Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will introduce few "other variants of Model S" next year.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if I should be happy, or annoyed that they are already hinting at new variants.

A performance-plus upgrade is one thing, but an AWD variant would be a major, purchase altering difference (for me, given where I live).

Of course none of this has happened yet, but I don't want Tesla to do what Apple just pulled off with their 'new' new iPad release within a period of 7 months.

Noo have not even gotten my car how can it be outdated :(

The price to be paid for early adoption :)

More choices the merrier!

I'm just not sure that announcing new variants when most people have not even received their locked-in cars was a great idea...

It is certainly making me pause.

My 2 cents.

My assumption is that the Model S sold today will be upgradeable. Look at all the available Roadster upgrades, with many performance options coming.

(I personally love the idea of buying a vehicle that I can keep updating, instead of just buying a new one every n years. Love. That.)

Did a quick comparison of the skateboard on S and X, from pictures on teslamotors.com, now and the motor up front on the X seems to be perfectly alligned with the "frunk-tunnel" on the S.... So much so that it makes me wonder if the "frunk-tunnel" wasnt a design afterthougt but actually a deliberate design in order to make AWD possible at a later time... Sounds like very smart engineering.

Most likely wishful thinking on my part, but it really looks plausible to me.....

i hope it's the addition of 4G LTE.

and i hope it's introduced before they build my car!

~ P10,340

That can be added to all models though -- doubt that would count as a "variant".

(I personally love the idea of buying a vehicle that I can keep updating, instead of just buying a new one every n years. Love. That.)

You, missy, are not alone.

My assumption is that the Model S sold today will be upgradeable. Look at all the available Roadster upgrades, with many performance options coming. (I personally love the idea of buying a vehicle that I can keep updating, instead of just buying a new one every n years. Love. That.)

I hope you are right. The key is how upgradeable a model S 1.0 will be. I do not know much details about the Roadster variants, but my impression from reading the various Tesla forums is that the 1.0 owners were not eligible for many upgrades introduced with subsequent revisions.

Time will tell...

I hope you are right. The key is how upgradeable a model S 1.0 will be. I do not know much details about the Roadster variants, but my impression from reading the various Tesla forums is that the 1.0 owners were not eligible for many upgrades introduced with subsequent revisions.

Time will tell...

My hope is that since Tesla was able to design the entire car themselves and had a few years to learn from the Roadster that they took all of that into account already and won't leave the 1.0 behind.

My hope is that since Tesla was able to design the entire car themselves and had a few years to learn from the Roadster that they took all of that into account already and won't leave the 1.0 behind.

I suspect this is correct. The Model S is a much more mature design than the 1.0 Roadster. Heck it's more mature than any version of the Roadster.

As I recall the AWD in the Model X sacrificed the tunnel at the back of the frunk, but the main part of the frunk was still there.

Yes the Frunk was smaller in the X IIRC.

tesla-model-x-undercarraige.jpg
X skateboard

When Elon talks about "variants of the Model S" he doesn't mean a Convertible, a pick-up etc. That would be new models, just like the Model X is not a "variant" of Model S but another model albeit built on the same platform. Also, he can't mean simple options such as 4G, center console for the back seat, factory mounted hitch etc. Currently, I'd argue that there are 4 "variants" of the Model S: 40kW, 60kW, 85kW, P85kW. The analogy would be from teslamotors.com's Model X page where you find the following "variants": battery 60kW or 85kW, drivetrain RWD, AWD or AWD performance. Just guessing here but probably the AWD performance would only be available with the 85kW battery.

So this leads me to conclude that when he says "variants" he must mean either AWD or another battery option (or both?). He could, IMO, be talking about some kind of hard top/convertible option, but in a way I'd think that unlikely, especially given the fact that with the pano roof you've already got something of a "convertible light" option. I agree with previous posters who have pointed out that there is the "extended part" of the frunk where the front motor probably fits. And from the Model X images you can see that the front motor is smaller so it would probably fit there.

A new (bigger) battery I'd be more surprised about, since it's not just sticking a new version of the 18650 cells in a pack, it would require a lot of redesign and new considerations as you now would have other voltages, other amperages, you'd have to maybe use other wiring, a new inverter, maybe a higher spec. motor if you want to take full advantage of the performance, etc. etc. That would be unlikely to be something they could introduce "next year". AWD on the other hand is something they have already developed, tested, etc. for the Model X.

Performance 60kwh with hitch is my best bet.

_____
Tapatalkin' from iTalatut.
That is possible. Of course, you won't get any more performance out of a 60 kWh or 40 kWh battery pack by improving the motor and electronics, as the battery is the limiting factor. But it is possible Tesla might come with a supercapacitor-pack which can be fitted to the 40 and 60 kWh versions for short-duration bursts of energy. It might also be a part of an upgraded 85 kWh performance version.

I doubt it though. Such a solution would probably be more expensive than simply upgrading the battery.

I wouldn't hold my breath on an AWD variant of the S. I've seen the way the car is assembled and there is precious little space up front for a new drivetrain (unless the frunk is sacrificed: hmmm...), and no provision that I know of to accommodate a driveshaft from the rear to the front. They'd have to redesign too much. My guess on variants would include significant firmware updates and possibly changes to the existing rear drivetrain, and to sprung weight components. Higher capacity batteries, maybe. I would hope there's a decent upgrade path for early adopters (like me!) for any or all of this, but the Roadster's model history doesn't make this seem super likely. Of course, the Model S is a different kettle of fish...

I don't think that the frunk would be sacrificed with AWD. If you look at the frunk of Model X AWD it's almost the same as Model S 2WD.

Aerodynamics do not favor convertibles. Unless Convertible sales of cars sell really well (I have no idea) then I would believe Tesla would wait until we have 500 mile range battery packs.