Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla window and child lock question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't know the answer as I've never used the child lock feature. However, in the event of an emergency, I have a seat belt cutter and window breaker tool in both back seat pockets.

My guess would be that if the car still has electrical power, you should be able to open the doors from the outside. Windows should still work from the driver's controls.

On the touchscreen you can lock the back windows and doors (child lock). But what about in an emergency if somehow the touchscreen is damaged and we can't disengage the child lock. Is there a manual override of some kind?
In the Model 3, the rear door switches are actuated electronically and there is no manual release (unlike the front). Some people have added their own hidden manual release, using the pull cables inside the door panels from factory:

If you don't make that mod, plan to have your rear passengers exit from the front in an emergency. Or as mentioned, you can get a glass breaker.

• Informative
Reactions: phaheem