Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will end referral program Jan 31, 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is that all the people who report news about Tesla also get all the referrals. So even though I own a Tesla and have been talking nothing but for 3 years to my friends, I have zero referrals and Ben and Fred and several others have Roadsters in their future.

If you make a living reporting on something, it needs to be FULL DISCLOSURE that you are ALSO trying hard to get something for free from the company. Even going to announcements is treated as a reward instead of a press thing. Fred was going off on the newest Electrek podcast about how he deserves a free $200K car as he has sold millions of dollars worth of cars. So if he is in sales now perhaps he should state that. I think Ben has two Roadsters coming his way at this point.

I am HAPPY to see the end of the program as it was not implemented in a way that makes sense.

-Randy

Can we put our referral codes in our signatures now?

Is there any word on those of us that have 'points', but haven't chosen our reward? I was going to hold off on the mini MS until our friend's son was a little older. Because I certainly can't fit in it! ;)

I hope that our accumulated rewards don't go away with the program! :eek:

Reactions: Techniques
Is there any word on those of us that have 'points', but haven't chosen our reward? I was going to hold off on the mini MS until our friend's son was a little older. Because I certainly can't fit in it! ;)

I hope that our accumulated rewards don't go away with the program! :eek:
Guess I'll be buying that Radio Flyer Model S with cold hard cash.
Same here bro...same here...

Reactions: akidesir
The problem is that all the people who report news about Tesla also get all the referrals. So even though I own a Tesla and have been talking nothing but for 3 years to my friends, I have zero referrals and Ben and Fred and several others have Roadsters in their future.

If you make a living reporting on something, it needs to be FULL DISCLOSURE that you are ALSO trying hard to get something for free from the company. Even going to announcements is treated as a reward instead of a press thing. Fred was going off on the newest Electrek podcast about how he deserves a free $200K car as he has sold millions of dollars worth of cars. So if he is in sales now perhaps he should state that. I think Ben has two Roadsters coming his way at this point.

I am HAPPY to see the end of the program as it was not implemented in a way that makes sense.

-Randy

Can we put our referral codes in our signatures now?

I completely agree.

A lot of people weren't really being "reffered". They were buying a Tesla and used whatever referral code they knew about.

I saw a lot of "I'll use your code if you give me the prize" posts on this forum.

I don't think that is always the case. A potential buyer is watching youtube and learning what they can. People that make the content is working hard (trying hard). There are many behind the scenes questions that are answered by the hard workers. It doesn't stop there. Many often work hard with a podcast and such. When at a car show, we're always working the crowd. Not to offer a referral codes but to help educate the community about such a wonderful car. Yes, it's all in good fun but it's still work. And, the program has made Tesla where it is today without no halftime commercials.

I think the problem with the referral program is that the 'prizes' got too extravagant. Getting free winter tires and rims, or a wall charger, or a mini model S is all great. Going to the extreme of getting a roadster, model x, etc, just doesn't make sense to me. I also dont buy the argument that "well I'm responsible for selling this many teslas so I 'deserve' it".....I'll bet tesla salespeople have sold more cars, but I doubt they are being paid in multiple roadsters :rolleyes:

The referral program is broken, and needs to be tweaked. There should be some incentive to educate and convince people, but I believe the guy from teslanomics has 100 or so referrals, and now has 2 'free' roadsters. Another youtuber got a free Model X P100D. I'm not diminishing the level of effort these folks put into creating their content, but the intent of the referral program is to get friends and family on board, not complete strangers from across the globe.

That being said, its easy for me to say this because I'm not getting a free roadster...if I was, I would find some way to justify why I deserved it too o_O

How do I private message people on this forum ?
Perhaps I am just not seeing where the icon to do that is ?

Or do I need to make a certain amount of posted before I am able to message others ?
After a certain number of posts (not sure what the number is) you will be able to 'start a conversation' with someone if you click on their username:
upload_2019-1-17_13-14-4.png

The thing is Tesla treated the referral program like a video game with levels and secret levels, like it was Candy Crush. It was a recipe for abuse and disaster.
A revamp of the program would be ideal. Do away with the secret levels and the ability to have two or three free roadsters...really who needs 2 free roadsters? Yes I know, I would want 2 free roadsters! :rolleyes:

The thing is Tesla treated the referral program like a video game with levels and secret levels, like it was Candy Crush. It was a recipe for abuse and disaster.
A revamp of the program would be ideal. Do away with the secret levels and the ability to have two or three free roadsters...really who needs 2 free roadsters? Yes I know, I would want 2 free roadsters! :rolleyes:
+1 for the video game analogy. Its like people who find an exploit and ruin it for everyone else until a patch comes out to fix the bug....so Jan 31'st Tesla is releasing a bugfix to the referral program :cool:

Might be. Do you need help with something specific?

Thank Tony, it seems like I can finally do conversations now , the magic number was 9 posts .

I just got my Red M 3 a few days before Christmas, so was great, the Whoopee cushion app was worth the cost of the car ... LOL

I see that my car is similar to yours with Red, & Aero wheels .

Was wondering about the options for next winter , about getting another set of wheels with winter tries ?
It looks like we will go without any snow here in Vancouver this year.

I think the problem with the referral program is that the 'prizes' got too extravagant. Getting free winter tires and rims, or a wall charger, or a mini model S is all great. Going to the extreme of getting a roadster, model x, etc, just doesn't make sense to me. I also dont buy the argument that "well I'm responsible for selling this many teslas so I 'deserve' it".....I'll bet tesla salespeople have sold more cars, but I doubt they are being paid in multiple roadsters :rolleyes:

The referral program is broken, and needs to be tweaked. There should be some incentive to educate and convince people, but I believe the guy from teslanomics has 100 or so referrals, and now has 2 'free' roadsters. Another youtuber got a free Model X P100D. I'm not diminishing the level of effort these folks put into creating their content, but the intent of the referral program is to get friends and family on board, not complete strangers from across the globe.

That being said, its easy for me to say this because I'm not getting a free roadster...if I was, I would find some way to justify why I deserved it too o_O
Originally, they kept giving out the same "small" prizes every referral program. They asked the top referrers what they wanted and many suggested larger prizes that would take multiple referral programs to attain. I don't think they were expecting roadsters but it was awesome when they did offer that (and the other prizes as well: drive the Boring Machine, go to a SpaceX launch, drive the Tesla Semi, send a time capsule into space, etc.)

Reactions: corlaandstan