Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will switch to CCS2 (from proprietary connector) in Taiwan starting Q3 2021

STS-134

Aug 8, 2021
SF Bay Area
Tesla will already have to deal with CCS1 if they really follow through with promises to open the network to other EVs.
I doubt that. They'll probably sell an adapter that other EVs can use, in addition to selling an adapter that will allow their vehicles to use CCS1 chargers.
Note Tesla got no traction in terms of getting people to adopt their proprietary connector, so I doubt they can work the Apple market share magic. EV charging just doesn't work that way.
What are you talking about? They got EVgo to install Tesla connectors on their DC fast chargers -- simply because they were too big of a market to ignore. Tesla Model 3, S, X & Y Charging with EVgo Fast Charging

stopcrazypp

Dec 8, 2007
I doubt that. They'll probably sell an adapter that other EVs can use, in addition to selling an adapter that will allow their vehicles to use CCS1 chargers.
Well, we'll see what happens, but they make dual connector superchargers already and it's not that big a leap to do a CCS1 one instead of CCS2.
What are you talking about? They got EVgo to install Tesla connectors on their DC fast chargers -- simply because they were too big of a market to ignore. Tesla Model 3, S, X & Y Charging with EVgo Fast Charging
I'm talking about adding Tesla's connector to cars. So far no one bothered, and instead Tesla is now even considering allowing access to the network to cars without TPC (previously that was a requirement).

The EVgo installations are simply a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter put into a box (with Tesla supplying a slightly longer cable), as such the CHAdeMO connector must be plugged into the box for the Tesla connector to work. It was better than just strapping one to the side of the charger as they did previously. They did the bare minimum effort. Discussed here:
Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

To get CCS2 adopted in the US as the defacto standard (to the point CCS1 is retired), cars other than Tesla would need to use it too. Otherwise the charging networks will just put another connector like they are doing now and it won't change anything.

Last edited:

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC