Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Winds and Elevation Web Browser App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strangest thing - App works perfectly on my iPad, but will not work in the car. Copied the URL, tried to do the verify API - no luck. It seems like a great app, I just can’t seem to get it working in the car.

Model S - v9.0 (2019.16.2 73d3f3c)

This is not a complaint - I can’t imagine the # of hours SomeJoe777 has spent developing and upgrading the app!

@RaddMann @iCharge @Randy Spencer

OK, got 2019.12.1.2, tested things, and I believe the browser has a bug with requesting the user permission to use the location data.

What I see is that if the browser is already running, and you bring up TeslaWinds.com, the browser will not ask the user for permission to use the location data, and what you'll see in the browser is that the wind and elevation data won't load (it will show 0.0 for wind direction, and -1000 feet for elevation).

What you can do at this point is close the browser window completely using the X in the upper left corner. Once it's closed, then open it again, and the site will reload, and now the browser will ask for your permission to use location data. Click Allow, and then the site will load and run normally.

I think you can use this procedure for any site that needs location data, like TeslaWaze. If this bug shows up there, TeslaWaze will load the bottom controls (gear icon for settings, + and - icons for zoom), but will not load any map tiles. Close the browser, open it again, the page reloads, the prompt for location data permission comes up, click Allow, then the site works normally.

Tesla will need to fix the bug in the browser code, but until then you can use this work-around for any site that needs location data.

The browser in 2019.16.2 doesn’t seem to have an “x” that I could find so i swiped down until the browser was no longer visible while on the teslawinds page. When I reopened the browser, it did ask for permission to use location which I allowed. I now can get elevation data, but still no wind info.

Just figured I’d give an update on trying to get it working.

The browser in 2019.16.2 doesn’t seem to have an “x” that I could find so i swiped down until the browser was no longer visible while on the teslawinds page. When I reopened the browser, it did ask for permission to use location which I allowed. I now can get elevation data, but still no wind info.

Just figured I’d give an update on trying to get it working.
I had the app function for like half a day, since then I have not seen the prompt to 'allow location' again
hence the app has not worked
is this the method to force the browser to ask location again ?

Don't know if I've done something wrong, but it's not working for me. I tried it yesterday driving through the US and Canada. No Wind, no direction/location/speed.

Check both Open Weather map key, and Geo names log on.
Both look good.

Thanks,

I don’t see it mentioned earlier, but the speed jumping around was addressed either by Tesla in a software update or on the web site itself. The speed is now pretty stable. It maybe jumps around a few mph, but not swings of 100 mph like back in May.

Also, Tesla apparently fixed the location data bug in their browser with 2019.32.11.1 or maybe 2019.32.11. I saw this same issue last week on 2019.32.2.2, but not today. On 2019.32.11.1, you load the web page Like Tesla Winds and Elevation that wants your location and are immediately prompted for granting location data. Previously, you needed to load the page that wanted your location, close the browser, relaunch the browser, then grant permission to your location.

This page works much better now with these two issues addressed!

This web app is great, and was more or less a permanent feature on the lower half of my model s screen. Until the v10 update made it impossible for the browser to half screen, now it is 90% screen only. I hope this regression will be fixed.

I do not have version 10 on my S yet. Are you saying it only runs the browser in full screen mode? Another functionality is taken away?

I do not have version 10 on my S yet. Are you saying it only runs the browser in full screen mode? Another functionality is taken away?
Yes. On my 2019.32.11 MCU1 AP2.0, the browser is forced to be fully screen. You still can drag it down and resize it, but it won’t stay that way and will close as soon as you let go of your finger.

3E8DE1E1-7556-4638-B79A-631DDA22FBA2.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
I was really looking for it to go the other way. I wanted the half and quarter screen web browser on the Model 3. Can you guys open Music over top of the browser? When I click the music button to bring up the display of what's playing, the WHOLE browser (or energy display, or whatever window I had open) closes and this 1/8th display comes up. Cannot imagine that the S/X does that, but I would never imagine the browser would no longer be half-screenable

When I click the music button to bring up the display of what's playing, the WHOLE browser (or energy display, or whatever window I had open) closes and this 1/8th display comes up. Cannot imagine that the S/X does that, but I would never imagine the browser would no longer be half-screenable
Yes, the Model S also does that. Nothing can display simultaneously with the browser, which is full screen and essentially covers the map.

Yes, the Model S also does that. Nothing can display simultaneously with the browser, which is full screen and essentially covers the map.

If this is not a bug, it's yet another functionality being taken away with these so-called updates". I do not have V10 yet and not looking forward to it either. I miss version 7 and would love to have that back and run the Tesla Winds and Elevation on it.

• Love
Reactions: JoeS