Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Winds and Elevation Web Browser App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps something for the next (or the one after :rolleyes:) would be to be able to choose the colour of the car?

I can do it, but I need the graphical renderings of the model S (and model X, if available) in the different colors. I can get the side view from the design studio, but I haven't found any source for the overhead view other than the single one that I have, which is white.

I can do it, but I need the graphical renderings of the model S (and model X, if available) in the different colors. I can get the side view from the design studio, but I haven't found any source for the overhead view other than the single one that I have, which is white.

Do we have any graphics designers in the forum who might be able to help you out by photoshopping the colours? I would if I knew what I was doing :)

anyone?

Version 1.1.0.232 is released.

Changes:
  • Change kph to km/h for units readings for metric selection
  • Change time that is compared to sunrise/sunset for auto display mode from weather data time to local browser time
  • Comparison of time for sunrise/sunset auto display mode was being computed in winds AJAX subroutine (every 5 minutes), moved to position updater subroutine (every 30 seconds)
  • Changed auto display mode to use day mode from sunrise-15 min to sunset+15 min vice sunrise-30 min to sunset+30 min
  • Add Favicon icons for desktop and mobile browsers
  • Validate HTML and CSS, doctype changed to HTML5
  • Add Norwegian language
  • Add Spanish language
  • Update Model S side and top graphics with higher quality versions
  • Internal change to accommodate units in other languages
  • Fix language localization for elevation climbing/descending label

Spanish and Norwegian are from a carefully selected Google translate. :eek: I think I selected the proper words and phrasing, but Murphy's law would dictate otherwise. Please point out any errors and I will fix.

Reload/refresh in your browser to get the latest version, especially graphics (the old ones will be cached if you do not manually refresh/reload).

Reactions: Gwgan
SomeJoe, thanks for this app! It's great info and just fun to have.

GIven that winds are the largest unknown in the trip planner it is especially useful.

I was thinking having a display of the rated mile loss factor due to current winds would be nice. i.e. if I'm driving at 60 mph and the headwind is 15 mph, tell me I'm going to get .8 X (or whatever it is) of the rated miles I would otherwise get.

Thanks again!
Stiction

Excellent work. Very nice.
Is it the data refresh rate that dictates a 30mph minimum speed to calculate % grade / elevation rate of change?

The elevation mapping database has about 10 m resolution, but the data is noisy, i.e. there can be 20 ft variations in adjacent locations. The speed requirement is so that this noise is smoothed out.

By making the minimum required speed 30 mph, that means that over the 1 minute refresh interval, the car has to travel at least 1/2 mile. If you are actually on perfectly flat ground, and the mapping database has ~20 ft of noise, that's an erroneous 20 ft change over 2640 ft, resulting in a grade error of 0.8 % and a rate error of 20 ft/min. To keep these values as the maximum possible error values, I put the speed requirement in place.

If I were to allow grade and rate calculations at any speed, the error value shoots up a lot when you haven't traveled very far in the 1 minute refresh interval. You can end up with ridiculous grade computations.