Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will remove Metallic Silver/Obsidian Black Metallic from Configuration (available off-menu)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2018-9-13_18-40-54.png

(COLORS that is)

Last edited:
Quite frankly, this move to eliminate two colors does not surprise me, nor phase me as an owner of an X or investor in Tesla. My only quibble would have been to keep the obsidian and eliminate the basic black.

Back in the old days, thought I would never use the term “old army” either, but here I am. Back when I was introduced to cars, you know, when manual shifting was the norm, and it was an extra just to obtain a radio; the buyer could paint their car almost any color imaginable ~ yes, really.

Since those days our choices across the board have been narrowed. Again back in the day you could choose to enlist, be drafted, or avoid the draft. Today, you do not even have to give it a second thought.

I remember pondering the sound option on Xena. First, she came with a basic sound system. I can hear like a cat, and my wife, not the same clarity ~ she claims it is me and not her hearing; thankfully I am still hear ~ oops, here:) Like our first volvo, we went with the standard, basic or whatever you choose to call it. Actually we opted to not order a radio on the first volvo because basic radios in those days were not the quality of sound output we experience today ~ “be happy.” We bought the car, and then went to the PX “Sight & Sound,” and bought a Blaupunkt radio. Ah, for the good ol’ days. Not really, cause I had to install it myself as I was that cheap:)

Paint on cars has been narrowed down to the patriot colors of red, white and blue, plus black and my old time favorite “gun metal gray.” That is what it was referred to when it was made popular back in the late seventies ~ at least in my memory banks.

I would have paid the extra $1K for a deep candy forest green. What’s not to love about all things green ~ unless you like living in the desert:-( Xena replaced our two Toyota’s ~ pickup metallic gray (gun metal gray) and the Prius was deep blue. Our Tesla pickup will probably be Gray Metallica:)

Quite frankly, this move to eliminate two colors does not surprise me, nor phase me as an owner of an X or investor in Tesla. My only quibble would have been to keep the obsidian and eliminate the basic black.

I would have paid the extra $1K for a deep candy forest green. What’s not to love about all things green ~ unless you like living in the desert:-( Xena replaced our two Toyota’s ~ pickup metallic gray (gun metal gray) and the Prius was deep blue. Our Tesla pickup will probably be Gray Metallica:)

Deep candy forest green would have been sweet - I was disappointed in the original MS Green. I'd also prefer the Sig Red come back - that color is just too delicious. I wonder how hard it would be to get a 3rd party paint shop respray a car in that sig red color.

I’m definitely sad to see these two colors go because they were high on my list of choices until I finally placed the order for the pearl white. If it wasn’t for the fact that over the years, we have owned several metallic black and silver vehicles, and my son reminding me that I “always wanted a white car,” I could’ve very easily ended up with either an obsidian black or silver MX. I hope more people order these two colors before they disappear because I love seeing variety on the roads, out and about town.

I just got my Silver MX order in.

Reactions: Butka
Deep candy forest green would have been sweet - I was disappointed in the original MS Green. I'd also prefer the Sig Red come back - that color is just too delicious. I wonder how hard it would be to get a 3rd party paint shop respray a car in that sig red color.

Yes, I was disappointed when I saw first hand the green color on a roadster:-( Somehow the web color did not match reality.

My wife and I seriously considered a 3D party paint job w/Xena, but the added cost; close to the sun ($5,000) fell short of encouraging us to “get er done.” The Earl S. job for $39.95 just did not encourage us even if it did include the tires.

I am not sure how close your Sig Red is the new Roadster heading towards Mars, but I would go for that red ~ my wife said once it was revealed she would buy that car is a flash ~ but a remodel or two come first. Same with the GrandPups (kids) college. Thank my god there will only ever be just the two:) Otherwise college support would have been the lottery system. Maybe I could have used the draft system:)

I’m pretty sure they killed silver at least once before, and it obviously didn’t stay dead then. Maybe they’re just trolling. Personally, I think the silver is both attractive and practical, but then I’m biased.

ETA: ugh, the original post already pointed that out, didn’t it?

Maybe they just ran out of silver paint and this is their way of covering up until they can get out to Home Depot and buy more.

I took delivery of the Silver Metallic this month and was surprised to hear the news. Everyone loves my color - especially with the upgraded White interior on the Dual Motor edition. I just wondered if it was due to popularity or complexity. I've seen other posts of people saying "enough silver already"...
That looks VERY good... exactly what I would choose (I think!).