Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Will Add Update to Allow Glove Compartment Release for Model 3 After an Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla plans to roll out a software update to automatically open the Model 3 glove compartment following an accident. The change comes following safety concerns pointed out by an owner involved in a serious wreck.

[Update:This story has been updated to note the glove compartment will open automatically rather than manually.]

The Model 3 owner posted their story and photos of the wreckage on Reddit this week:

“I read that Tesla’s are one of the safest cars on the road today. They are right! The car is totaled but I am fine, my right ankle is swollen from hitting the gas pedal but I can still walk fine. Had this been a regular ICE vehicle I would be dead or in a lot worse condition. Everyone from the paramedics to the tow truck driver said that people don’t usually walk away from this. I already put in another model 3 reservation.

My only complaint about this car is that during the crash my passenger’s arm hit the screen and shattered it which prevented me from opening the glove box w/ title and insurance. Needs a manual option. Also my passenger got a pretty big cut on her arm. Maybe add a screen airbag. All in all it is a phenomenal car and I owe my life to Tesla.”

Musk responded to tweet about the accident on Twitter.

It’s great to see Tesla and Musk so quickly address safety concerns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is opening the glove box not mechanical in the first place? What possible advantage does software-controlled opening of the glove box offer. Tesla needs someone in the engineering department that just says no to ridiculous over-complicated solutions to already solved problems. That guy could have spared us all the falcon wing doors.
Because in an autonomous car that is eventually destined to be capable of participation in the Tesla fleet where you can rent your car autonomously when not needed, you want to be able to lock out access to the glovebox to strangers riding in your car.

Dan

also have you tried using a touchscreen for intricate stuff while driving in a car? its a nightmare.
It should be. Driver should NEVER operate glove box while driving. Up until Level 4 autonomy is available.
AFAIK, people use their 4" smartphones and 10" tablets with no complication while in motion.

Yup. Same with the back doors or hand brake for that matter.
Let's go further. Let's whine over electric windows that can't be opened. Let's demand manual crank to each and every door so we can lower the window in case 12V is not available.
Let's not care about possibility of failed 12V system while driving. Let's just worry about random stuff.:D

• Disagree
Reactions: KDF and cizUK
It should be. Driver should NEVER operate glove box while driving. Up until Level 4 autonomy is available.
AFAIK, people use their 4" smartphones and 10" tablets with no complication while in motion.

Let's go further. Let's whine over electric windows that can't be opened. Let's demand manual crank to each and every door so we can lower the window in case 12V is not available.
Let's not care about possibility of failed 12V system while driving. Let's just worry about random stuff.:D
pure tesla fanboy right here folks....

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
pure tesla fanboy right here folks....
You lost all respect and credibility from me when you used the term "fanboy". Intentionally degrading term that does nothing but demonstrate your immature attitude towards the facts presented to you. If you have a differing opinion that is fine, then state it in a rational intelligent manner. If you can't do that without using these 10 year old, school playground methods then kindly keep them to yourself.

Dan

You can do whatever you want.

I know where I'd rather be....

Well...those first cars appeared to just be stopped. Are you saying you would get out of the car while sitting in traffic? Or would you jump out of your car when a car was about to hit you? For the looks of those conditions, you probably wouldn’t have seen the oncoming car until it was too late. You might have just gotten out the door and then be completely exposed upon impact.

And if you say you would only get out after you were in an accident, chances are the pile up would occur quite quickly which would make you farther away from the next oncoming car.

Even if you could have escaped from your car, it sounds great until someone else swerves into the median and runs over you.

Why is opening the glove box not mechanical in the first place? What possible advantage does software-controlled opening of the glove box offer. Tesla needs someone in the engineering department that just says no to ridiculous over-complicated solutions to already solved problems. That guy could have spared us all the falcon wing doors.
So that in the days of autonomous driving when you can loan your car onto the Tesla driver network so it can make Uber-like income for you while you are not in the car, the glove box can be locked via software not not mechanically. Seems far out there but I believe that is the thinking with the non-mechanical glove box door.

3691860F-5EE2-4D54-AA5B-E09129ECE77F.jpeg
I am going to put a couple of these in glove box. When box opens up, hand them over to each passenger behind. Sure I could put them next to back seat but that won’t be minimalistic.
Elon, make sure it opens. Otherwise....

Reactions: KDF

Well, I guess you're only trying to be funny?

Your window issue isn't even closely related to the blatanyly obvious safty issue at hand?

Thats like saying I'm complaining about an electric car thats not driving if the battery is empty and there are no options to peddle like Fred Flintstone?

Since the Model S does have manual release options you comment is a bit redundant, really.....

Last edited:

Well, I guess you're only trying to be funny?

Your window issue isn't even closely related to the blatanyly obvious safty issue at hand?

Thats like saying I'm complaining about an electric car thats not driving if the battery is empty and there are no options to peddle like Fred Flintstone?

Since the Model S does have manual release options you comment is a bit redundant, really.....

You had concerns about the manual doors in the back. How would you handle the situation any differently described in post 48 above?

Why are all these M3s being totaled in head-on crashes in the first place? I thought that automatic emergency braking should prevent this. Does anyone know why they are happening?

I have yet to see a case that looked like a head on collision to me.

All the ones I've seen looked like the driver lost control of the car and hit something stationary. If the car is already skidding, emergency braking can't do much...

Last edited:
View attachment 281359 I am going to put a couple of these in glove box. When box opens up, hand them over to each passenger behind. Sure I could put them next to back seat but that won’t be minimalistic.
Elon, make sure it opens. Otherwise....

I am not sure if you are serious, but a better location for those is the center console. You won’t be able to reach them in the glovebox if your seatbelt buckle is damaged because the pretensioner will have gone off and you will be pinned in the seat. However, you should be able to reach the center console in that event.

Why are all these M3s being totaled in head-on crashes in the first place? I thought that automatic emergency braking should prevent this. Does anyone know why they are happening?
AEB is only activated up to 50mph on the 3 right now. So the fellow in this accident said he was going 60moh when he got into the accident.

I’m so glad that in the event of a serious accident the automagical glovebox is top priority for Tesla. Meanwhile the rear seat passengers are trapped inside with no way to exit the vehicle, but hey at least the driver can get their registration papers.

I jest, but not really.

• Funny
Reactions: DR61