Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Winds and Elevation Web Browser App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just tried TeslaWaze on my Iphone and my wife's Andriod and it seemed to work fine. After setting up the API keys on both phones, TeslaWinds should also work. Awhile back Google made a login security change that was not supported in the Tesla browser for several months; however, that was something that was NOT changed by Tesla but this appears to be something Tesla deliberately removed from the onboard browser. Hope Tesla fixes location services because the car has internet data access most of the time while traveling and out phones do not; likewise, looking at the information on the phone, while driving, would be less safe than viewing on the large car screen.

BTW, I also appreciate the TeslaWinds developers efforts!

Thanks for the few years of use. Your programming efforts were not in vain. Just in case Tesla decides to restore the browser geolocation API, will this resource still be available? I don't road trip so much anymore but I want to thank you for the effort because it really reduced range anxiety when Superchargers were further apart.

Thanks Randy. I feel humbled by your technological insight. lol I don't know why I didn't think of using my smartphone but since you mentioned it I used it to log in to teslawinds.com and sure enough the data is still coming through. Now I just need a slightly larger screen, lol, but it is working like you said so if I need it I know I have it.

It occurred to me that the technology part of our lives can be challenging at times. We must constantly be on guard to not let ourselves be overwhelmed by it. Constantly strive to learn something new every day but avoid rabbit holes or at least become familiar with the attraction enough to realize when you've descended into one.

Looks like next time I take a road trip I'll have to take my iPad with cellular connection.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
My favorite thing about this webapp is the elevation change, I often look down the highway and I cannot perceive if the road is going up or down, to my eyes it looks like it's going up when in reality is must be flat as it does this for miles and the Central Valley floor is still the same, so for a long time I used this app to differentiate what my eyes were lying to me about.

Then I got a CanServer, and I dedicated one of the microdisplays while driving to altitude and %grade. It's not always exactly right, but usually w/ in about 25 to 50 feet of the actual altitude given at highway signs and when I get back to sea level. It's nice to have a similar percent grade graph, it's a bar graph, but it updates several times a second compared to this webapp which updates very slowly compared to the highway.

Anyone else getting certificate errors now? On 2022.12.3.1.
Yeah, I upgraded to 2022.12.3.1 yesterday and noticed the certificate error this morning. I was driving at the time, so didn't bother reading it then. Trying to go to the Tesla Winds and Elevation web site in a browser on my computer also yields an error that the certificate expired 4 days ago.

1650750483692.png

This is an error that the webmaster at the Tesla Winds site will need to correct. This has nothing to do with the Tesla software update. There is nothing you can do to address the issue other than wait for the person running the web server to fix the certificate.

Yeah, I upgraded to 2022.12.3.1 yesterday and noticed the certificate error this morning. I was driving at the time, so didn't bother reading it then. Trying to go to the Tesla Winds and Elevation web site in a browser on my computer also yields an error that the certificate expired 4 days ago.

View attachment 796833

This is an error that the webmaster at the Tesla Winds site will need to correct. This has nothing to do with the Tesla software update. There is nothing you can do to address the issue other than wait for the person running the web server to fix the certificate.

It runs on any device with a browser without the error you are mentioning.

As far as I can tell, the geolocation API has been removed from the browser. JavaScript apps running in the browser can no longer obtain the location.

I have no good solution for this. The only possibility would be to ask for the Tesla login and password and obtain the car's location via Tesla's API, but I don't want to mess with that. Setup of the application is already kind of difficult as it is (two API keys required) and I don't like the idea of having to ask people for their Tesla login credentials. (Even though they wouldn't get sent to the server -- I'd have the JavaScript running in the browser handle the login and the API calls.) Also, the Tesla API location lags behind the car's actual location by several seconds, so the course and speed data would no longer be real-time but would instead lag behind your actual driving.

In addition, the screen real estate for the browser has been reduced and the site would need revisions to the layout to make it work properly in v11.

Sorry gents, but unless Tesla restores the geolocation API in the browser I don't think I can make this work in a user-friendly and secure way.
Hi, just a thought. Many Tesla Owners also use TeslaFi which has access to the vehicle location, perhaps it's worth talking to these guys as they might have a solution via an API call to their app.

Still getting the bad cert in the car and on my phone, but at least safari gives me the option to proceed anyway.

If working for you, just a guess but is your location shared with the web page? Touch leftmost URL area.