Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Winds and Elevation Web Browser App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow! Not to besmirch Texas, but they kind of do it to themselves with the talk of succession because we elected a black president and the rolling coal trucks everywhere. I know, they have Austin (with a BIG Apple campus) there, and Corpus Cristi is really a nice beach town, oh and they have Chip and Joanna.

Other than that I don't hear a lot that would ever make me say what you did, especially as an electric car owner.

Texas is a lot different than what people see on TV. I do not wear a 10 gallon hat, ride my horse to the farmer's market, have a cactus in my yard, or avoid tumbleweeds when walking down the street.

Yes, there are a lot of, shall we say, conservative-leaning voters in this state. But the vast majority are wonderful, kind people, who grew up with and practice a culture of offering hospitality and good times.

I've driven a Tesla here since early 2015, and I've never been coal rolled. I've seen it in YouTube videos, and I've heard anecdotes here and there, but never actually seen it. If there's one thing most Texans are, it's law-abiding citizens. Coal rolling down here is likely to get you pulled over and cited by the Sheriff who actually does wear a 10 gallon hat. :eek: Clean air, water, and public spaces are taken seriously here. Littering is a $1000 fine, and yes, I've seen it happen.

Culture here is rich and interesting. Everything from big business (refining/oil/gas/chemical processing, financial services, huge medical/healthcare field) to cusine (Tex-Mex, Barbecue, Cajun/Creole influence, Gulf Coast seafood), to tourism (Big Bend national park, San Antonio Riverwalk, Johnson Space Center).

Cost of living is a fraction of what you pay in CA, and so is electricity (I'm at 8.9 cents per kWh daytime, free nights).

Come on down and visit. I'll put a brisket in the smoker for ya. :D

1. No, that won't hurt anything, you can use the desktop machine to verify your API keys are working.
2. If you get it working on the desktop, copy the URL from your desktop browser, paste it into a calendar appointment, and then pull up the calendar in the car and copy and paste into the car's browser. This assumes you're using the calendar sync feature with your phone and your desktop.
cant copy from calendar nothing happens, tried long press, 2 fingers and a prayer as well :p

was able to copy using 3rd party website, now cant figure out how to paste
feel stupid

Last edited:
cant copy from calendar nothing happens, tried long press, 2 fingers and a prayer as well :p

was able to copy using 3rd party website, now cant figure out how to paste
feel stupid

I think what I've done in the past is paste the URL on the desktop into the notes field of the calendar appointment you're creating (I use Outlook on a PC). When you open the appointment in the car, the URL is there. I think either you can select it and copy/paste, or you might be able to just click on it and have it open in the browser.

I think what I've done in the past is paste the URL on the desktop into the notes field of the calendar appointment you're creating (I use Outlook on a PC). When you open the appointment in the car, the URL is there. I think either you can select it and copy/paste, or you might be able to just click on it and have it open in the browser.
thanks for your reply.
i just typed the whole thing. i do see tge app page load, but no data is displayed, no speed, wind etc.
only number i see is elevation in negative 1000??

rebooted MCU. no change

If the app is having trouble connecting to OpenWeatherMap or GeoNames to get the wind and elevation data, the screen will look like what you're describing. Give it a few minutes to see if it will connect.

If not, try to put the car on WiFi to verify that the app and your browser are working properly.

Sorry you're having so much trouble, but I can confirm that the app is up and running/working at this time.

If the app is having trouble connecting to OpenWeatherMap or GeoNames to get the wind and elevation data, the screen will look like what you're describing. Give it a few minutes to see if it will connect.

If not, try to put the car on WiFi to verify that the app and your browser are working properly.

Sorry you're having so much trouble, but I can confirm that the app is up and running/working at this time.
Oh please, dont say sorry.
I am in office now, so wont be able to connect to WiFi. But the browser on my laptop does show all the data points, elevation, wind speed, direction & elevation.
Not sure if it matters, but I was in the boonies of New England when I was testing this. Connectivity to data was good & reliable, in fact one of my replies above was written from the tesla browser.

