Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will introduce few "other variants of Model S" next year.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my very humble opinion, I don't expect AWD. As has been said before, given that they would add another motor up front it would necessitate changing the crumple zones and, therefore, redoing crash testing. Given that the mention of "variants" came up as part of the conversation about how folks are optioning their vehicles, I'm assuming it's more in line with things like the Performance Plus package that Elon seems to have (wider rear tires, stiffer suspension, etc.) and other high-end options like ACC. I really think that Tesla will/should focus on high-margin, high-price options. This will allow them to make more money in service of the end goal, which, in my mind, is the Gen III vehicle.

Besides, we've got about a year (14 months) until the first Model X deliveries are supposed to take place so there's already something new in the works with AWD. Tesla has made it pretty clear that the dual-motor AWD is a Model X first and I would be pretty surprised if they steal Model X's thunder by giving that system to S before X comes out. I do think that we'll see AWD as an option on Model S 2.0.

^^^^ Is all speculation on my part and I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts.

Given that the mention of "variants" came up as part of the conversation about how folks are optioning their vehicles
Nope! It came as an answer to the question, at what level you guys are planning to spend CAPEX and R&D money next year?
And answer was more concentrated on R&D, with Musk saying:

1) we already got work done on left hand drive for EU
2) we are spending on right hand drive S (for UK, Asia)
3) there are few other variants of Model S which we will introduce next year and that would be pretty exciting
4) Model X spending would be there
5) will be spending on early stages of Gen III development.

So those variants fall in between right hand drive and Model X.

But that part of conversation was not part of options discussion.

Last edited:
I think about a Model SS (supersport)

Carbon roof
Carbon hood
Carbon trunklid
Carbon spoiler
Sport-seats (carbon?)
Sport-suspension
Sport-wheels & tires

Just keeping performance engine & battery
Or just offer this as a sports-variant to all batterys
Bit like AMG-line M-line & S-line (MB, BMW & Audi)

In my very humble opinion, I don't expect AWD. As has been said before, given that they would add another motor up front it would necessitate changing the crumple zones and, therefore, redoing crash testing. Given that the mention of "variants" came up as part of the conversation about how folks are optioning their vehicles, I'm assuming it's more in line with things like the Performance Plus package that Elon seems to have (wider rear tires, stiffer suspension, etc.) and other high-end options like ACC. I really think that Tesla will/should focus on high-margin, high-price options. This will allow them to make more money in service of the end goal, which, in my mind, is the Gen III vehicle.

Besides, we've got about a year (14 months) until the first Model X deliveries are supposed to take place so there's already something new in the works with AWD. Tesla has made it pretty clear that the dual-motor AWD is a Model X first and I would be pretty surprised if they steal Model X's thunder by giving that system to S before X comes out. I do think that we'll see AWD as an option on Model S 2.0.

^^^^ Is all speculation on my part and I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts.

Instead I think it could be just an AWD. In this case Tesla should simply use the experience that is doing on Model X for Model S. No need for futher Research and Development and Model SX and Model X could be produced together.

Instead I think it could be just an AWD. In this case Tesla should simply use the experience that is doing on Model X for Model S. No need for futher Research and Development and Model SX and Model X could be produced together.

Yes. Model X is based on S platform. That mean they are developing AWD version of an S drivetrain. And AWD S probably could be brought to life much faster then X, because it will have essentially same glider as normal S... Almost all stamping and welding and most assembly line procedures would be same for AWD version of S. And they need AWD drivetrain for X anyway. But for X glider lots of additional tooling should be ordered.

Imminent question: Will Tesla accept trade-in of almost new Model S's ?... ;)

It looks like a YES, according to the transcript of the latest 3rd quarter investor call; though the implementation of the program may not fit your time horizon.

Elaine Kwei - Jefferies
And just one follow-up. Will there still be any deliveries of new Roadsters in 4Q or is that done now? And had you planned to also sell the pre-owned Roadster or was that one of your recent development? And do you see yourself also dominating that re-sell market for any future Model S or Model X or other vehicle?

Elon Musk - Chairman, Product Architect and CEO
Yes. There will be a few more Roadsters. These are just ones in terms of Europe and Asia. So there's not very many left, so it's not going to be a huge number. But in terms of, used Roadsters, yes, we do expect to do a decent business in used Roadsters, and doing the same with Model S and Model X. And I think that's going to be interesting revenue source for us in the future. George, is there anything you'd like add to that?

George Blankenship - Vice President, Sales & Ownership Experience
All of the Roadsters that are remaining that are new are in Europe and Asia, and right-hand-driving is basically done except for a couple of demos. We're putting together international program that actually brings back Roadsters. And this will translate to Model S, in the future Model X.
So that we actually manage that process and so we control the value of that secondary part of the market. We think that's very important. So we actually have a staff that's dedicated to specifically managing used Roadsters now in North America, based out of California. So we think it's an important part of business opportunity for us going forward.

I really hope for Model S AWD, Model S AWD Performance and a 100 kWh battery option using 4A cells. This will give the car approx. 310 miles driving mileage if tested with the EPA5 cycle. By testing the Model S / 85 kWh using the EPA5 cycle the car could be driven "only" 265 miles and not 300 miles as originally "promised". By use of a 100 kWh battery package Tesla can even strengthen their promises.

Last edited:
A fleet version (more legroom and headroom in back, basic option set like cheaper wheels/tires, etc.) would make a lot of economic sense once they can further scale production and as a hedge if their reservations don't keep growing at the same rate. Lower ASP but a standard vehicle that would reduce mfg costs. Others have done the math on gas costs - they could own the black car/taxi market given TCO (total cost of ownership) concerns.

An urban police cruiser.

If i remember correcly the pics/video of the Model X "skateboard" there isnt that much of a size difference from the S... Doesnt have to be the same size engine up front as in the rear either.. But time will show.

I would gladly sacrifice some or all frunk space for AWD!

Ditto. I never had a frunk before, so I wouldn't miss it anyway.
But being able to have an S with AWD would be awesome for me - I could even overlook all the missing interior amenities (except for the power folding mirrors) if the car had AWD.

spot on! an AWD S would be awesome here in the NW. I do hope someone up there reads this!! with an AWD S w/tow hitch we could ditch the highlander and keep the Leaf. Now we are in a puzzle about which car to get rid of. on the other hand, if they simply would offer the X without falcon wings, we would seriously consider being an all Tesla household and stick with our current non-AWD S reservation.

I think total sales would be higher if they came with a Model S AWD version with tow hitch. This is because some of the potential buyers who want AWD and tow hitch also want to be able to fit a roof rack/box. So, they rule out the Model S because of the lack of AWD and tow hitch, and then they rule out the Model X because of the falcon wing doors. And then they either remain on the fence, or they buy an ICE.