Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Will Have to Wow Truck Buyers to Woo Them

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has changed the game in the luxury car market. Audi, BMW, & Mercedes are losing market-share to Tesla. With more than 400,000 people reserving a Model 3, Tesla hopes to do the same to Toyota, Nissan, Ford, and others in the mid-sized sedan market. With large screens, over-the-air updates, self-driving, and other features, Tesla has crafted an image as an innovative company advancing automotive technology. This has given them a devoted following among the early adopter crowd.

One of the products that Tesla has announced as part of their plan is to launch an electric pickup truck. The top three selling passenger vehicles in the US are all pickup trucks, so this is an important market segment if Tesla wants to meet their goal to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport.

It is not clear if the truck buying customers will be as enamored with the Tesla brand and innovations as the luxury and midsize sedan buyers. Tesla will have to wow them to woo them.

Truck buyers – to Woo them, Tesla must Wow them.

Semi First

Many truck-buyers have ignored or dismissed electric cars. For those that are aware of Tesla, many view the company’s longevity and technology claims skeptically. There are many arguments that are used to dismiss electric vehicles such as range, recharge time, performance, styling… Tesla has been able to address each of these in their cars. For trucks, they will have to make all the persuasive arguments to a new class of buyers.

Screen-Shot-2017-10-03-at-10.15.50-AM.png

The easiest way to allay these concerns is to show a vehicle that is awesome and defies all these concerns. The Tesla Semi is expected to be shown in October of this year. If it meets expectations of range and power that Elon Musk has presented such as being able to pull a standard semi uphill in a tug-of-war, this will have a wow-factor and should eliminate any concern that Tesla cannot make a powerful truck. Pickup truck buyers are far more likely to be interested in and talk about the semi-truck features and performance than the Model S/3/X.

Fleets

Pickup trucks are often part a work fleets. So perhaps more so with trucks than with Tesla’s previous car offerings, they will have to the appeal to fleet managers. Fueling cost and maintenance are significant factors that good fleet managers consider when making purchases. The total-cost-of-ownership, rather than just the initial price tag is what matters.

If Tesla can find features to add to the trucks that help reduce job costs, their trucks will be given serious consideration.

Truck Features

Battery and Range – The truck is likely to have the biggest battery pack of any of Tesla’s passenger vehicles. Trucks often spend long days driving between job sites, often while hauling or towing loads. Long range and hauling take energy. Depending on the load, the energy needed could be twice as much as a load-free drive.

Elon Musk tweets that the Tesla Pickup will have a large battery pack (above 100 kWh). We can expect to see a 120+ kWh option in the truck’s battery pack. I hope to see 160 kWh or more on a high-end pickup truck. This would allow long range while pulling a loaded one-ton tractor trailer or a bed full of bricks.

Truck Frunk Box (say that 5 times fast) – Tesla’s cars have a front trunk or frunk. They have made luggage to fit the frunk. The truck is likely to have a frunk too. For the truck, this can be a custom toolbox, slotted for removable compartments. The frunk should also have electrical outlets to allow charging for cordless power-tool batteries. Perhaps a custom recharging dock partnership with Makita that Tesla sells in their accessories store.

Electrical outlets – Speaking of power-tools, one of the things that are often toted to job sites are generators to run the corded power tools. If Tesla’s truck has outlets near the tailgate, these can be used to power table-saws and other corded power tools. This will mean that you don’t have to buy, haul, fuel, or maintain a separate generator. This would be another money saver for contractors and fleet managers. This is also another reason that the truck battery pack should be a little larger. A built-in auto retracting cord reel would be a nice addition too.

Tesla is full of surprises. We’ll have to wait and see what they offer and how the truck buying marketplace receives it. We live in exciting times.

TMC Member Patrick0101 is a solar and electric vehicle advocate who blogs at Cars With Cords

Photo: Tesla pickup rendering by Carwow. Not an official Tesla design.

Last edited by a moderator:
My fear is that Tesla will have to resort to advertising to reach the hardcore pickup truck buyer. I have been following Tesla for years and finally bought a Model X. People are still asking me who makes it and do you need gas? The Tesla name is not as mainstream as we who follow it seem to think.

First thing to note is that Tesla isn't focused on the pick-up market. Pick-ups are a huge challenge. If it's a practical purchase it's tough to meet the varied requirements with a BEV and if it's not a practical purchase, then you're battling with entrenched ideas of irrational consumers.