I have been having trouble with Tesla winds running correctly on MCU autopilot 2.5 hardware lately. When I click on teslawinds link it loads the page but doesn't show any wind or direction data. If I close browser and reopen browser then it asks me give permission to use my location. When I click yes then it loads wind data but as I'm driving the speed and direction dial is not working properly and is spitting out incorrect values for speed and direction. Everything worked great a few Tesla updates ago but not working on 2019.12.1.1.

Just wondering if others are seeing this too?

I have been having trouble with Tesla winds running correctly on MCU autopilot 2.5 hardware lately. When I click on teslawinds link it loads the page but doesn't show any wind or direction data. If I close browser and reopen browser then it asks me give permission to use my location. When I click yes then it loads wind data but as I'm driving the speed and direction dial is not working properly and is spitting out incorrect values for speed and direction. Everything worked great a few Tesla updates ago but not working on 2019.12.1.1.

I have not yet tested the app on 12.1.1, if there are issues with it I'll investigate once I get the 12.1.1 update.

may be this is my issue as well, I ll check which version I have and report here.

It fails on my Model 3 under 19.12.1.1 as well, as do any site that requires getting location from the browser.

@RaddMann @iCharge @Randy Spencer

OK, got 2019.12.1.2, tested things, and I believe the browser has a bug with requesting the user permission to use the location data.

What I see is that if the browser is already running, and you bring up TeslaWinds.com, the browser will not ask the user for permission to use the location data, and what you'll see in the browser is that the wind and elevation data won't load (it will show 0.0 for wind direction, and -1000 feet for elevation).

What you can do at this point is close the browser window completely using the X in the upper left corner. Once it's closed, then open it again, and the site will reload, and now the browser will ask for your permission to use location data. Click Allow, and then the site will load and run normally.

I think you can use this procedure for any site that needs location data, like TeslaWaze. If this bug shows up there, TeslaWaze will load the bottom controls (gear icon for settings, + and - icons for zoom), but will not load any map tiles. Close the browser, open it again, the page reloads, the prompt for location data permission comes up, click Allow, then the site works normally.

Tesla will need to fix the bug in the browser code, but until then you can use this work-around for any site that needs location data.

If the elevation is showing -1000, it means that the elevation couldn't be retrieved. It should show a red "No elevation data received" eventually if that happens..
Glad you explained it. At -1000 feet I was wondering if I was in hell :eek: Seriously though, this is fabulous work. Very nice and to be mostly client side code, it is a nice design and impressive. Looking forward to trying it on my next coast to coast trip.

What I see is that if the browser is already running, and you bring up TeslaWinds.com, the browser will not ask the user for permission to use the location data, and what you'll see in the browser is that the wind and elevation data won't load (it will show 0.0 for wind direction, and -1000 feet for elevation).

What you can do at this point is close the browser window completely using the X in the upper left corner. Once it's closed, then open it again, and the site will reload, and now the browser will ask for your permission to use location data. Click Allow, and then the site will load and run normally.
I just came here to note that it wasn't working for me in my X -- this is exactly what I was seeing. I'll try that workaround next time I'm in the car. Thanks!

Thanks for the hint up thread on how to deal with the current bug on not always asking for geo-location permission.

Are others seeing their speed jumping around now? On the way to Custer driving along at 81 mph on the speedo, I would see TeslaWinds have the speed toggle back and forth between 72 mph and 90 mph about once a second. Another time, just after leaving Murdo, SD, I saw it toggle between 0 mph and 179 mph. The grade information seems to be broken as well.

I suspect these issues started happening when Tesla switched to Chromium as the web browser.

Thanks for the hint up thread on how to deal with the current bug on not always asking for geo-location permission.

Are others seeing their speed jumping around now? On the way to Custer driving along at 81 mph on the speedo, I would see TeslaWinds have the speed toggle back and forth between 72 mph and 90 mph about once a second. Another time, just after leaving Murdo, SD, I saw it toggle between 0 mph and 179 mph. The grade information seems to be broken as well.

I suspect these issues started happening when Tesla switched to Chromium as the web browser.

Yep, I'm seeing this also. I think it's a difference in the way Chromium handles the geo location data and the timing. I'll have to experiment with some Javascript modifications and see what I can do.