Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will switch to CCS2 (from proprietary connector) in Taiwan starting Q3 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla will already have to deal with CCS1 if they really follow through with promises to open the network to other EVs.
I doubt that. They'll probably sell an adapter that other EVs can use, in addition to selling an adapter that will allow their vehicles to use CCS1 chargers.
Note Tesla got no traction in terms of getting people to adopt their proprietary connector, so I doubt they can work the Apple market share magic. EV charging just doesn't work that way.
What are you talking about? They got EVgo to install Tesla connectors on their DC fast chargers -- simply because they were too big of a market to ignore. Tesla Model 3, S, X & Y Charging with EVgo Fast Charging

I doubt that. They'll probably sell an adapter that other EVs can use, in addition to selling an adapter that will allow their vehicles to use CCS1 chargers.
Well, we'll see what happens, but they make dual connector superchargers already and it's not that big a leap to do a CCS1 one instead of CCS2.
What are you talking about? They got EVgo to install Tesla connectors on their DC fast chargers -- simply because they were too big of a market to ignore. Tesla Model 3, S, X & Y Charging with EVgo Fast Charging
I'm talking about adding Tesla's connector to cars. So far no one bothered, and instead Tesla is now even considering allowing access to the network to cars without TPC (previously that was a requirement).

The EVgo installations are simply a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter put into a box (with Tesla supplying a slightly longer cable), as such the CHAdeMO connector must be plugged into the box for the Tesla connector to work. It was better than just strapping one to the side of the charger as they did previously. They did the bare minimum effort. Discussed here:
Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

To get CCS2 adopted in the US as the defacto standard (to the point CCS1 is retired), cars other than Tesla would need to use it too. Otherwise the charging networks will just put another connector like they are doing now and it won't change anything.

Last edited:
As an update, it seems while Tesla seems to have converted older V2 stations to use TPC/CCS2 dual head, the newer V3 seem to have them in 50:50 ratio (instead of stalls having both). From other thread:
CCS Adapter for North America

Just an example from stations opened in January this year:
臺南 - 永康愛買 | Tesla
V3
3 個 TPC 超級充電座
3 個 CCS2 超級充電座
嘉義-太保 | Tesla
V3
5 個 TPC 超級充電座
4 個 CCS2 超級充電座
V2
8 個 TPC + CCS2 超級充電座

This is the opposite issue, and would be much less of a concern. In this example, you are plugging in a connector that does not have any wires on the unused pins, and on the car side, you also would not have any voltages on the two unused pins.

The situation I described would be plugging in a hypothetical 3-phase EVSE into a car that had dummy pins on it. Once the EVSE switched power on, now you have two hot lines terminating in the inlet port. Perhaps this is not a huge electrical safety issue as long as there is suitable insulation protecting those unused pins from touching something, or perhaps even the EVSE could determine that the two extra phases were not in use and open independent contactors on the EVSE side for additional safety (for all I know, maybe they already do that in Europe for cars that don't support 3-phase charging).
This situation already exists in Europe. There are EVs that only support single phase charging there. They just use two of the 3 hots. Doesn't really cause any issues as far as I'm aware. I don't think there's a particular safety issue since the extra conductor wouldn't be touching anything.

Here's how one station deals with things, a chained CCS1 adapter:
995-0a29f7d0ea.jpeg

特斯拉原廠 CCS1 to TPC 轉接頭登陸台灣,就在台泥 NHOA.TCC 充電站 (花蓮 DAKA)::DDCAR 電動車

The same station looks like previously had a chained CHAdeMO adapter:
06-f207f8ea20.jpeg

花蓮台泥 DAKA 充電站復活啦!電動車快充規格全到齊,3/2 前每度電只要 1 元,還請你喝一杯拿鐵::DDCAR 電動車

Reactions: ambudriver03