Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will support wifi garage opener soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WiFi is a technology that provides iP networking over radio.

is there a standard for WiFi garage doors? I do t see how they can do this and meet everyone’s expectations.

I assume that if it's a WiFi garage door, it would work from anywhere in the world as long as there's internet access.

That is not the case with HomeLink that requires close proximity.

So, what are your concerns?

Probably the same concerns with WiFi door locks. Someone can easily hope on your home wifi and open the garage. Though it isn't hard to intercept an RF signal either so... might as well side with convenience and just hope for the best.

• Funny
Reactions: aspushkin
...Probably the same concerns with WiFi door locks....

Sure. Security is a concern.

That is not particular to wifi garage door.

It's more of a concern for your main router and everything else connected to your main router at home.

It's a security concern with your Tesla app / Tesla website as well.

So, it's an internet security concern and anything else that's connected to it in general, including your Tesla, and not just a wifi garage door.

Reactions: ra88it
Sure. Security is a concern.

That is not particular to wifi garage door.

It's more of a concern for your main router and everything else connected to your main router at home.

It's a security concern with your Tesla app / Tesla website as well.

So, it's an internet security concern and anything else that's connected to it in general, including your Tesla, and not just a wifi garage door.

Correct, I am with you on that. My approach to security these days is, if someone wants it, there is always a way for them to get it, so I might as well make my life as easy as I can, and hope nobody attacks me.

I assume that if it's a WiFi garage door, it would work from anywhere in the world as long as there's internet access.

That is not the case with HomeLink that requires close proximity.

So, what are your concerns?

There is a Chamberlin/Liftmaster MyQ wifi garage door built in. The MyQ app talks to the MyQ server and triggers the garage door. Not sure exactly the protocol, but it does work. I have it. It needs the app and there is a login requirement (thankfully) for security. But, from what I can tell there is no API. Will Tesla support this?

It looks like Chamberlin also has a kit that connects to any existing door. Have a module on the door to tell if it is open/closed and something that triggers the button. The box connects to the home wifi and talks to the MyQ server. this is also supported by the MyQ app.

If I look at amazon or google - there are Refoss brand, AGSHOME brand, NEXX, Smart, eKyro, MOes. Lets not forget GarageMate, GRISCO, NIRO, and then Genie has their own protocol. The list goes on and on. Some have a client server model. Some have a webpage on the local network.

Plus, there are numerous adurino based DIY solutions.

So, when Tesla says "sure, we will add a wifi garage door button" what exactly does that mean?

There is a Chamberlin/Liftmaster MyQ wifi garage door built in. The MyQ app talks to the MyQ server and triggers the garage door. Not sure exactly the protocol, but it does work. I have it. It needs the app and there is a login requirement (thankfully) for security. But, from what I can tell there is no API. Will Tesla support this?

It looks like Chamberlin also has a kit that connects to any existing door. Have a module on the door to tell if it is open/closed and something that triggers the button. The box connects to the home wifi and talks to the MyQ server. this is also supported by the MyQ app.

If I look at amazon or google - there are Refoss brand, AGSHOME brand, NEXX, Smart, eKyro, MOes. Lets not forget GarageMate, GRISCO, NIRO, and then Genie has their own protocol. The list goes on and on. Some have a client server model. Some have a webpage on the local network.

Plus, there are numerous adurino based DIY solutions.

So, when Tesla says "sure, we will add a wifi garage door button" what exactly does that mean?
I have currently 5 MyQs in different houses and they work great with the App. However I have had no luck with integrating them with my security system or Google Home for example...I doubt Tesla will be able to work with them either.

Reactions: ra88it
...what exactly does that mean?

That could mean anything as long as at least 1 single wifi door works!

I am not an expert but I think as long it has a MAC that can work with the internet, it is workable for Tesla.

Different companies register their devices just to work with their servers: Ring work with Ring, MyQ works with MyQ and we have to use their apps, go through their own servers.

So, Tesla either has to

1) work with all those numerous companies to get their devices to work

or

2) it just can query what MAC you have at home and connect that to Tesla's server and get it to work directly without going through other companies.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krash and EchoDelta
I have currently 5 MyQs in different houses and they work great with the App. However I have had no luck with integrating them with my security system or Google Home for example...I doubt Tesla will be able to work with them either.
MyQ works just fine with Google Home Integration. I have it at my home and I use it all the time. When approaching home, I just say to google assistant on my phone "Open garage door 1" and it does it.

