Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will not add more panels to my system [on carport roof]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gixx1300R

Dec 30, 2017
orlando
I wanted to add another 12 panels to my existing 12kw Tesla solar panel system. Tesla denied my request as quoted

Hi Theodore,​
Thank you for your interest in Tesla solar. As part of the ordering process, our team reviewed several aspects of your home, including roof type, shading, available roof space, rafter spacing and equipment compatibility.​
Unfortunately, we are unable to qualify your home for solar due to roof dimensions, obstructions, local requirements or a combination of these factors​
You will receive a refund within 7-10 business days to the card used to place the order. If you have any questions, please reply to this email or call (877) 571-7652.​
Best Regards,
The Tesla Team​

Attachments

• DJI_0017 (2).JPG
    DJI_0017 (2).JPG
    648.9 KB · Views: 520
I had the same problem. I have a 3.2 system (10 panels) with 3 Powerwall, and I wanted to go ahead and add 10 more panels. I got the same reply from them. I waited 4 months and submitted another order just to get another Tesla Energy representative which I did, and he also came back saying that engineerings said it was not possible.

I guess they don't want more business. I'm considering of going elsewhere and having a secondary system put in and tied into the same three power walls I have now.

I wanted to add another 12 panels to my existing 12kw Tesla solar panel system. Tesla denied my request as quoted

Hi Theodore,​
Thank you for your interest in Tesla solar. As part of the ordering process, our team reviewed several aspects of your home, including roof type, shading, available roof space, rafter spacing and equipment compatibility.​
Unfortunately, we are unable to qualify your home for solar due to roof dimensions, obstructions, local requirements or a combination of these factors​
You will receive a refund within 7-10 business days to the card used to place the order. If you have any questions, please reply to this email or call (877) 571-7652.​
Best Regards,
The Tesla Team​
Where were you planning on putting the panels? I don't think they would not do it on a patio cover, if that is what the structure in the back is. I believe they have a 3 wall rule and some other support requirements. I am not sure your car port meets that requirement.

People have documented other refusal for structure issues in these threads. My take is they want a very conventional structure or the action is to first reject.

Where were you planning on putting the panels? I don't think they would not do it on a patio cover, if that is what the structure in the back is. I believe they have a 3 wall rule and some other support requirements. I am not sure your car port meets that requirement.

People have documented other refusal for structure issues in these threads. My take is they want a very conventional structure or the action is to first reject.
The car port has the same structure as the rest of the roof.

Attachments

• DJI_0025.JPG
    DJI_0025.JPG
    547.8 KB · Views: 183
Does it have 3 walls? The lack of 3 walls has disqualified others.

By the picture, it doesnt look like it... and I dont believe tesla will install on car ports (although I believe there are more than a few third party installers who will).

It appears to me they gave the OP the boilerplate "no" answer instead of just telling them "we are not going to install on a car port", likely because they did not want to get into a back and forth on why they wont.

it has 2 walls, that may be the reason but I couldnt find anything in the building codes here for Florida
I don't think it is a building code thing. I think it is a Tesla requirement. If you search this forum I believe you will find other people that had similar issues with less than 3 walls. As JJ said they may have had to go with another provider.

it has 2 walls, that may be the reason but I couldnt find anything in the building codes here for Florida

I dont know if its a building codes thing (it may not be, in fact) but a "Tesla doesnt do it" thing. Tesla doesnt do ground mount systems either, for example, and plenty of solar installers will do that as well. They have chosen not to.

Edit: @jboy210 and I were posting at the same time. I mention this because it sounds like I am simply repeating his post, or piling on, and neither is the intention.

I dont know if its a building codes thing (it may not be, in fact) but a "Tesla doesnt do it" thing. Tesla doesnt do ground mount systems either, for example, and plenty of solar installers will do that as well. They have chosen not to.

Edit: @jboy210 and I were posting at the same time. I mention this because it sounds like I am simply repeating his post, or piling on, and neither is the intention.
Great minds think alike? Or are we spending too much time on the forums?

From what I see there may not be (2) 36" wide pathways from eave to ridge on separate surfaces, as one of those pathways needs to be on the driveway or street side of the structure.

It might be possible to shift the whole array to make this work, but only Tesla should do that.

Certainly, it is possible to install on any structure, as long as it meets code.

These types of structures often don't meet today's structural muster, so it's easier just to say no. Specifically per the CBC (not sure about Florida) the added weight cannot be more then 10% of the structure it is on top of. When you have a structure without walls it has very little self-weight, and just a few panels can exceed this 10% structural check. Therefore the seismic resistance of that portion of the structure must be rechecked and it often will not pass without significant mass or bracing.

Also, many 3rd party installers will do this for you, call one of them.

I searched both state and local building codes and could not find anything preventing installation of solar panels over a car port. This is strictly a decision from Tesla. I did find this pic with panels over 2 walls

Attachments

• download (2).png
    download (2).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 176
I searched both state and local building codes and could not find anything preventing installation of solar panels over a car port. This is strictly a decision from Tesla. I did find this pic with panels over 2 walls

The reply from @Vines in post #12 (who works in the industry and is actually a system designer, just not for tesla), is likely explaining why tesla wont do it, because they are not interested in it and dont charge enough to deal with that.

Since tesla does not do this (install on carports) you will need to contact a third party installer and see what they can quote for you.

Just responded to a similar thread...
FYI...We had our solar roof installed covering our "portechocere" (covered open driveway) which was contiguous with roof covering the garage and house.
That area is open only with columns (no walls).
No issues / problems before or after install.
?? Tesla point of difference for this work maybe for solar tiles vs panels??

Just responded to a similar thread...
FYI...We had our solar roof installed covering our "portechocere" (covered open driveway) which was contiguous with roof covering the garage and house.
That area is open only with columns (no walls).
No issues / problems before or after install.
?? Tesla point of difference for this work maybe for solar tiles vs panels??
I had a structural engineer take a look at my roof , decking and rafters. Adding 13 panels would not be an issue.