Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Will Add Update to Allow Glove Compartment Release for Model 3 After an Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla plans to roll out a software update to automatically open the Model 3 glove compartment following an accident. The change comes following safety concerns pointed out by an owner involved in a serious wreck.

[Update:This story has been updated to note the glove compartment will open automatically rather than manually.]

The Model 3 owner posted their story and photos of the wreckage on Reddit this week:

“I read that Tesla’s are one of the safest cars on the road today. They are right! The car is totaled but I am fine, my right ankle is swollen from hitting the gas pedal but I can still walk fine. Had this been a regular ICE vehicle I would be dead or in a lot worse condition. Everyone from the paramedics to the tow truck driver said that people don’t usually walk away from this. I already put in another model 3 reservation.

My only complaint about this car is that during the crash my passenger’s arm hit the screen and shattered it which prevented me from opening the glove box w/ title and insurance. Needs a manual option. Also my passenger got a pretty big cut on her arm. Maybe add a screen airbag. All in all it is a phenomenal car and I owe my life to Tesla.”

Musk responded to tweet about the accident on Twitter.

It’s great to see Tesla and Musk so quickly address safety concerns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla Will Add Manual Glove Compartment Release for Model 3
The title is wrong. It is not manual. It is automated. When the airbags deploy, the glove box will open automatically. They will release a software update to do that.

The author might be confusing two different things. When Elon said, "Will look at bonding a thin plastic sheet to the front or back of screen", he was talking about the screen protector film. This is a completely separate problem unrelated to the glove box.

Reactions: dm33
I believe Musk is saying that in the case of an impact, the software will open the glove box -- not that a manual mechanical opening device will be added to the design. This approach assumes, of course, that the accident does not damage or otherwise interfere with the software and existing opening hardware doing their jobs.

Simple computer programming.

if (crash sensors == TRUE)
and if (12V supply == TRUE)
then apply_voltage(glovebox_latch)

I think the "manually" note in the OP's post is incorrect. Reading the referenced article, the firmware will automatically pop the glovebox open.

edit: Sorry... slow typer...

Reactions: dm33 and RedModel3
Who cares about a glove box and insurance papers after a life threatening accident?

Get a crowbar and jimmy it open?

What I want to know is how kids or passengers in the back seat could have gotten out if the electric door locks in the back fail?
I've seen videos of people suggesting to fold the back seat and use the cable pull of the boot to escape by crawling through there!!!!

Now THAT is an issue that need addressing ASAP!!!!

• Love
Who cares about a glove box and insurance papers after a life threatening accident. Get a crowbar and jimmy it open?
What I want to know is how kids or passengers in the back seat could have gotten out if the electric door locks in the bach fail? I've seen videos of people suggesting to fold the back seat and use the cable pull of the boot to escape through there!!!!
Now THAT is an issue!

That is an issue that has been discussed extensively in other threads. This thread is about the glove box. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: dm33 and dragonxt
Who cares about a glove box and insurance papers after a life threatening accident?

What I want to know is how kids or passengers in the back seat could have gotten out if the electric door locks in the back fail?
I've seen videos of people suggesting to fold the back seat and use the cable pull of the boot to escape by crawling through there!!!!

I could not agree more...that needs to be addressed. I'm picking up my M3 in two weeks that is the most glaring issue I have read about by far.

• Love
Reactions: dm33 and KDF

Simple - the driver or front passenger use the mechanical outside handles to open the doors

I could not agree more...that needs to be addressed. I'm picking up my M3 in two weeks that is the most glaring issue I have read about by far.

The summary from the other discussion is that a.) 12 volt power rarely fails in an accident, b.) first responders are more than happy to force the doors open with Halligan bars and other tools, and c.) it is possible to climb through the front seat similar to what you might have to do in the back of a 2-door coupe if the front seat release didn’t function. This would also be a similar situation to people in the back of a 3-row SUV with power seats (Model X 7-seat pedistal configuration, for example).

Our Cadillac ELR is a 2-door coupe with electric power seats. The back rest can fold forward but you’d be hard-pressed to get out of the back seat without also electrically moving the seat forward. An argument has been made that it’s more likely that you’ll have people with mobility issues in the back of a Model 3 than in the back of a 2-door coupe, but in that situation, first responders will probably need to assist with their extraction anyway.

Now back to that glove box automatic release. I think Elon’s solution is reasonable. It’s also interesting that they’ll consider adding a protective layer of plastic to the touch screen to help prevent people from getting glass cuts in an accident.

Simple - the driver or front passenger use the mechanical outside handles to open the doors

Ok. Great Idea Einstein.

What if driver and front passenger are unconscious or god forbid killed in an accident on a highway in the fog where a pile up is imminent and time is of the essence?
I'd hate to be trapped in the back seat and casually wait for a passer by to be kind enough to open my door from the outside.
In my books far more dangerous than not getting to your regestration papers in seconds or getting a cut from a shattered screen.....

I would think that climbing into the front seats would be a lot easier. My son likes to climb into the front seat and exit that way just for fun. Anyway, it's pretty common in the sort of serious accident that would cause electrical failure for the doors to be jammed anyway.

Ok. Great Idea Einstein.

What if driver and front passenger are unconscious or god forbid killed in an accident on a highway in the fog where a pile up is imminent and time is of the essence?
I'd hate to be trapped in the back seat and casually wait for a passer by to be kind enough to open my door from the outside.
In my books far more dangerous than not getting to your regestration papers in seconds or getting a cut from a shattered screen.....
Well they can't have the doors pop open on impact like the glove box...:eek::D

Also the likelihood of that is very slim... at least as far as I'm concerned.

Ok. Great Idea Einstein.

In the scenario of highway pileup due to fog, the worst thing you could to is get out of the car. the reason a pileup is imminent is because of low visibility and/or slick roads. Would you rather get hit by another car while in your car? Or would you prefer to get hit by another car directly?

+1.

This "I will trapped to death in the back door" crowd is getting silly. How difficult it is to simply climb over the front door. What have folks done all these years on a two door car? or even in frggin MINIVAN. You cannot open a minicvan door if the electrical power is cut, atleast not possible for the very young and elderly.

Come on folks. Get a grip, Just because two old gas farts with oil money dripping through ears made a silly video, doesn't mean the danger is real.

Now back to this topic: Automatic opening of glove compartment is a solution looking for a problem. In a severe crash, how difficult is it to crow-bar the glove box? In fact the contents will fly all over the place hitting the passenger.