Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Winter Tire Package - Lead-time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone has actually order & received their packages from a service centre recently? Is it usually radio silence if there's an issue?

I ordered online a month ago and no news yet... read online that they can be on backorder for months which is making me very very nervous given the "early winter" we've been experiencing in Calgary!

Yeah, immediately charging your card before the product ships is not the best customer experience, but I guess cash flow is king.

SC says they’re just waiting on tires (they can pull up tire orders apparently in the system). Fingers crossed!

I wonder if the prices of Tesla wheel packages or wheels alone in Canada are going up 25% due to Trump’s tariffs on steel and aluminum.

I just brought over 2 sets of TSportline wheels (one set of 19” and one set of 18” wheels) over the border and the Canadian Customs Officer said I was lucky that the computer system was not accepting the new code for charging steel and aluminum products yet. I would have been dinged another $600 if the computer system was accepting the new code. If anyone is on the fence about wheels that are made in the US, I’d jump on it soon before tariffs kick in.

This will definitely change my plans to order a set of 20” forged TSportlines around Xmas, it will cost another $1250 in duty/tariffs.

• Informative
Reactions: akidesir
I wonder if the prices of Tesla wheel packages or wheels alone in Canada are going up 25% due to Trump’s tariffs on steel and aluminum.

I just brought over 2 sets of TSportline wheels (one set of 19” and one set of 18” wheels) over the border and the Canadian Customs Officer said I was lucky that the computer system was not accepting the new code for charging steel and aluminum products yet. I would have been dinged another $600 if the computer system was accepting the new code. If anyone is on the fence about wheels that are made in the US, I’d jump on it soon before tariffs kick in.

This will definitely change my plans to order a set of 20” forged TSportlines around Xmas, it will cost another $1250 in duty/tariffs.

May I ask how much the rims were with exchange, shipping, taxes and duty? I'm planning to use my aero rims with new winter tires (Nokian R3 or Michelin XIce3) and getting either the OEM rims or a set of TSportline, but don't have a sense of the additional costs incurred crossing the border. Appreciate the help.

May I ask how much the rims were with exchange, shipping, taxes and duty? I'm planning to use my aero rims with new winter tires (Nokian R3 or Michelin XIce3) and getting either the OEM rims or a set of TSportline, but don't have a sense of the additional costs incurred crossing the border. Appreciate the help.

The 18” space grey were TSportlines were $1340 USD ($1340x1.33 = 1782 CDN) shipped to a US receiver, $16CDN fee to pick up from the receiver, $180CDN duty.

So about $2000 CDN for the 18” wheels.

The 19” wheels were $1720 USD shipped.
After all fees, duty and conversion of the dollar it was about $2550CDN.

Another 25% steel and aluminum tariff would have added over a thousand dollars to the two set of wheels if I got them at a later date.

Last edited:
Picked up my metallic grey 19” TSportlines with Nokian R3’s. Will probably mount them in a few weeks and will update the energy usage difference. I was surprised by the tire not being low rolling resistance, but being “ultra” low rolling resistance. I tried searching for charts comparing rolling resistance between tires and brands, but haven’t found anything. Wikipedia does show some numbers for different tires, but it’s not a very standardized measure using different tire sizes and info from 2003.

Attachments

• 91C9A844-D359-4647-889B-B506B544E6AB.jpeg
    91C9A844-D359-4647-889B-B506B544E6AB.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 117
  • AFD85534-5452-45EC-8753-C84D649F9B8B.jpeg
    AFD85534-5452-45EC-8753-C84D649F9B8B.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 79
  • E14BE6E2-C0C3-41E1-94F0-9D13E93F3C76.jpeg
    E14BE6E2-C0C3-41E1-94F0-9D13E93F3C76.jpeg
    294.2 KB · Views: 77
  • B7FED306-7944-49F6-97E7-1B123EB00EFA.jpeg
    B7FED306-7944-49F6-97E7-1B123EB00EFA.jpeg
    453.9 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
I believe the trump’s tariff only apply to raw materials

Manufactured products should not pay extra tax on top of the product price

Otherwise, it means all import cars shall pay 25% of tariff just because they are made of aluminum and steels. Simply not true

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
For those who are buying the aero winter package from Tesla do they charge an additional amount for putting them on the car / each change? I know stupid question

The package price includes building the wheel & tire as well as swap/installation. A decent deal in my opinion for the 240 sottozeros + a second set of aeros + tpms + labour. Especially if you consider the US package is priced about $200 CAD higher.

Will run down these tires the consider a switch to Nokian.

Picked up my metallic grey 19” TSportlines with Nokian R3’s. Will probably mount them in a few weeks and will update the energy usage difference. I was surprised by the tire not being low rolling resistance, but being “ultra” low rolling resistance. I tried searching for charts comparing rolling resistance between tires and brands, but haven’t found anything. Wikipedia does show some numbers for different tires, but it’s not a very standardized measure using different tire sizes and info from 2003.
Did you order them and have them mounted in the US?

I believe the trump’s tariff only apply to raw materials

Manufactured products should not pay extra tax on top of the product price

Otherwise, it means all import cars shall pay 25% of tariff just because they are made of aluminum and steels. Simply not true

I took the customs officer’s word thinking he knew the rules. After a little research, you’re correct. Here’s a list of products that fall under the 25% steel and 10% aluminum tariffs. I’ll show this to the customs officer next time I cross over.

Countermeasures in Response to Unjustified Tariffs on Canadian Steel and Aluminum Products