Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will now move its HQ and future programs to Texas/Nevada immediately

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 person
At what point can we say the fear was overblown? If no one dies at the gigafactory from coronavirus can we say there was too much fear and not enough emphasis on fundamentals like making a living?

Not my call to make, I'm not a public health expert, I have no degrees in immunology or work in the healthcare industry. You're asking as subjective question based on ones own personal bias. To some one death is enough to say the concern was justified, to others, it takes more. I refuse to call it fear though, fear indicates an irrational response so far as I see it which is also of course a subjective way to look at it. It would seem that a growing contingent of people are so completely tired of being under SIP that they've decided the juice is worth the squeeze no matter what public health experts tell them. Okay, fine, I get it. I just hope those same people aren't complaining if/when they or a loved one is directly affected by this virus as in reality they would have brought it on themselves.

The core problem here is simple, the US marketplace lacks even the most basic safety net for a broad swath of employment types that exist in this country. If we had a more robust social safety net then SIP could be allowed to fully do its job as everyone would still be getting paid their full earnings while maintaining full healthcare coverage. Alas, that's not how we do things here in America and for me personally I am not prepared to pay the taxes required to put such a system in place. Believe it or not, I feel very strongly about self reliance and personal responsibility. Again, that's just me and people can agree with me or not as I'm not speaking for any group or anyone else...

The more people refuse to SIP, the longer this goes. It's that simple. However, being selfish is a big problem in this country and so long as that continues, we're going to be talking about this in 2021...

Jeff

Reactions: DanCar
It's not that simple. I'm in the healthcare industry highly focused on the operational and financial impact. The longer we drag this out to avoid deaths up front, the more we add deaths on the backend through butterfly effects that touch a lot of different things. Most immediate is the impact on the financial and operational stability of our healthcare system. We're looking at impacts on the system for years that will cost many, many lives.

Believe that every company and school should scan employees/students prior to entering the building.

No employee or student should ever be allowed inside when running a fever. Covid or regular flu.

This alone would restrict much of the spread of viruses and bacterial infections.

Simple, cheap and easy.

This is what sick days are for. Not something to be saved up to extend a vacation with pay.

Reactions: DanCar
No ... student should ever be allowed inside when running a fever. Covid or regular flu. ...
Agree and would make it more strict such as coughing, runny nose, and sneezing. I would also be in favor of quickly moving to virtual classrooms, when students are sick. Also should be done for workplace. Would be good to schedule a virtual classroom or work from home week during peak of these issues in February.
I'd relax the rules for the warmer months where respiratory issues tend to be less severe.

Last edited:
Moderator note: This post and the next few follow-ups were merged from a different, related thread.

Saw this today: Tesla Is Now Officially Headquartered In Austin, Texas

I have seen that a lot of people that are still waiting for their cars are hoping for shipments from Texas rather than California. I wonder if this has any impact on the perception that a lot of CA EDDs are being pushed further and further back lately. 🤔

If production in Fremont has slowed due to this pending shift in HQ, that might explain it.

It might also make those hoping for the BBB plan to pass before their EDD finally stops moving happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
  • Informative
I welcome the change and the eventual closure of NUMMI in favor of Giga Texas.

It will be a very long time before the Fremont plant will be at risk of closure.

That's because there is just too much demand and so few supply so we'll have to wait until there's a surplus of supplies from other factories before the Fremont plant will be closed.

In North America, the strongest demand is still from California so it just doesn't make sense to close the California plant down just yet.

It will be a very long time before the Fremont plant will be at risk of closure.

That's because there is just too much demand and so few supply so we'll have to wait until there's a surplus of supplies from other factories before the Fremont plant will be closed.

In North America, the strongest demand is still from California so it just doesn't make sense to close the California plant down just yet.
While that’s a fair point, there’s a reason HQ is moving and it isn’t because of the fruit and cookie baskets the chamber of commerce sends over.

While that’s a fair point, there’s a reason HQ is moving and it isn’t because of the fruit and cookie baskets the chamber of commerce sends over.

Lots of companies locate their Headquarters where it's more beneficial for them. It could be a location in the Cayman Islands or anywhere else. It's a bureaucratic location and it only requires a mailbox to have a headquarters located there.

In this case, Elon Musk (the most majority individual owner in the company) would benefit the most because there's no Texas personal income tax and his new compensations will not come from California but from Texas headquarters.

Last edited:
In my opinion Fremont factory will survive and in future it may focus more exclusively on R&D and next generation innovation. The tech base and innovation ecosystem is still very much in the Bay Area without which it will not be possible for Tesla to maintain its lead over its rivals. Moving the HQ was more a taxation move more than anything else.

• Funny