Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Winter Tire Package - Lead-time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was into Tesla Oakville on Friday for a window seal issue. I obviously inquired about my Winter Tires especially it being a story day and all they could say was you will get an email of when your tires shipped. I ordered them Aug 23rd (18 Aeros). Unfortunately while we were there the technician got an error "Airbag Failure Contact Tesla Service" They sent me packing in an ICE loaner and havent heard anything yet. At least the X3 they have me in is AWD.

I get it that he may be overworked but this can’t come as a surprise to anyone (not Tesla not the third party provider, none of them). I ordered my winter tire set like many others with more than enough lead time to get them here in time for the cold weather but it has been radio silence.
The tire guys’ voice mail has been consistently full. Emails are not answered.
I would have even appreciated the option of just picking up the tires from Tesla and bringing them to my local guy to install them. I have a driving trip planned to Montreal on Friday and I’m seriously reconsidering whether I can take the 3 with the 19” tires.
I have a mental image of 1 guy driving around in a van full of tires trying to manually install tires on hundreds of cars with a hand jack!

I have a driving trip planned to Montreal on Friday and I’m seriously reconsidering whether I can take the 3 with the 19” tires.

I'm also driving to Montreal this weekend. Supposed to get my winter tires installed by tire guys today (I think I ordered October 8th) ... Though the weather is supposed to be fine and I wouldn't be worried about it. No snow expected and some rain on Sunday/Monday but above freezing.

I have been obsessively checking the weather (and I never check the weather!) - I’m originally from Montreal - more worried about slick ice on the highway than anything else. The 19” all seasons are poor (in my opinion) in the weather we have been having so far.

Still radio silence re delivery or installation. (Seriously, if they are so backed up, which is inexcusable, but still, just give people the option of picking them and installing them elsewhere - I would grab that in a heartbeat and eat the cost of installation even though I “paid” for it already through the package).

Good luck on the drive (going to see a Habs game Sat night!)

I gave up on Tesla for my winter tires. I ordered my model X on sept. 16. At that moment I asked my OA if I could order the winter tires now. She literally told me, we don't want to order them too soon and have them around the Montreal SC for nothing. Wait for your car to enter production. Last month I contacted her and she told me it was going to be hard to have them on time for my November 30th delivery.
I just ordered some aftermarket 19" rims from Los Angeles and some Nokian Hakka R3 from my local tire shop. Ketting the rims shipped and here in less than 5 days...

EDIT: the story with Tesla is a little bit more complicated than that. I didn't want the package with the Pirelli tires. My OA told me that we could order the 19" or 20" set and that they had some Nokian tires in stock at the SC and do the swap for the same price. When I wanted to order the tire after my car went to production, she told me that all Nokian tires were sold out... She told me that I could order the 19" rims from Tesla alone, just to contact parts, etc. That was the part I never got any return in three weeks. Left several messages to the part department. Sent email to my OA and DS, who excalated it to parts saying that they will contact me back. Nothing...

The 19” all seasons are poor (in my opinion) in the weather we have been having so far.

That's interesting. I find that the 18" ones have been no problem at all so far. Only day it might not have been great was last Thursday when it snowed, but it was the first snow of the year and everyone was going really really slowly.

Though I agree Tesla botched the whole delivery/install process.

Enjoy the Habs game!

Thanks for this thread. I was going to order my tires from Tesla but ended up going to Kal Tire instead.

They are installing them this weekend providing they feel comfortable hoisting the car. Hopefully I didnt make a mistake. Would love to hear anyones feedback on this.

Ok. Just got a call from Andre The Tire Storage Guy. He is definitely overworked but he could not have been more accommodating. For some reason he had in his notes that my tires were to be dropped at Tesla Lawrence (not sure where that came from) but after explaining that I was doing this road trip to Montreal on Friday he first asked if I could drive out to Markham to get them installed (which I can’t tomorrow) so he said as long as I can leave the car out in my driveway all day tomorrow and he can come when he can, he will do it in my driveway! Fantastic.

Just to close the loop on this. They showed up at about 10:40 this morning and had the whole thing done very quickly. Courteous, professional and very detail oriented. I was very pleased.

A couple of interesting observations.

1. No plastic tire bags for the tires they took off. This is not a big deal, but even Jiffly Lube wraps your old tires in a cheap plastic bag - but then again, perhaps that is because most places expect you to take your tires home with you in the back of the car - I have never had a mobile swap done in my driveway, so just pointing this out.
  2. He did NOT have the Aero covers. He confirmed that the package does come with the Aero Covers, but (for some reason) the Aero covers would be couriered to my house later this afternoon. This seems terribly inefficient (and expensive for Tesla) but FYI. So while I currently don’t have the Aero covers, I am expecting them sometime “later today”.
Will report back with any thoughts on the noticeable differences (ride quality, noise, efficiency) between the 19” all season and the 18” winter.
Thx

Interesting! Maybe he ran out? I sort of got the impression that he moved some appointments around today (he only called me yesterday) to get my tires done because of my upcoming trip to Montreal tomorrow and he wanted to get the winters on before I leave early tomorrow morning. (Now, I could just be making that up - but it makes me feel better) Not sure how that impacts whether or not he had the Aeros but...?

I asked my SC if they could help me with the mounting of my tires on my rims and they declined. They confirmed to me that starting now, they are entering a new end of quarter delivery hell. I'll go with my local garage to fit my tires on my rims and then mount them myself on my X once I get it next week!

Finally got hold of someone from they calgary SC. They said another 2 weeks (I've been waiting 2 months). They did say that Calgary takes the order for all three prairie provinces which is part of the delay, but the main issue being the tires on back order.

Ordered mine Oct 22, after only getting an email that the tireinstallguys where busy, I called last week and they said I could get them installed in markham at the buttonville airport on sunday, so when down there and got them installed in about 20 min, also didn't receive the covers and was told they would be sent out.