Tesla is going after the semi market because it's a large market with known parameters where a high proportion of buyers will be rational. If it can meet the obvious TCO challenge, Tesla will only have to overcome aversion to risk to succeed.

I shouldn't be concerned about brand recognition. The Model 3 will be higher volume and the higher volume will bring more recognition.

Reactions: Patrick0101
Click the "stop loading" icon on/near the address line in the browser. And yes, this happened to me too, so I had to make it stop loading to read it.

This was the first thing I tried myself. Unfortunately that doesn't work either. As soon as I click the stop loading icon, it stops loading, only to immediately start refreshing the page again. It's a vicious cycle with no apparent way out. In the end I just gave up because it was too annoying.

Reactions: bhzmark
That's the reason I still have my Ford, Tesla isn't pulling a my toy hauler anytime soon. :( I'll be really interested to see how long before the aftermarket crowd responds to upfitting the semi for RV usage.

The one in the article does not look like a read off road pickup, more like an El Camino street vehicle.

Accessories should include:
120 V AC power reciptacles
Winch plug
Off road height adjustment
Rock protection for battery
Off road lighting
Off Road tire and wheel packages
Towing packages
Off Road Nav Packages
Solar charging?? foldout canopy???

Truck bed options:
Cover
Shell
camper
Convenience pockets and hold downs
Rear window pass through
Cargo rack
Lumber and/or pipe rack
Amber Turn Signals!

I also must say that I think it would have been more easy to make buses first, a bus got more space for a battery, a boss in buscompagnies usually is the government or anything like that and not the busdriver, on top of that, all the passengers will talk about it. So if you make an awesome bus, then that will be noticed by the mass much more easy. On top of that, it will give some extra time to develop similar batteries in a smaller shape, which will be good for trucks.

The Bollinger will not work for me, need more of an F-150 truck with 8 foot bed and lumber rack capable. Towing and would be nice to have 4 wheel drive.

While a Bollinger will not be suitable for everybody. It does take a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood and a few 12' boards can be carried with the tailgate(s) still up- all in the 2 door version. They also plan to have a four door version. The only drawback for me is long distance driving.

That's the reason I still have my Ford, Tesla isn't pulling a my toy hauler anytime soon. :( I'll be really interested to see how long before the aftermarket crowd responds to upfitting the semi for RV usage.

LCR1: If you saw the semi announcement extravaganza, you'll remember the current cab has seating for one - the driver. Gonna need some major structural changes to have seating for 5-6. IMO, that'd be more work than an upfitter would be capable of.

Lloyd: Your list is a good starting point. Especially convenience outlets to eliminate the genset most contractors typically haul. Add an air compressor.

Still, pretty exciting to watch Tesla / Boring / SpaceX companies readjust our perception of the future.

All I have is just the anecdote. I was talking with a couple of contractors a couple of years ago. I was saying that I would like the Tesla as my next car. They were interested in, and knew about it. They were interested in the potential of the instant torque in trucks.

At least pickup buyers aren't likely to quibble about paint nits and alacantra headliners.

Can't read that article. As soon as I try to scroll down on that page it immediately reloads / pushes me back to the top. No way to scroll down the tiniest bit. As a matter of fact that happens to me with all the blog articles here. Strange phenomenon, have never experienced such a behaviour on any other website.

Same happens to me on my phone. Can't bother with the articles because of that.

And you my good sir underestimate the luxury pickup crowd. The vast majority of sales don't matter but the vocal high end guys will make multiple trips to a dealer over a loose cup holder or rattling center console. Or better yet the dreaded "sticker-gate"

The instant torque will be the biggest selling point. All three of the big players have torque around 925 pounds. ( at the crank of course) however that means nothing in every case

All of those numbers are at 1600 RPM

All of those trucks are limited in gears 1-3

All of that power is only available at full throttle (of course)

Anyone whose ever driven a vehicle in well, ever. Knows that if you floor it above 4th gear the RPMs aren't dropping, they are going to the moon. So, you can't use all that torque off the line and you can't use all that torque while driving. So when can you actually use it? #1 reason I still have my diesel after all these years and haven't upgraded, you'll never actually see these dyno numbers in real life.

If Tesla doesn't limit when the torque is available they have a true bragging right on their hand