Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Winter Tire Package - Lead-time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got 18 inch winter wheels + tires package installed by mobile service tonight. Apparently aero caps are not included in winter package? First time know that. Also the technician says 45 psi is the standard pressure for winter?

Haven't driven anywhere yet, will report back later.

Just got 18 inch winter wheels + tires package installed by mobile service tonight. Apparently aero caps are not included in winter package? First time know that. Also the technician says 45 psi is the standard pressure for winter?

I’d go with 42psi cold pressure. The technicisn probably meant 45psi when the tires warm up.

FYI -- I just talked with Montreal Service Centre (Parts Department) this morning about rims. It seems Tesla has massively underestimated the demand for additional 18" Aero rims and they are out of stock. I was told that they weren't expecting any until January, and some orders may not be able to be fulfilled as a result. He didn't seem very happy about the whole situation (no doubt there will be lots of frustrated customers as a result).

Of course, this means I don't have separate rims for winter -- which likely means I'll have to swap tires on to the existing rims until I can get a second set. (I do not want third party rims, so no point in suggesting them to me -- thanks.)

I will be posting to the "ask a question" and flagging it for executive review -- as this seems like a botched high-level issue to me. Others might want to do the same if they are affected.

Really? From Tesla site:

Includes:

• 4 x 18X8.5J Aero wheels
  • 4 x 235/45/18 - PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO™ SERIE II
  • 4 x tire pressure sensors
  • 4 x Tesla logo Aero wheel caps

The site is probably referring to the aero covers and not the cap kit. I would approach the service center or email customer service to see if they will send you a free aero lug and center cap kit before they change the wording on their site. I ordered a kit and it was missing a lug cap cover removal tool and they are sending me an entire kit as a replacement when they are back in stock.

IMG_20181031_202541.jpg

Yeah, definitely expected to have the aero caps / covers whatever you call it. Sent an email to customer support for clarification.

I assumed based on the photo online that the package included the *covers* but I see now that the description indicates it included the *caps*. Presumably there's not much use for the caps if they're not visible behind the covers. I was planning to use the covers (for efficiency.) Is that silly in the winter/snow? Should I just take the supposedly included *caps* and leave the Aero covers that came with the vehicle aside? Or save the caps and swap the covers from the all-season wheel set?

I see you're in North Van. What mobile tire contractor are they using? I'm in the Valley and haven't received a call yet. Sep 24 order.

I own 19" summers. I ordered the 18" for winter and expected to get the 18" aero covers at a minimum. They are clearly pictured. Getting the center caps would seem to be in order since they're also listed (but I wasn't expecting them).

Given that the picture for the winter package clearly shows the aero covers, I will be pretty pissed if they don’t come with them. That was one of my main purposes for getting that package from Tesla. But I admit that i do see now it says Tesla Logo aero wheel caps which sure seems like the “covers” are not included.

Given that the picture for the winter package clearly shows the aero covers, I will be pretty pissed if they don’t come with them. That was one of my main purposes for getting that package from Tesla. But I admit that i do see now it says Tesla Logo aero wheel caps which sure seems like the “covers” are not included.

Same here, I ordered based on that picture and the fact they are described as "Aero Wheels"... I just got a call earlier before I saw these to tell me I will get an email to set up the appointment on the weekend. Althought I don't think the lady on the phone would have known to be honest.

Same here, I ordered based on that picture and the fact they are described as "Aero Wheels"... I just got a call earlier before I saw these to tell me I will get an email to set up the appointment on the weekend. Althought I don't think the lady on the phone would have known to be honest.
The more I read the description, the more I am (now) convinced that the winter tire package does not come with the aero covers.
Has anyone else taken delivery yet?
This would be disappointing. The picture on the shopping site shows the cover. What is an aero wheel cap? The Tesla center cap is hardly aero specific. It is a standard Tesla cap.

Last edited: