Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Winds and Elevation Web Browser App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I found the issue and it's fixed on my development server. I've tested the new version in my car (old browser, firmware 2018.6.1), and I had someone test it on firmware 2018.14 (new browser) and it's working.

The issue is the following:
  • In the newer browser, a lot of modern security has been added. Javascript in the page doesn't seem to be able to request the geolocation from the browser unless the page and the Javascript was loaded using HTTPS. I believe the modern Chrome and Firefox desktop browsers are also enforcing this.
  • If I load the page via HTTPS, then I have to call the API sites at OpenWeatherMap.org and GeoNames.org using HTTPS also to avoid a mixed content warning in the browser.
  • I had to find all locations within the page and the Javascript where outside resources were loaded and change them to HTTPS.
  • I had to find a way to take a user's request for the non-secure page using HTTP and redirect him to the HTTPS page seamlessly.
  • The older browser doesn't support TLS 1.2, so I had to relax some of my security on the web server to allow TLS 1.0 to connect.

This appears to have solved the issue in the newer browser and is also maintaining backward compatibility with the old browser, although the HTTPS call is slower than the HTTP call. This fortunately only affects the loading speed, not the running speed.

It will take me a few days to get this pushed up to the main site at teslawinds.com, because I'll have to get an SSL certificate for it.

Once I'm confident that this fixes it for everyone, I'll see about lowering the position timer value so that the compass updates more often, which is now possible in the new browser.

OK, I found the issue and it's fixed on my development server. I've tested the new version in my car (old browser, firmware 2018.6.1), and I had someone test it on firmware 2018.14 (new browser) and it's working.

The issue is the following:
  • In the newer browser, a lot of modern security has been added. Javascript in the page doesn't seem to be able to request the geolocation from the browser unless the page and the Javascript was loaded using HTTPS. I believe the modern Chrome and Firefox desktop browsers are also enforcing this.
  • If I load the page via HTTPS, then I have to call the API sites at OpenWeatherMap.org and GeoNames.org using HTTPS also to avoid a mixed content warning in the browser.
  • I had to find all locations within the page and the Javascript where outside resources were loaded and change them to HTTPS.
  • I had to find a way to take a user's request for the non-secure page using HTTP and redirect him to the HTTPS page seamlessly.
  • The older browser doesn't support TLS 1.2, so I had to relax some of my security on the web server to allow TLS 1.0 to connect.

This appears to have solved the issue in the newer browser and is also maintaining backward compatibility with the old browser, although the HTTPS call is slower than the HTTP call. This fortunately only affects the loading speed, not the running speed.

It will take me a few days to get this pushed up to the main site at teslawinds.com, because I'll have to get an SSL certificate for it.

Once I'm confident that this fixes it for everyone, I'll see about lowering the position timer value so that the compass updates more often, which is now possible in the new browser.

Many thanks for your diligence in supporting this highly useful app. Looking forward for the new GA :)

Many thanks Joe. This app is virtually all the time on my central screen as it provides such crucial info for long range driving (200.000 miles on the ODO). I would like to have a second browser to do other things since I can't miss Tesla W&E. A second browser tab would also do the job but nothing available unfortunately...

I wish other successful developers would maintain their very popular app too. VT for instance ;)

Version 1.1.1.237 is released.

Changes:
  • Fix fail to load and run on Model S/X firmware v2018.14.0 and higher.
  • Entire website is now HTTPS, this is required due to new restrictions in new browser on firmware 2018.14.x regarding getting geolocation information from browser. If site is accessed using HTTP, client is automatically redirected to HTTPS.
  • Changed API calls to OpenWeatherMap.org and GeoNames.org to HTTPS to avoid mixed content warning.
  • Changed externally loaded scripts calls (JQuery, Google Analytics) to HTTPS to avoid mixed content warning.
  • Removed most WebKit 5.34-specific CSS elements (left some in to maintain backward compatibility with old browser on firmware before 2018.14.0). Most CSS now standard for WebKit 6.01.
  • Position update timer now set to 1 second -- compass, speeds, and wind vectors will now update in near-real time as you're driving. Position timer is no longer shown.
  • Due to much more frequent update of compass, removed jQuery-based compass rotation animation. Compass will now set to new reading without animation.
  • Modified CSS for settings panel for compatilbity with WebKit 6.01.
  • Web server is now Windows Server 2016 / IIS 10.0 for latest cryptography with HTTPS.

One known issue I've seen in testing is that when the vehicle is stopped, the GPS position tends to "drift" a little, and the drift direction can affect the compass reading. For example, if you're heading East and the compass reads 090, but you come to a stop, there's a chance the GPS position drifts a few feet to the left or right of your vehicle. These drifts then get computed to a new direction, so the compass may swing wildly to the North or South. Once you start moving again the compass will come back to show East/090 correctly. I may be able to correct this in a future update.

Please report any anomalies you find in the display or operation as quickly as possible. I only have my Model S for two more days, if I need to troubleshoot anything it will be way harder after I no longer have the Model S.

You may need to reboot your CID to make sure no old scripts or files are cached. Please do this first to make sure you have the latest files before you report anomalies.

Changes:
  • Entire website is now HTTPS, this is required due to new restrictions in new browser on firmware 2018.14.x regarding getting geolocation information from browser. If site is accessed using HTTP, client is automatically redirected to HTTPS.
  • Changed API calls to OpenWeatherMap.org and GeoNames.org to HTTPS to avoid mixed content warning.
  • Changed externally loaded scripts calls (JQuery, Google Analytics) to HTTPS to avoid mixed content warning.
  • Removed most WebKit 5.34-specific CSS elements (left some in to maintain backward compatibility with old browser on firmware before 2018.14.0). Most CSS now standard for WebKit 6.01.
  • Position update timer now set to 1 second -- compass, speeds, and wind vectors will now update in near-real time as you're driving. Position timer is no longer shown.
  • Due to much more frequent update of compass, removed jQuery-based compass rotation animation. Compass will now set to new reading without animation.
  • Web server is now Windows Server 2016 / IIS 10.0 for latest cryptography with HTTPS.

One known issue I've seen in testing is that when the vehicle is stopped, the GPS position tends to "drift" a little, and the drift direction can affect the compass reading. For example, if you're heading East and the compass reads 090, but you come to a stop, there's a chance the GPS position drifts a few feet to the left or right of your vehicle. These drifts then get computed to a new direction, so the compass may swing wildly to the North or South. Once you start moving again the compass will come back to show East/090 correctly. I may be able to correct this in a future update.

Please report any anomalies you find in the display or operation as quickly as possible. I only have my Model S for two more days, if I need to troubleshoot anything it will be way harder after I no longer have the Model S.

You may need to reboot your CID to make sure no old scripts or files are cached. Please do this first to make sure you have the latest files before you report anomalies.

Thank you very much for the quick fix. I did a reboot and took a quick drive. All looks good. You mentioned the "Position timer is no longer shown". I see the values are not shown but the field is still there. I see "Next Position Update: -- sec". Thoughts?

Thank you very much for the quick fix. I did a reboot and took a quick drive. All looks good. You mentioned the "Position timer is no longer shown". I see the values are not shown but the field is still there. I see "Next Position Update: -- sec". Thoughts?

Correct, the label and text is still there, although the timer value is not. This is as-intended for now. In a future version, I'll remove the label completely, but for now it's still present because other code still references it.

Thanks so much for this Tesla app SomeJoe7777. I deleted the old browser favorite, recreated a new one and rebooted the CID. I am happy to report the new version works fine. The wind information it references gives me a very positive knowledge level of driving range confidence when on a trip. Could I simply rely on Tesla's routing information? Sure - yes, but your app provides an alternative source of the critical information that is necessary when planning a trip or for the more pertinent need to adapt to actual driving conditions as they are changing while driving.

By the way, do you have any idea how many Tesla owners use this app? Also, I would be honored to assist you in keeping the app up to date by testing any future changes you want to make using my 2015 Model S 85.

Changes:

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the fix! One slight issue that’s left is the fact that the preferences screen doesn’t seem to allow changing them anymore (like going from Imperial to Metric).

Just found this thread. Nice work, Joe. Is it possible to create an IPhone or android app giving the same information for Model 3 drivers so we get the same info via our phones on a mount next to the screen? I’m clueless as to this stuff, so I have no idea how difficult it would be or even if it would even be possible. Tesla should hire you to incorporate this info into their nav system for better range estimation. :)

Can you load the site on the phone?
Just found this thread. Nice work, Joe. Is it possible to create an IPhone or android app giving the same information for Model 3 drivers so we get the same info via our phones on a mount next to the screen? I’m clueless as to this stuff, so I have no idea how difficult it would be or even if it would even be possible. Tesla should hire you to incorporate this info into their nav system for better range estimation. :)