Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla window trim scratches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. Wanted to see if anyone else had this issue. I have a bunch of scratches on the driver door (trim) and I couldn’t figure out what they were from. After getting into the car today I realized that my left hand wedding ring actually sits right about at that spot when I get out of the car. I’m 6’5” and place my hand there every time I get out of the car. Has anyone else seen this on their car? My ring is pretty plain and this is totally baffling me.

IMG_2439.jpg IMG_2441.jpg IMG_2440.jpg

Hey all. Wanted to see if anyone else had this issue. I have a bunch of scratches on the driver door (trim) and I couldn’t figure out what they were from. After getting into the car today I realized that my left hand wedding ring actually sits right about at that spot when I get out of the car. I’m 6’5” and place my hand there every time I get out of the car. Has anyone else seen this on their car? My ring is pretty plain and this is totally baffling me.

View attachment 306201 View attachment 306202 View attachment 306203

The ring is scratching the trim. My wife did the same thing with the bottom of her ring on the painted drivers door upper window frame of her last car. Her ring also scratched the crap out of the door pocket of another car. Even the 14k white gold will scratch polished aluminum trim.

That sucks. You can replace that trim pretty easily (roll down window, lift up edge while curling outward, and just finger step down - no screws, glue, etc to worry about). Maybe train yourself to push the door with your fingers and not ring and reward yourself with a new trim price after your new close body mechanics become habit.

Ohh! Since it’s already damaged, I would get a firm foam applicator and use some compound and polish to try and buff it out. Go with the grain. Bet it conceals it nicely. It probably won’t look worse even if it is not perfect.

Thanks!
-Michael

• Informative
Reactions: Gtosnipey
That sucks. You can replace that trim pretty easily (roll down window, lift up edge while curling outward, and just finger step down - no screws, glue, etc to worry about). Maybe train yourself to push the door with your fingers and not ring and reward yourself with a new trim price after your new close body mechanics become habit.

Ohh! Since it’s already damaged, I would get a firm foam applicator and use some compound and polish to try and buff it out. Go with the grain. Bet it conceals it nicely. It probably won’t look worse even if it is not perfect.

Thanks!
-Michael

I will try the applicator and trying to polish / buff it out. I have been attempting to be more cognizant of where I am placing my hand getting out of the car. Just strange I have never had this happen on any of my vehicles before and I feel I get out the exact same way.

Funny I see this thread now. My car was at the SC for two weeks and I had just got my chrome delete done a couple days before dropping it off. I got it back and didn't realize until today but several areas of my chrome delete are scuffed up. One is on the top trim of the driver side door, another scuff that caused a crease on my driver door handle. The service they were doing was to repair my driver side door control module so I'm sure they opened and closed it a lot. The ring explanation makes sense. Gonna bitch at the SC tomorrow when they open.

• Informative
Reactions: Gtosnipey