Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Windscreen Slime

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve tried, I really have...but I can’t find the thread I originally saw reference the showroom ‘stuff’ they put on new car windscreen at Tesla Birmingham.Someone posted a great way to get rid of it.

I’ve tried most things now, but there’s still a film on my windscreen. It’s almost impossible to get off...

Tried:

White vinegar solution
Traditional window cleaner
Multiple microfibre clothes
Elbow grease.
Hot soapy water
Neighbours cat (without claws)

if anyone knows how to get this stuff off, or even what it is?! I’d appreciate the info.

The neighbours are starting to think I’m going over the top with cleaning my windscreen...but they can’t see the film!!!

maybe I’m losing it?

Yup same problem on my Model 3 and Model X.

I've Claybar'd it and Magic Eraser'd it. Still has scum (on both sides).

All other windows fine. Just the Windshield.

Brand new Chevy Volt. Windex and Paper towel and it's crystal clear.

I'm about to try polishing it. But that seems ridiculous on a new windshield.
But I'm also concerned there is a deliberate coating on it of some sort.

At night it looks pretty good. But when the sun hits it just right it looks like crap. And when it fogs up you can tell it's not "even", with streaks every which way.

When I put Invisible Glass spray on it, you can see all the "streaks" and they persist until bone dry.

I can also still see the suction cup marks when it fogs up from installing the glass which tells me it's still not clean.

Reactions: DB85

At night it looks pretty good. But when the sun hits it just right it looks like crap. And when it fogs up you can tell it's not "even", with streaks every which way.

When I put Invisible Glass spray on it, you can see all the "streaks" and they persist until bone dry.

I can also still see the suction cup marks when it fogs up from installing the glass which tells me it's still not clean.
Funny, my 16 Volt was like that. It still had suction cup marks when I traded it in last year.

I’m also concerned it’s a deliberate coat. Does anyone know if it is? Or just something the showroom team ‘slapped on’?

Same experience here on the inside windscreen. The culprit appears to have been incompatible spray cleaner. Once I switched to a non-eco sense type spray it cleaned better. Still had patches on sundown conditions so I cleaned them manual rubbing them off in stop and go traffic with AP keeping me going. This process took me 2-3 weeks. Lot's of youtube to figure out why I could not easily clean a new car interior windscreen.

I used Griots Polish and Sealer. With a DA. You can do it by hand too but DA is way easier.

Some people have had good luck with Bon Ami ( make sure you use the correct one). I’ve never used it.

I tried clay bar (griots made for glass) and magic eraser and it still would not come off. The griots Polish is very gentle. It’s made to remove water marks and road grime. It’s not “compounding” the glass.

I posted pictures here (see post #7)

Cleaning the windshield Magic Eraser? Claybar? Invisible Glass?

I used Griots Polish and Sealer. With a DA. You can do it by hand too but DA is way easier.

Some people have had good luck with Bon Ami ( make sure you use the correct one). I’ve never used it.

I tried clay bar (griots made for glass) and magic eraser and it still would not come off. The griots Polish is very gentle. It’s made to remove water marks and road grime. It’s not “compounding” the glass.

I posted pictures here (see post #7)

Cleaning the windshield Magic Eraser? Claybar? Invisible Glass?

Informative and convincing thread for sure....especially where you polished. I’ve had no issues with the outside. My issue is the interior windshield. Did you polish or Griots that or use something different? I just purchased Magic Eraser as attempt number 10,000 it seems.

Ski

Informative and convincing thread for sure....especially where you polished. I’ve had no issues with the outside. My issue is the interior windshield. Did you polish or Griots that or use something different? I just purchased Magic Eraser as attempt number 10,000 it seems.

Ski

I did not polish inside. I’d like to but to risky making a mess. I did do magic eraser on the inside. The bulk was on the outside and I still may have something on the inside.

Reactions: Skione65
The inside of new cars, and especially the model 3, can get a greasy film. Mine suffered from this. This is caused by “off gassing” of the plastic components post manufacturing. To solve mine I had to use Invisible Glass, magic eraser, and then invisible glass again. It took a total of 3 applications over a 3 week period to get it completely clean on the inside.

The outside for me wasn’t as big an issue. I solved that with Invisible Glass, magic eraser, Invisible glass and then finally using AquaPel.

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65