Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will remove Metallic Silver/Obsidian Black Metallic from Configuration (available off-menu)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

Moderator note (bmah): Edited thread title at OP request to reflect updated information...see this post downthread for clarification/correction:
Tesla will remove Metallic Silver/Obsidian Black Metallic from Configuration (available off-menu)

Tesla to eliminate some paint options to increase production efficiency, gives last chance to order

From a Tesla email to Model 3 reservation holders and others, quote: “In order to increase our production, delivery and service efficiency, we will be removing Metallic Silver and Obsidian Black Metallic as paint options from our online vehicle configurators for Model S, Model X and Model 3. This will be effective on Thursday, September 13, 2018, after which Metallic Silver and Obsidian Black Metallic will be offered only as limited edition colors via special request at a cost of $2,000 only until Friday, September 21, 2018.”

Last year Tesla stopped offering Metallic Silver for serveral months, but then it came back.

Kelly Blue Book says silver is the most popular color in the US for luxury cars. I’m surprised Tesla is dropping it.

——————————————————————————————————————————
Best Car Color To Buy, The Monetary Value of Car Color | Kelley Blue Book

Popular Colors for Luxury
Silver is the main color of choice for Luxury vehicles, which make up 8.6% of the car market. Silver rose nearly 14% in one year's time in this category resulting in a whopping one-third of all Luxury vehicles sporting silver tones. Two variations of white made up another 30% of this category, leaving the remaining colors to round out the mix. An interesting observation is that black, which was once the premier color for luxury vehicles, has hit its lowest mark in years at 8.5%.

1. Silver - 32.1%
  2. White Metallic - 17.7%
  3. White - 11.8%
  4. Med/Dk. Blue 8.6%
  5. Black - 8.5%
  6. Med./Dk. Gray 7.2%
  7. Med. Red - 6%
  8. Gold - 3%
  9. Med/Dk Green - 1.8%
  10. Light Brown - 1.7%

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla has done this before - temporarily discontinued colors (or other options) and then reintroduced them later. Silver is still popular enough, seems unlikely they discontinue it permanently (they temporarily discontinued silver before).

I’m definitely sad to see these two colors go because they were high on my list of choices until I finally placed the order for the pearl white. If it wasn’t for the fact that over the years, we have owned several metallic black and silver vehicles, and my son reminding me that I “always wanted a white car,” I could’ve very easily ended up with either an obsidian black or silver MX. I hope more people order these two colors before they disappear because I love seeing variety on the roads, out and about town.

Tesla to eliminate some paint options to increase production efficiency, gives last chance to order

From a Tesla email to Model 3 reservation holders and others, quote: “In order to increase our production, delivery and service efficiency, we will be removing Metallic Silver and Obsidian Black Metallic as paint options from our online vehicle configurators for Model S, Model X and Model 3. This will be effective on Thursday, September 13, 2018, after which Metallic Silver and Obsidian Black Metallic will be offered only as limited edition colors via special request at a cost of $2,000 only until Friday, September 21, 2018.”

Last year Tesla stopped offering Metallic Silver for serveral months, but then it came back.

Kelly Blue Book says silver is the most popular color in the US for luxury cars. I’m surprised Tesla is dropping it.

——————————————————————————————————————————
Best Car Color To Buy, The Monetary Value of Car Color | Kelley Blue Book

Popular Colors for Luxury
Silver is the main color of choice for Luxury vehicles, which make up 8.6% of the car market. Silver rose nearly 14% in one year's time in this category resulting in a whopping one-third of all Luxury vehicles sporting silver tones. Two variations of white made up another 30% of this category, leaving the remaining colors to round out the mix. An interesting observation is that black, which was once the premier color for luxury vehicles, has hit its lowest mark in years at 8.5%.

1. Silver - 32.1%
  2. White Metallic - 17.7%
  3. White - 11.8%
  4. Med/Dk. Blue 8.6%
  5. Black - 8.5%
  6. Med./Dk. Gray 7.2%
  7. Med. Red - 6%
  8. Gold - 3%
  9. Med/Dk Green - 1.8%
  10. Light Brown - 1.7%
I rarely see silver Teslas of any model.

CORRECTION: I received an email from Tesla last night, quote:

“In order to streamline manufacturing, we will be reducing our car paint ordering options from seven to five colors on Thursday.

Starting Friday, Metallic Silver and Obsidian Black Metallic will only be offered as off-menu, limited edition colors at $2,000. They currently cost $1,500.

Model 3 orders placed before Friday in Metallic Silver or Obsidian Black Metallic will be produced on an expedited basis, so may be available as soon as two to four weeks.”
———————————————————————-

So it appears to me that Metallic Silver and Obsidian Black Metallic will continue to be available but at a cost of $2,000 and they will not be listed in the online configurator so will likely be ordered less frequently in the future. Whether or not those colors will continue to be shown in Tesla showrooms I can’t say, but my guess is they will not since Tesla is apparently trying to discourage people from ordering them.

Any ideas why you think this? Cost of production? I thought the silver and black were top selling colors, so I'm wondering why they are trying to phase this out.
Demand lever. Plus they can charge 2000 for it for a brief period of time, taking advantage of people who really want those colors. Don’t be surprised they come back next quarter stating “due to unprecedented demand”.

I guess the Metallic Silver Model 3 that I ordered a few weeks ago with AWD will race in front of all those line waiters. My first one in Blue was a pre-announcement reservation in-store and I received it a week ago. Glad I waited in line and paid a deposit a few years ago to get my Blue one a month earlier than the Silver one. Tesla timewarp.

For anyone wanting a quick Model 3 delivery, switch your color to get it in 2-4 weeks.

This is not a new strategy for Tesla, take the most popular color and make it the most expensive option. They did it with white - discontinued the free "solid white" and offered only the premium "pearl white" as the most expensive option at $2,000. I guess they couldn't come up with a premium silver color, so instead of offering a "pearl silver" at $2,000 they are offering "off-menu, special edition silver" for $2,000. Almost an identical play, just "off menu" instead of "pearl". It must have worked for them on the white - I know I gave them $4,000 more myself. The last 2 cars I would have chosen solid while (like the first 2) but only pearl white was available at $2,000 each, so they made $4,000 on me.

This is not a new strategy for Tesla, take the most popular color and make it the most expensive option. They did it with white - discontinued the free "solid white" and offered only the premium "pearl white" as the most expensive option at $2,000. I guess they couldn't come up with a premium silver color, so instead of offering a "pearl silver" at $2,000 they are offering "off-menu, special edition silver" for $2,000. Almost an identical play, just "off menu" instead of "pearl". It must have worked for them on the white - I know I gave them $4,000 more myself. The last 2 cars I would have chosen solid while (like the first 2) but only pearl white was available at $2,000 each, so they made $4,000 on me.

There is a smart data scientist at Tesla who probably figured this way to make Tesla a few millions. Luckily, the puppetmaster has a KoolAid-drunk customer base to work with.

I took delivery of the Silver Metallic this month and was surprised to hear the news. Everyone loves my color - especially with the upgraded White interior on the Dual Motor edition. I just wondered if it was due to popularity or complexity. I've seen other posts of people saying "enough silver already"...

Attachments

• IMG_1877.JPG
    IMG_1877.JPG
    612.4 KB · Views: 202
  • Love
Reactions: 3s-a-charm