mattjs33 Member

I think that part of it is the legacy; Lamborghini has been around since 1963 (in fact the last true start-up to succeed in a long term and have any significance). Everyone knows what a Lamborghini is, what it stands for, what it's about. True, the Tesla is quicker (to 60), but not faster; that is another aspect of the mystique. And, as we have stated here previously, most people don't know what a Tesla is. Also, consider that with the crazy doors and the way the Murice hunkers down and kind of glowers at you, it's easy to see that the Lamborghini is flashier than the Tesla, and thus would attract more attention. I'd be willing to bet an Elise in the same situation would suffer the same fate.

But a Tesla isn't about attracting attention, now, is it?

20. strider

strider Active Member

It may also matter where you live. Here in the Bay Area w/ a high concentration of nerds, people will walk past Ferraris to look at Teslas. Ferraris and Lambos are a dime a dozen out here and people know that Tesla's are different and cool. It's too easy for someone w/ money to go buy a Ferrari or Lambo. Buying a Tesla signifies you're a forward thinker and not a follower.