Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Window Tint San Diego Frequently Asked Questions Answered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having been in the automotive aftercare (Detailing, Paint Protection and Window Tint) business in San Diego County for 20 years even I am sometimes astonished as to how far the technology has come in the automotive world. Carburetors are a distant memory. Even engines are almost obsolete at this point! Wax has given way to Ceramic Coatings and Paint Protection Film. This same advancement has happened in the window tint industry.

When tinting you Tesla in San Diego there’s a few things to consider that can really make or break your overall experience. Quality of the window film, skill level of the installer, type of window tint and choosing the shade that matches your personal preference can all make or break your happiness with your final product.

Rather than write a long article about Telsa’s and Tinting I think It’s easier to answer the questions that we see asked most often about adding window tint to your Tesla.

Q – Is Window Tint applied on the inside or outside of my Tesla?
A- Window Tint is applied on the inside of your car. But much of the prep work needed to have the film installed is performed on the outside

Q – What is Ceramic IR (infrared) Window Tint and why do I need it for my Tesla?
A- Infrared Window Film is the newest innovation in window tint. Ceramic Pro’s film is called KAVACA IR. Unlike dyed films of the past that would purple and fade over time KAVACA IR is guaranteed for a lifetime to not fade or change color. KAVACA IR is made of Ceramic Nano Particles and is comprised of several layers to create a type of polarization to block the sun from traveling through the glass. It is then topped with an IR heat rejecting layer that actually captures heat on the glass and then whisps it away before it can enter your Tesla.

Q – Is Window Tint recommended for my Tesla
A- KAVACA window film has been proven to reduce heat inside of your Tesla by up to 80%, and will not have any negative effects on your glass or other automotive surfaces.

Q – Does the panoramic moon roof of my Tesla block UV rays? And does it keep my car cool?
A – The roofs on the Tesla are more technologically advanced than most other makes and models. You might notice that yours even changes colors when wet. That is due to the UV inhibitors added to the glass. Your Tesla will block most UV-B rays but is not as good at preventing UV-A rays from traveling into the car. Additionally, the IR rejection level is relatively low. The good news is that adding a Ceramic IR window tint will greatly reduce cancer causing rays from entering the car as well as make the vehicle much cooler and more comfortable to drive.

Q – What is VLT?
A – VLT stands for Visible light transmitted. You may call this the shade of the tint. The lower the number the darker the film. So a 5% tint allows 5% of visible light to pass through and a 70% film is very light and allows 70% of visible light to pass through.

Q- The rear windows on my Tesla seem darker than the front windows. Are they tinted at the factory?
A – As an example the rear windows of the Tesla Model Y meter at 24% VLT (visible light transmitted) meaning that 24% of the light from outside travels inside. While this adds privacy for the rear of the vehicle, it does not do much to reduce cabin heat. Adding KAVACA Ceramic IR window tint will increase your heat rejection significantly as well as block 99% of UVA and UVB rays that are cancer causing.

Q – Is it legal to add window tint to my Tesla?
A – In most states it is legal to add any shade of window tint to the back glass and moonroof on your Tesla. The laws vary from state to state for your front 2 windows. In California your front 2 windows must meter at or higher than 70 VLT (Visible Light Transmitted)

Q – I’ve heard tint can scratch your glass. Is that true?
A – When choosing a shop it’s important to choose a shop that is properly trained and has the right equipment. At our shops we use a plotter to cut the shape of the film and then use a file to ensure the film is tight all the way to the edge. In the case where we have to cut own patterns we DO NOT cut on the vehicle. All of our cutting is done on glass “peel boards” that are off of the vehicle.

Q – Does adding window tint decrease my visibility?
A – When choosing a high quality film like KAVACA IR the clarity from the inside of the car will look and feel almost as if there is no film on the car at all.

Q – Can my Tesla Model 3 window be tinted in one piece?
A – Yes! Of course! We always apply KAVACA window film in once piece on the rear glass of Tesla Model 3’s. We use a software that precision cuts the film to ensure there are no light gaps for a perfect snug install.

Q – What does color stable mean?
A – Color stable means that the film will not fade or change color over time. This is typically the lowest requirement for a film to carry a lengthy warranty.

Q – Aren’t all tints pretty much the same?
A – If all you care about is style, IE you just want your car to look darker or to have privacy than yes, it doesn’t matter which film you choose as long as it is “color stable”. But if you want to stay cooler in your car and reduce your air conditioning consumption than an IR film is the right call for you and your Tesla.

Thank you to all of our San Diego County customers! Your patronage has meant the world to use over the last few years especially during the pandemic.

We look forward to serving you at our San Diego (Kearny Mesa) and Carlsbad Shops in 2022 and beyond!

Find us at:

CeramicProSD.com
FB - @ceramicproSD
IG - @CeramicProSD
YT - @CeramicProElite

Many of you know us as 5 Point Auto Spa locally in San Diego. We are still the same company but under a different name. We are now Ceramic Pro Elite Dealers and have shops in San Diego and Carlsbad. Everyone believes they are special and the "the best". But let me tell you why we are San Diego's best option for Protecting, Tinting and Customizing your Tesla in San Diego Country. We are a corporate owned Ceramic Pro facility and we act as Ceramic Pro's training division for installers around the world. What does this mean for you a regular old Tesla owner in San Diego or Carlsbad area? It means that you and your Tesla will get the best window tint treatment by the best installers in the world. All of our jobs carry manufacturer warranty and installation warranty. We've been serving the car San Diego car community since 2003 and have built so many wonderful relationships with the Tesla Community in San Diego County and SoCal. We encourage you to visit our San Diego and Carlsbad facilities! We love meeting new Tesla owners and discussing how we can protect and enhance your new pride and joy!
Find our Elite Dealer Site Here:
CeramicPro.com/San-Diego

Check out a video we made showcasing 2 very different looking films that block an equal amount of heat. And that also demonstrates how close we get to the edge with our installs on the Tesla Frameless windows

Last edited:
I have Kavaca PPF and Kavaca IR film (all windows) on my Tesla MY. I love the products but the customer service is also great! Ive taken cars there in the past and will continue to bring future cars here. Thank you CeramicPro SD/5Point Auto!