Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wifi Sux

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 222676 View attachment 222677 View attachment 222678 View attachment 222679 View attachment 222680 I tested sitting in my car and watched the LTE / Wifi dance. Exited the car locked it up and monitored my router and access points nonstop for about an hour and it remained connected and strong the entire time. For me the wifi issue only looks like an issue if I am in the car and it somehow stays confused of how to stay connected. For me anyway.
Same experience here and I thought I was crazy. I was in the car and the wifi would keep going in/out. When connected it shows full bar signal. When I monitored the activity on my wifi controller it was connected throughout the night. Thanks for confirming what I am seeing.

Port 1194 is the official port for OpenVPN. There are an increasing number of devices that use OpenVPN, including NAS units that offer a function to get to your files from anywhere on the internet.

If you have another OpenVPN device on your network that is using UPnP to reserve port 1194, that will prevent the Tesla OpenVPN from working.

Definitely sounds like Tesla could add a layer of 'work around' to be sure the car can use wifi even when something else has the port in use. Of course, it may be down the priority list since LTE still works. What we really need is an easy troubleshooting mechanism where we can see what is going on (or going wrong) without resorting to router internals or Wireshark or the like.

Same experience here and I thought I was crazy. I was in the car and the wifi would keep going in/out. When connected it shows full bar signal. When I monitored the activity on my wifi controller it was connected throughout the night. Thanks for confirming what I am seeing.
Please be sure to report to your service rep. The more people they here from--the better.

Tesla's radio is purely 802.11b/g/n on 2.4GHz. And you cannot use certain private address ranges (I believe it's 192.168.20.xxx) that conflict with their VPN setup.

EDIT: I'd also add, almost immediately after it connects, it will establish VPN connectivity (via OpenVPN SSL VPN) to Tesla. If at any point the VPN connection stalls or drops, it will disconnect from wifi and go back to LTE for some time before re-trying wifi again. So you really wanna make sure that your network (both wifi settings and router settings) doesn't have any settings that would disconnect clients after a short idle time or limit the time a connection can be idle before it gets severed.
I had that exact problem with the router at my fathers place. In the end I reconfigured his router to use a different IP range (192.168.21.*** instead of Tesla's reserved 192.168.20.*** range).
Rough odds that the router had that address range....

Swapped out my SonicWall for the Verizon Quantum Gateway, same issues. I'm also having issues with Bluetooth dropping out as well so I suspect my wireless card is having issues. I bring the car in Friday for some other issues so hopefully they'll be able to figured this out, it's very annoying.

I bought a second router also for better reception towards the Tesla. Have chosen one which I thought was better for the car.

New one: Netgear R6400
Current one which will be an AP now: Netgear Wndr3700

Changed settings to USA instead of Europe (slightly better output).

In the car my Smartphone can easily connect to the home wifi, but the car only shows one bar and easily drops the connection. Or when it stays connected I cannot access the car via the app. The router is just behind one wall, and the car is 10 feet away (outside), but still bad reception. With the new router it shows 2 bars, but still not the wanted result. Have tested many different channels etc.

Wifi reception was also tested in the Sec where it easily connected to their wifi. Also connection to the wifi of my smartphone (when inside the car) is no problem.

Are there any other settings which could boost the reception in the Tesla?
Already tried different bands, different channels, even a range extender next to the garage door (inside) didn't help.

When I complained about bad wifi reception, Tesla service finally told me the Wifi card needs a signal of at least -50 dbm!
This means it needs a signal about 100 times stronger then a normal phone or PC.

Seems the design or choice of the Parrot wifi card Tesla uses, was a bad one?
If this is indeed the case, then there is nothing you can do, except put an AP right next to the car.
Or you could try to convince Tesla to swap the wifi card for a different type or manufacturer......

• Informative
Reactions: MickC
When your car connects to your wireless network it looks for multimedia devices like blu-ray players and streaming TV boxes using DNLA. Some devices confuse the Tesla causing the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth radios to reset. When the car connects again the cycle repeats.

Isolate your car from your multimedia devices by having it connect to a "guest" network on your router and the problem goes away. Make sure your guest network has "intranet" access disabled.

I've been struggling with this issue since 8.0 came out last year. Tesla replaced my MCU and reflashed my Parrot module, but nothing helped. Thanks to this thread I took a look at the car's network traffic with a packet sniffer and discovered the root cause of the problem.

When your car connects to your wireless network it looks for multimedia devices like blu-ray players and streaming TV boxes using DNLA. Some devices confuse the Tesla causing the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth radios to reset. When the car connects again the cycle repeats.

Isolate your car from your multimedia devices by having it connect to a "guest" network on your router and the problem goes away. Make sure your guest network has "intranet" access disabled.

I've been struggling with this issue since 8.0 came out last year. Tesla replaced my MCU and reflashed my Parrot module, but nothing helped. Thanks to this thread I took a look at the car's network traffic with a packet sniffer and discovered the root cause of the problem.
This is a very good idea... would explain why it 'always works' when using a phone hotspot. No 'helpful software' on that 'network'. It also may explain why my network and others that have a separate AP from the 'main' router often work; all the 'special helpful software' can be part of the main wired network (where I have my Tivos and other devices) and all wifi devices are on the separate Apple Airport, isolated.

This is a very good idea... would explain why it 'always works' when using a phone hotspot. No 'helpful software' on that 'network'. It also may explain why my network and others that have a separate AP from the 'main' router often work; all the 'special helpful software' can be part of the main wired network (where I have my Tivos and other devices) and all wifi devices are on the separate Apple Airport, isolated.

That is why it didn't work on my regular network! I got Plex running all the time. I am using a spare time capsule just for the Tesla

Mine is not good either. If I'm parked in the garage, I have to turn WiFi off or it will be a very slow and/or spotty connection - such as if slacker is playing, or if I want to communicate with the car via the app. When in the same location with my phone, there is no problem using to wifi.

Yes, you understand what's going on. I tested a second AP also with the same results. It is funny that the Tesla has DLNA and UPnP enabled in the first place. It is probably on by default in the Embedded Linux that they use and Tesla doesn't even know it.

I am going to share my network traces with Tesla Engineering since they were already troubleshooting my car's Wi-Fi issues. They probably don't have any Plex servers or Tivo boxes running in their lab...

Yes, you understand what's going on. I tested a second AP also with the same results. It is funny that the Tesla has DLNA and UPnP enabled in the first place. It is probably on by default in the Embedded Linux that they use and Tesla doesn't even know it.

I am going to share my network traces with Tesla Engineering since they were already troubleshooting my car's Wi-Fi issues. They probably don't have any Plex servers or Tivo boxes running in their lab...
Lol, so much for 'real world' testing... I'm surprised some techies there haven't run into this at home... perhaps when they get the 3 rolled out and a lot more employees have a chance to purchase cars... :) But I agree if they can shut down non-essential network services, it would do the trick.