Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will not upgrade its own systems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. Given this bait and switch by Tesla, I would highly recommend against Tesla as the solar provider. I love the Powerwalls. But had I known this would happen, I would have gone with Powerwalls from Tesla, but gone with third-party solar.
Do you have their representation that they will upgrade in the future in writing? Or was it just a verbal "commitment" from a sales rep? If you've got it in writing, then look in the contract for the language that says it supersedes all previous representations. Even if that is there, you may have a case with somebody. Go to the top, tweet Elon. Make some noise where it counts, in small claims court ($10,000, no attorneys, etc.), with Tesla BOD members, with Tesla execs, etc. Venting in the forums is just venting, if you want results, you have to go after them.

I mean, here is a screenshot from my PG&E bill. I’m on the EV-A plan. My off-peak is sub-3 cents.
This does not include the delivery charge however, which was $10 on this bill.

48283520-1cad-458c-ba87-c1c441ef41c7-jpeg.445805
I wonder if you could then just get some extra Powerwall for you house and charge then at night?
This might be more cost effective than getting new solar panels and inverters.

Why not just go for a separate microinverter setup for the added capacity? It likely won’t generate when you are running on your powerwall, but if all you want is the net metering benefit it should do the job. Anything else will get messy quickly, but you might be able to DIY on the microinverters, if you are so inclined.

Unfortunately most companies are not touching another installers system to expand on. Its simply too much liability and headache for a small profit to take ownership of a complicated Solar plus PW job that you didn't initially do, and do not know the health of. You may have better luck as an owner/builder and do the expansion yourself with some smart help.

Especially given that many older systems will not pass NEC 2017 muster, this is a reasonable business decision. PV companies are looking to make money, and limit risk. If you expand it, you are changing it, and so AHJ are within rights to make you update it to the current version of rapid shutdown (starting Jan 1 in California), at significant cost for some systems.

However its not excusing Tesla from honoring their commitments. I'd recommend starting up with the "Squeaky wheel" treatment, and make it more of a headache for them to ignore you than to serve you. Certainly systems that we install we will upgrade or expand, as long as it is a significant expansion.

If you want to do it yourself, just throwing a few more KW onto an existing inverter is possible but adding 2-3k onto a loaded up 7k will create a bunch of extra heat. This will effect the life of the inverter as well as the warranty. There is also maximums to consider with string lengths, max DC power and such. I'd recommend if you understand the design well enough to answer these questions, you hire an independent PV designer to build new plans and bring a revised design to a small contractor and see if they are hungry to do this work under your owner/builder permit (if you are comfortable with that).

Most PV installers are slammed with the Powerwall surge from PGE outages, and the end of year push to get the 30% tax credit. Many are booked out 4 months or more.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin