Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wifi Range

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
My Tesla is located in the driveway which is 50 feet from the house at the closest point. There is no Wifi service there and I don't want to add it just so the Tesla can get a few updates, but I don't want it to go without updates for years. There is no wifi in my work garage and there are a few public networks around the area, but they have sign on or terms of use acceptance restrictions that the Tesla can't handle without a web browser (... does it handle those guest login systems even if the car doesn't have a browser icon?).

Where can I get these updates? Do I really need to get an AP and snake the antenna out the window?

Actually, I'm a bit nervous about getting updates for my "car", but feel like I should get updated at least once a year.

webbah

May 22, 2012
Lucerne, Switzerland
With V10 the Tesla will notify you when an update is available (on LTE no wifi required). Then you can possibly use a wifi hotspot or your cell phone to tether as a wifi hotspot just to download the update. That’s what I do. Nothing really to worry about as it’s quite easy! Tethering works for both Android or iOS, but in my case I just bought a dedicated cellular wifi hotspot.

Reactions: jimbo_hippo

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
With V10 the Tesla will notify you when an update is available (on LTE no wifi required). Then you can possibly use a wifi hotspot or your cell phone to tether as a wifi hotspot just to download the update. That’s what I do. Nothing really to worry about as it’s quite easy! Tethering works for both Android or iOS, but in my case I just bought a dedicated cellular wifi hotspot.

What is the size of the download? Here's a quote that I found on Google - "Does anyone know how large the V9 firmware update is? My AP1 Model X has downloaded almost 50GB of data over the past week, but it still hasn't given me the update yet! ..".

I have to download those maps also. Wouldn't want to accidentally max out a months cell usage.

Last edited:

webbah

May 22, 2012
Lucerne, Switzerland
What is the size of the download? Here's a quote that I found on Google - "Does anyone know how large the V9 firmware update is? My AP1 Model X has downloaded almost 50GB of data over the past week, but it still hasn't given me the update yet! ..".

I have to download those maps also. Wouldn't want to accidentally max out a months cell usage.
Fair point, in Switzerland we basically don’t have any data caps at all so I don’t think about it. For that reason I actually don’t know the size of the download. Not only that, but I received 2019.32.11.1 today and updated to that too which is only a few days after 2019.32.11

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
I was curious about this, so I tethered my car through my phone and downloaded the latest update when it came through. It rang in at 0.73GB of usage on my hotspot.

That's about what I would expect it to be. Looks like the solution to this problem "isn't going to be pretty".

Kitfox

Aug 17, 2019
Vancouver, WA
With 50 feet to go, you can try a single Ubiquiti NanoStation in AP Mode. Point it at the right mirror. It'll have a signal imbalance, but that happens.

Darmie

Supporting Member
Jan 13, 2016
Clear Lake TX.
Not the best in Math, however this model boast 2,500 sq.ft. I would think that would give you the range you are looking for. Plus, if you have wifi in the garage, this could provide service for other appliances.

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
Not the best in Math, however this model boast 2,500 sq.ft. I would think that would give you the range you are looking for. Plus, if you have wifi in the garage, this could provide service for other appliances.

Square root of 2500 is 50'. Not sure if that is the right number, but the range isn't there. My iPhone can get MANY networks from inside the car with the windows closed. You'd think they'd just wire the antenna into the car's body panels.

mreynolds767

Jul 11, 2019
Boston
May not be relevant to your situation but thought my experience may be helpful to others:

In my garage my car was unable to pickup any wifi signal. It would search, never give any results and then default back to LTE.
By entering in the network name and password manually of my home wifi my car in the garage was able to get the signal. Not super strong but a couple of bars and seems to work on wifi in my garage now.

• Helpful
Reactions: SimonT

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
May not be relevant to your situation but thought my experience may be helpful to others:

In my garage my car was unable to pickup any wifi signal. It would search, never give any results and then default back to LTE.
By entering in the network name and password manually of my home wifi my car in the garage was able to get the signal. Not super strong but a couple of bars and seems to work on wifi in my garage now.

If I was in a garage, could just plug in the repeater to an outlet 24/7. Since it is outside, that's not possible.

Now, I could plug it in to the socket inside the garage and nail it to the wall or something. Problem is that I've maxed out all the current (80% continuous) for the car charging and don't want to run an additional device for now. Even 1A, since that would make 17A continuous instead of 16.

mreynolds767

Jul 11, 2019
Boston
Was just pointing out my experience on the off chance your signal is too weak for the car to find it but can still get the signal with no extra devices required if you manually enter the network into the car. At least that was my experience.

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
Was just pointing out my experience on the off chance your signal is too weak for the car to find it but can still get the signal with no extra devices required if you manually enter the network into the car. At least that was my experience.

I did actually enter the name(s) manually, but no success. Now that I used the extender, however, it registered the name and works with out the extender on 1 bar.

The WiFi antenna is definitely badly designed.

RobC

Apr 4, 2016
Philadelphia PA
The antenna is junk. My phone sees 8 or more wifi networks with 2 or more bars while sitting in the car in my driveway four of which work (dont have the passwords for the others). The car sees zero.

Reactions: SimonT

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC