Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will support wifi garage opener soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This could be great. I don't have a wifi garage opener, but this could convince me to get one. Homelink does not have different signals for open and close . A wifi garage door opener would most likely not suffer from this limitation.

Half the time when I get home from work the garage door is already open (other family members get home first and open it) so the car closes the garage door when it tries to auto-open.
Not sure why Tesla couldn't use vision to determine if the garage door is open or closed on approach. That's how I determine if the homelink should be skipped.

I assume that if it's a WiFi garage door, it would work from anywhere in the world as long as there's internet access.

That is not the case with HomeLink that requires close proximity.

So, what are your concerns?
I, like many (most?) would still need HomeLink for 2 reasons. The first is my condo’s front gate access that responds beautifully to the geotagging on my S. WiFi would be useless and would require me to carry the front gate remote. No thanks.

The second is my garage door opener has never given me a single problem, so I would have no intention of replacing it just for wifi functionality. It too operates flawlessly with the geotagging HoneLink on my S.

The ‘antiquated’ HomeLink works perfectly in my 2 daily applications. If it ain’t broke...

Although I have the Homelink module in my car, I sometimes like to open it a bit further out from the house so that its already open when I get there.

Since I had been dabbling around with home automation for a while, I built this:

It's not too difficult to do if you have a good home automation hub. Mine is built with the following:
  • Hubitat HE
  • My DSC alarm systems output circuit
    • Also used some contact sensors (for door position)
  • My Liftmaster Jackshaft GDO.
    • This has MyQ already, and there is a plugin for Hubitat, but I decided to not use this.
Anyway, quite easy to do with a compatible Zwave or Zigbee garage door opener and Hubitat or something similar.

The advanced technology on the Model Y is the reason I ordered one. I never thought that HomeLink would not be built in, it is nearly standard on ICE cars. Now I find out it is not built in and not offered at time of ordering. I would understand this better if Tesla considered it obsolete technology and offered something better, but that is not the case. For $300. I would have preferred buying a state of the art WIFI/Bluetooth controller for my opener that would work seamlessly with Tesla. So now I have to decide to go back in time and use my $25. remote controller like in the old days, or spend $300. to install old tech solution and I can't even have that done before pickup, need a second step!

Reactions: Ken7
Although I have the Homelink module in my car, I sometimes like to open it a bit further out from the house so that its already open when I get there.

Since I had been dabbling around with home automation for a while, I built this:

It's not too difficult to do if you have a good home automation hub. Mine is built with the following:
  • Hubitat HE
  • My DSC alarm systems output circuit
    • Also used some contact sensors (for door position)
  • My Liftmaster Jackshaft GDO.
    • This has MyQ already, and there is a plugin for Hubitat, but I decided to not use this.
Anyway, quite easy to do with a compatible Zwave or Zigbee garage door opener and Hubitat or something similar.

Interesting idea...how's the server/web response time compare to Homelink. I mean, I have homelink installed and the car will automatically open the garage for me when I'm close by without lifting a finger. But for other integration, I'll need to open the browser (or phone), click on some macro button to activate it. Thus, making it a solution, but probably not easier than Homelink? Thoughts?

Interesting idea...how's the server/web response time compare to Homelink. I mean, I have homelink installed and the car will automatically open the garage for me when I'm close by without lifting a finger. But for other integration, I'll need to open the browser (or phone), click on some macro button to activate it. Thus, making it a solution, but probably not easier than Homelink? Thoughts?
As posted earlier (not sure if it was in this thread) there are various solutions that work on a phone app in combination with your location, and will automatically close and open the garage door when you leave/arrive.

But not necessarily when the CAR leaves or arrives, since this is per-phone, not per-car.
The system I use (Tailwind) allows you to install it on each driver's phone, and works when Bluetooth is paired with the car (so it doesn't open or close the door when you leave the house without the car). Agreed it isn't tied directly to the car, but surely is closest as possible to that.

Even WIFI is so outdated. They need to support Wave and ZigBee, and work with popular smart home systems... like SmartThings. It is a a natural match, and can be easily, and cheaply done.

Actually, you can DIY, just put an arrival sensor in the car and have your Smart Home systems open the garage, lights... for you.

Last edited:
I have currently 5 MyQs in different houses and they work great with the App. However I have had no luck with integrating them with my security system or Google Home for example...I doubt Tesla will be able to work with them either.

Well I think they can. You and brkaus bring up a good point about there being various implementations from several manufacturers and how can it be done. I think it is fairly simple. If I can do it, then Tesla can do it. They are probably a lot smarter about that implementation than I am. I also have a couple MyQs in my home and I have been able to integrate them with my security system by creating my own app. It took me about 2 days of coding as I recall. And yes, I can run it from the browser in my Tesla, so to me, this is a simple process. Not that difficult to get it to work with the 4 most popular WiFi door opening systems on the market that represent 96% of that market. And yes, agree, Tesla is going to have a few holes it won't be able to easily plug, so not going to cover all of the WiFi opening options.

Even WIFI is so outdated. They need to support Wave and ZigBee, and work with popular smart home systems... like SmartThings. It is a a natural match, and can be easily, and cheaply done.

Actually, you can DIY, just put an arrival sensor in the car and have your Smart Home systems open the garage, lights... for you.
Yes, would be nice to support some Z-Wave and ZigBee things, but I would not go so far as to say WiFi is outdated. You know it is used for a completely different reason than the other two approaches, so not comparable. WiFi will be around for a long time to come.

Z-Wave is so outdated! nowadays you actually need to buy a bridge from Z-wave to Wifi (e.g. Wink hub) to do anything useful...PLUS good luck having Tesla (assuming it would even have a Z-wave transmitter) open a door unless it's like 25 feet or less away. ZigBee has never taken off.

MyQ integration with Google works fine for closing and check status. I can't get Google assistant to open the garage. Someone said he could. Could you?

I have both of my doors setup with MyQ, Hubitat, and Google Assistant. I can open and close the doors. Although I am still installing homelink in the car as I found it sometimes not reliable. But the biggest thing I didn't like was the loud beeping it does on closing. I understand why, but with a baby above the garage sleeping it was a no go.

Every experience I have with myQ has been awful. The setup experience is abysmal, with the phone app, web site, and printed directions contradicting each other and ALL being incorrect. The phone app is slow to use, and fails to work ¼ of the time and has zero intelligence (its no smarter than an old clicker device). The Watch app is so slow its actually faster to get out of the car, walk into the house, go into the garage, and push the opener button. I'm also very skeptical about myQ security, given they seem clueless about most everything else.
Absolutely agree. I can't count all the times that I lost the signal and had to re-pair it with my phone and wifi. When it works, it's great, and I love the phone app.

I hope if Elon pulls this off that it will work with the right nipple voice command.