Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will use camera to monitor driver behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Hm... Looking at TeslaFi stats, only 3 vehicles (out of ~14,500 TeslaFi users) are on 2021.4.15.11. And there are 0 pending installs.

All 3 of those vehicles are nearly brand new Model Y's. (All 3 have VINs between 185xxx and 189xxx and odometers <200 miles.)

1622233821268.png

And the owner who (inadvertently?) broke the news about all this on Twitter also noted that his new Model Y is one of the new radar-less vehicles that will lack or limit certain AP/FSD features until the "Tesla Vision" system improves. I wonder if these things are related. (I.e., I wonder if it's possible that the driver camera monitoring is only intended to be temporary until Tesla Vision achieves parity with radar-equipped vehicles?)

Last edited:
Even though it has a camera that faces you it is "supposed" to only detect behavior and not send video to Tesla. Part of the cars AI is the ability to detect things like...
  • BLINDED
  • DARK
  • EYES_CLOSED
  • EYES_DOWN
  • EYES_NOMINAL
  • EYES_UP
  • HEAD_DOWN
  • HEAD_TRUNC
  • LOOKING_LEFT
  • LOOKING_RIGHT
  • PHONE_USE
  • SUNGLASSES_EYES_LIKELY_NOMINAL
  • SUNGLASSES_LIKELY_EYES_DOWN
  • PICKING_A_BOOGER
(Last one I added lol)

This camera I believe is a requirement for you to accept to be part of the full self driving beta program. But again it is only supposed to send simple data back to Tesla and not video. So unless they setup a way to detect picking your nose and to send that data back to Tesla you should be good to go.

The interesting thing is if your car is hacked then what could they do with that type of video. It would be nice to be able to record using this camera if you were say a uber or lyft driver or maybe you can and I just do not know since I am still waiting for the MYP.

Autopilot is standard. The upgrade is Full Self Driving. If you have a 3 or Y purchased after they made that standard (2019 some time), this effects your caso far,
Autopilot is standard. The upgrade is Full Self Driving. If you have a 3 or Y purchased after they made that standard (2019 some time), this effects your car.
so far, my MY LR is unaffected by blocking the camera. i took it out for a 20 mile spin with no problem

I tested by looking down at my phone while in AP on the freeway. The car goes straight to red warning saying move the steering wheel a little instead of the blue warning first. So there is no blue warning light saying move the steering. If your head is down, it'll go straight to the red indicator saying pay attention move the steering wheel. Tried without looking at my cell by slightly putting my head down as well.

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt
So does this mean you can take your hands off the wheel for more then 20 seconds like GM allows with their Cruze system. I much prefer some local AI watching what I am doing and making sure I am paying attention vs having to move the wheel every 20 seconds... In this scenario I think GM is ahead of Tesla now.

Reactions: Velcade
So does this mean you can take your hands off the wheel for more then 20 seconds like GM allows with their Cruze system. I much prefer some local AI watching what I am doing and making sure I am paying attention vs having to move the wheel every 20 seconds... In this scenario I think GM is ahead of Tesla now.
Not while I’ve used it. Still have to touch wheel like normal. But if I look down at my phone or don’t pay attention to road I get an immediate alert to touch steering wheel.

I tried again today on the freeway. Just put my head facing down and the warning light came on right away straight to the red move the steerring wheel alert.

@DanDi58 did you face down and not look at the road? If you have your head down and are looking at the road the sensor sees it and the alert doesn't go off. I think the intension is for people who are trying to sleep while on autopilot.

Just tried it today with basic AP. No impact by looking away or down. Normal 15-20 seconds or so before the regular warning kicked in. I'm on 2021.24.11.

I tried again today on the freeway. Just put my head facing down and the warning light came on right away straight to the red move the steerring wheel alert.

@DanDi58 did you face down and not look at the road? If you have your head down and are looking at the road the sensor sees it and the alert doesn't go off. I think the intension is for people who are trying to sleep while on autopilot.

Is there any evidence yet that vehicles with radar are affected by the cabin camera?

It appears @DanDi58 got his vehicle in March 2021, so I believe his vehicle would still have radar, while @PackMan730 just got his, so his vehicle would not have radar. So the difference in behavior would be expected.

Quick update. I put multiple layers of regular scotch tape over the camera and tested again looking with my head down at my phone, and with AP on. The car doesn't show the alert anymore, but it does more of the blue "move the steering wheel" alert more frequently. So AP does work with the camera covered on radar less MY. The interior camera is on and looking to see if you're paying attention to the road when AP is engaged.

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt
Is there any evidence yet that vehicles with radar are affected by the cabin camera?

It appears @DanDi58 got his vehicle in March 2021, so I believe his vehicle would still have radar, while @PackMan730 just got his, so his vehicle would not have radar. So the difference in behavior would be expected.
Correct, my car has radar. Tested it again on a road trip this week both on TACC only and basic AutoPilot (TACC and AS). No change to behavior of nags. My wife asked what the heck was I doing..... So it appears that until the radar and radarless cars are on the same SW branch, it will remain different.