MyQ Google Assistant Setup

MyQ works just fine with Google Home Integration. I have it at my home and I use it all the time. When approaching home, I just say to google assistant on my phone "Open garage door 1" and it does it.

That's a great idea.

Right up to,
dave.JPG

I believe someday we will see voice commands do the same, "Hey Tesla, open garage door 1"

2) it just can query what MAC you have at home and connect that to Tesla's server and get it to work directly without going through other companies.

I don’t think it’s that simple. I know the MAC address of the MyQ hub. Is the protocol published that I can authenticate, connect, and control my door without using the app? I haven't looking into it at all, it would be super cool.

I do hope it happens. The HomeLink for my opener on my S is terrible so I would benefit greatly. But I don't see a magic answer here.

They can pick 1-2 major brands to work with, or they could sell their own rebranded hardware for the home side of things. But I don't see it is a one size fits all solution that I would assume the question tweet implies.

I don’t think it’s that simple. I know the MAC address of the MyQ hub. Is the protocol published that I can authenticate, connect, and control my door without using the app? I haven't looking into it at all, it would be super cool.

I do hope it happens. The HomeLink for my opener on my S is terrible so I would benefit greatly. But I don't see a magic answer here.

They can pick 1-2 major brands to work with, or they could sell their own rebranded hardware for the home side of things. But I don't see it is a one size fits all solution that I would assume the question tweet implies.
I tend to agree with this not being very likely to happen soon. I've got a Tailwind garage door opener, the way it works is that the device connects (from within your local home wifi network) to its server in the cloud. so I'm almost 100% certain there is no way that it will respond to any incoming connections. The easiest way to integrate it would by to do the same as the Tailwind phone app, i.e. open a secure connection to the server, and then send commands to open or close the door (and read its open/closed state etc.).

Now this very likely has its own proprietary protocol, as just about every device out there will have. So I'm not saying it is impossible for Tesla to support it, but they will need to work with every single manufacturer to have universal support.

I am holding off buying the Homelink because of this. I have My Q for my garage already, my guess is there will be some kind of partnership between them?

I have MyQ on both my gate and garage door. The company is so behind in its time that it refuses to allow user to open gate/garage door with any integration due to safety concerns. And the gate has less feature (which doesn't make any sense) than garage opener. At least, it works really well with HomeLink and that's one of the reason I bought the module and installed on my car.

Reactions: fbitz777

Glad they stopped the subscription for that. I swore off Chamberlain when I found out they were charging for google integration. Nice to see they reversed that policy... for now.

Reactions: RNHurt and Curb71
Every experience I have with myQ has been awful. The setup experience is abysmal, with the phone app, web site, and printed directions contradicting each other and ALL being incorrect. The phone app is slow to use, and fails to work ¼ of the time and has zero intelligence (its no smarter than an old clicker device). The Watch app is so slow its actually faster to get out of the car, walk into the house, go into the garage, and push the opener button. I'm also very skeptical about myQ security, given they seem clueless about most everything else.

There are really only two ways Tesla could pull off WiFi garage door compatibility:

1. Do a private deal with myQ to get access to their private protocols. This would of course limit the function to myQ doors only. It would also mean a bunch of setup in the car, presumably adding account information etc. And would probably suffer from the same instability that I see with the iPhone app (which is probably caused by the back-end servers etc at myQ).

2. Use HomeKit and equivalent on Android. This would at least work with anyone who integrated in with these automation frameworks. But myQ only does this via a clunky ($$$) bridge, so that would not work out of the box. Also, you are then going an incredibly long and tortuous route to open your garage door. Car > HomeKit Bridge (Apple TV or HomePod) > myQ Bridge > MyQ > Garage Door Opener, with probably a couple of extra trips to Apple and myQ servers thrown in. Also, it would requires Tesla to integrate into HomeKit/Android, which doesnt seem likely.

Neither seems very practical, especially for a device that essentially unlocks your home.

I have MyQ on both my gate and garage door. The company is so behind in its time that it refuses to allow user to open gate/garage door with any integration due to safety concerns. And the gate has less feature (which doesn't make any sense) than garage opener. At least, it works really well with HomeLink and that's one of the reason I bought the module and installed on my car.
I know what you mean, I had Homelink for my Model S before trading it in for the Model Y and loved it. Very tempting to just buying it now, but $300 is $300. Wife already got annoyed I spent $500 for tint on the S and we only had it for 6 months. haha, she won't like it if I spend $300 now and find out later we don't need it.